Welcome Guest! You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum. This is only a sampling.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sage smells  (Read 6947 times)

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: eclectic pagan
Sage smells
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »

So I decided to burn some sage in a room that has never quite felt 'right' in my apartment, and was reminded how much sage smells like pot.  I tried rubbing some rosemary oil into the leaves but this only helped a bit.  Is there any way to burn sage without the room smelling like Cheech and Chong's basement? 

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Re: Sage smells
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »

Thats why I dont burn sage in my house!  It smells too much like pot and it makes my sons allergies flaire up!  Sorry I'm not much help LOL

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »

That's why it works so well, dear, the bad 'uns don't like it! You can try sweetgrass or juniper, but anything effective will smell. White Sage is tops for cleansing, though.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »

You can cleans an area in many ways that don't require you to use burning sage.  I'm not hugely fond of the smell myself, but it is more the massive migraine that I end up with after burning it that makes me use other methods.

I have used many different things from my favorite incense to sound to cleans an area.  Sometimes just a good physical cleaning followed by some wonderful music and some scented candles will do the trick.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »

Yeah I usually would opt for physical cleaning but it's a new building and it felt weird from the beginning when there was nothing in it.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that the building that was here before it was bombed out in the war. 

At least it's upstairs (and I'm on the top floor) so my neighbours wont think I smoke up in my living room or something.

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »

Is there any way to burn sage without the room smelling like Cheech and Chong's basement? 

I wish there was.   :gaah:

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:50:16 PM »

It's not so much that it smells that bothers me, just that it smells like -that-

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »

I actually really like the smell and find it different from the smell of pot. I also sometimes burn some homemade smudge sticks of lavender and rosemary for purification and that also smells quite different to me. You might try drying some of those and see if you like the smell better.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »

I actually really like the smell and find it different from the smell of pot. I also sometimes burn some homemade smudge sticks of lavender and rosemary for purification and that also smells quite different to me. You might try drying some of those and see if you like the smell better.

Thanks for the tip...I have loads of dried lavender and rosemary since I grow both in my garden.

Whatever variety of sage I have growing (the plant just said 'sage' but it has a dusty sort of leaf) smells like "BC Bud" which is a generic term for the pot grown in British Columbia (where I grew up) and is stronger (and stronger smelling from my experience here) than normal.

Edit:  Google tells me I'm growing Spanish Sage
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:04:40 AM by VenusInFurs »

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »

You need white sage.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »

I've never seen it over here....I'm skeptical that it -has- to be white sage because early Europeans used sage for purifying too and white sage is native to North America, so the Greeks and Romans would have been using more what we have here.  I don't really do it as a 'smudge' type thing...if I burn it I use it more as an insence, by letting it smolder in a small pot.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:19:18 AM by VenusInFurs »

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Fanatic
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »

I like the smell too ... and I could never figure out why the kids think it smells like pot, I never thought so.  I usually only use White Sage though.
Being still and doing nothing are two very different things.
Mr. Han ... The Karate Kid

[img width= height=]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10200;104/st/20140501/e/Beltane/dt/-3/k/7c43/event.png[/img]

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »

I never thought sage smelled like pot... I mean I guess I can see the connection. I don't know.
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »

I dont find white sage to have the bad "pot" smell as some of the other sages.  My HPS grows her own sage (forget which variety) but her's definatly has that pot aroma!  I wouldnt say it smells exactly like it but close enough to where if someone came in the house and didn't know what was going on they would think it was pot.

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »

I dont find white sage to have the bad "pot" smell as some of the other sages.  My HPS grows her own sage (forget which variety) but her's definatly has that pot aroma!  I wouldnt say it smells exactly like it but close enough to where if someone came in the house and didn't know what was going on they would think it was pot.

Yeah exactly haha.

I've never seen white sage here unfortunately.  It's not native to Europe and I think that the varieties that are are so widespread and grow so well that there's not really been much point in importing it.  And from what I understand shamanism isn't very popular on this side of the atlantic.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

I think any kind of burning leaf can be mistaken for pot by someone not real used to pot smoke. I smoke pipe tobacco which is as distinctive of a smell with its rich blends of tobacco and sometimes vanilla as a person can get. Sometimes I have people tease me about smoking pot, some are just joking but sometimes they are just not familiar with how pot actually smells. I have a really good sense of smell and it surprises me how untrained and unused some noses are. Smells are like a language that the brain learns.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44:19 PM »

I LOVE the smell of pipe tobacco!

