Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you decorate for the holidays?  (Read 7773 times)

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
How do you decorate for the holidays?
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »

Well we are moving next week but I bought my all white christmas tree last night so I can put it up when we get moved in!  Then I plan on making a yule log this year (and please disregard hubbys yule log comments on FB LOL)

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: How do you decorate for the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »

Normally I put up some lights and a small artificial tree. Last year I got a 7' pre-lit tree that never made it out of the box, and this year I'm really not interested in decorating. Next year, maybe. I've been seeing Stag ornaments and decorations, and I think I'm going to go with that theme.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »

I put up an artificial tree with red and white lights, silver and red ornaments, beads and stuff.  I also hang stockings and several wreaths along with Poinsettias (fake due to the cats) and candles scattered around.  I hang icicle lights and stars on the balcony railing.  I guess that's about it...
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

We used to put the tree up because of the boys, prior to that, we just had a little ceramic tree that plugged in. Lisa never cared for decorating.  :rolleye:
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:57 PM »

When I had a house, I used to climb up on the roof and hang those big lights all around the roof lines.  I also put lights in all the bushes.  Now that was some serious work but it was fun! Decorating the apartment is a whole lot easier.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »

I go all out.  I adore decorating for the holidays.  I have two big trees (the product of Hubby and I having our own households when we met), one is more modern with blue, silver and white decorations and the other is more of a Victorian theme with really old fashioned, antique looking ornaments.  Each of the kids has their own small tree that they get to decorate.  It allows them to feel like they get to help without me sacrificing my best ornaments to little, distracted fingers.  :whistle:  The plan is to have them collect an ornament or two each year and then they would have a tree and decorations to take with them when they are old enough to get their own place.

I also have garland that I put up on the fireplace and along the railing, but with lights (I LOVE lights).  Instead of putting anything on the fireplace to hold the stockings, I tie them around the railing to the basement stairs (which is between where my trees are) using ribbon.  The animals have their stockings on one side and the rest of the family has theirs on the other.  I also collect nutcrackers and those line the stairs.  Mixed in amongst all the other decorations are little nic-nacs that my mom passed to me from my childhood.

Outdoors is a light fest.  We found some amazing LED icicle lights that look like real, dripping icicles.  We have those hanging from all the peaks and gutters.  I also have lighted garland around the garage and windows.  All the bushes have lights on them in clusters of color.  The bushes in front of the dinning room are blue this year and the ones in front of the office are green.  Our big Maple tree in the front yard is red.  There are a few little bitty trees along the driveway and I have a couple of bigger trees next to my window on the porch. 

Sadly, most people that come by our house don't see all of our pretty decorations.  They are distracted by our neighbors, the Griswolds (for those that don't know... the movie "Christmas Vacation" may give you a hint).  :laughfit:
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »

We cut a real tree and have an assortment of homemade ornaments or ornaments given to us over the years that we put on it so there is no real theme. The kids have also been acquiring a bunch of their own ornaments. I'm not too picky anymore about how it looks and let them decorate it. I put greens on the mantel where we hand our stockings and white paper birch candle holders with white hand-dipped candles that the kids and I made. Our decor is rather earthy, natural and kid oriented. I wouldn't decorate at all outside if it were left to me, but hubby has taken an interest and adds some new lights every year. He's going with the Griswold theme.  Again, I really don't mind how it looks as long as he doesn't start getting into the giant inflatable plastic Santas and snowmen.  :whistle:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »

I really like the Idea of having a tree just for the kids Fox!  I think I'm going to set up my 4ft green tree and let the kids have at it.  Then the white tree can be mine...all mine...MWAHAHAHAHA  :D

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »

We have a fiber-optic tree, in which the tree, lights, ornaments, and topper are all one piece of plastic, with a single bulb in a protected position in the base making the whole thing light up. With our cats, it's the only safe way...

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Carmie

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Learning
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »

I've got a plastic tree that I normally decorate after the 15th.  It's my eldest's birthday and I've always left it til after the birthday to decorate.  She doesn't even live at home any more, but old habits die hard.  Other than that, I might throw a few banners around and have a wreath on the door.  But nothing over the top. 
The day I stop learning is the day they'll nail my coffin shut.
Perverted and Proud!

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »

Live tree, white lights, a mish-mash of ornaments. I put out my Christmas Angels, change my altar for the season, hang something on the door, and wrap the front railings. So far, I have only got my altar and angels done.

"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:09:21 PM »

Pretty! :D
Blessings,
dragon

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

We have a pre-lit fake tree with an eclectic mix of ornaments ... I have one for each year since I was born, plus those I've bought for hubby and gifts we've received over the years.  It's different every year as I just start placing them wherever I feel they need to go so they are never in the same place twice.

I also do the entire fireplace mantle and over the entertainment center with my Santa collection (I'm up to 21 this year!) and have a wreath on both sides of the front door (inside and outside).  Lastly, I redo my dining room table and seasonal altar.

So far, I've only gotten the tree mostly done (still needs tinsel) and the mantle.  I'm hoping to finish it up before the end of the week.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 12:15:35 AM »

It's gotten a lot simpler now that all the random holiday stuffed animals have been rescued from a bag by me and stowed away...

Pre-lit fake tree, randomness with the ornaments, certain ornaments always go in the exact same spot. Little kitten catching stars in a net goes near the star and a red felt bone with our dog who passed away picture in it, also near the star. And Foxy had a good word for it...nicknacks. Everything from snow globe to music box, Santa's, villages, wall hangings, bells, porcelain dolls, hand painted ceramic people opening gifts. At least three different mangers...and this is just my living room...

My room is a mess housing a 22 year old and a 14 year old making for at least 4 body length spaces of floor available to walk...but I like to make it festive. I bought colored lights that somehow I got on the ceiling. My sister loved them. Then again with the nicknacks...OH no wait...that's where I put the stuffed animals now! In my room!  :whistle: Forgots.
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 27 queries.