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »

lol I grew up in BC though and it's one of the most pot-tolerant places in North America and you often smell it walking down the street in the bigger cities and at concerts, and almost everyone tries it by the end of college (I'll leave you to decide what that means in my case lol), and I still thought that the sage I burned smelled like weed.
But I've been away from BC for 4 years now so maybe I'm out of the loop now.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:04 PM »

lol I grew up in BC though and it's one of the most pot-tolerant places in North America and you often smell it walking down the street in the bigger cities and at concerts, and almost everyone tries it by the end of college (I'll leave you to decide what that means in my case lol), and I still thought that the sage I burned smelled like weed.
But I've been away from BC for 4 years now so maybe I'm out of the loop now.

I have heard from pot head friends that BC is one of the places to definitely go if a person in into that sort of thing. I always think any burning herb smell seems a little like pot. I can only imagine what a world of information is open to dogs with their great noses. If they could talk they would certainly sound like one of those wine guys who can tell you all about a wine with one sip.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »

"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

Mongo

• Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »

Actually it's not that Sage smells like Pot, half as much as some varieties of Pot can smell like Sage.

Subtle difference I know and sure sounds like I'm splitting hairs.

But while can honestly say that I have never indulged, I have had many friends who do. I don't have a problem with this and if it is ever legalized I'll be one of the first to try a hit because my friends use is responsibly. Their usage is no more or less than my enjoying an occasional drink. In fact I have heard it referred to as "Leafy Bourbon"

Now being an herbalist, I have a nose for potency of herbs by the smell of the unburnt leaved. I can tell you if I'm going to get a goodly amount of Lavender Oil from a batch of flowers, or if I'm going to be wasting my time. This skill means that I can tell the potency og Pot as well. Something my friends would avail themselves of by asking me to smell the pot and ask if they got good stuff or skunk weed.

Several varieties of Pot have a strong Sage-like smell to it. Other times, sage is mixed into the Pot to make a poorer quality leaf a little better. Rosemary and Thyme are also sometimes added to the batch to improve the quality or to make more money by selling an ounce of something while only giving you half an ounce of Pot.

This is why Sage often reminds people of Pot, because they've encountered the Sage-like pot, or Sage cut pot.

Now, a way to get around the whole "burnt sage smells like pot" issue is to extract the aromatic oils in Sage using a hydro-distillation method or if you're lazy, buy some sage oil. Mix the sage oil in some water you've purified and charged in ritual and shake it up and spritz into the air if the place you're trying to cleanse.

This way you get the sage-y goodness, without the "Cheech and Chong's Basement" smell.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 08:58:11 AM »

What a great Idea! (the sage oil)

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »

I'm sure that in BC it's not that it's cut with sage.  I mean, I knew people that grew the stuff (not as a grow-op, but 'personal use'...a lot of people do it and if you have under 3 plants it's a misdemeanor and usually not punished) so I'm pretty positive that no one was cheated.  BUT it's a pretty leafy (like thicker leaves) variety so maybe it could smell like sage?   That would make sense.

I really like the sage oil idea.  I don't know how to extract essential oils from plants, but I'm positive I can find sage oil because sage is widely used in Germany for healing and you can get all sorts of sage teas, creams, leaves, etc.  Thanks a ton!

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »

In case you ever want to make your own sage pil. You can make an infused oil rather than a steam distilled essential oil. Just just put torn up leaves of the plant in a jar and cover with oil (olive oil works well) and let it sit for 6 weeks. You can also speed the process by warming the oil.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:54 AM »

In case you ever want to make your own sage pil. You can make an infused oil rather than a steam distilled essential oil. Just just put torn up leaves of the plant in a jar and cover with oil (olive oil works well) and let it sit for 6 weeks. You can also speed the process by warming the oil.

Great tip, especially since I have a very large sage plant.  Do dried or fresh leaves work better?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 1.597 seconds with 26 queries.