Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There's a dog in my house.  (Read 8934 times)

treeforest

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Witch
    • Treeforest
There's a dog in my house.
« on: December 10, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »

I have always been a cat person. I was afraid of/hated dogs for a while, then fell in love with a couple owned by my ex-boyfriend - but generally considered myself indifferent to dogs and/or perhaps a little on the dislike side.

My husband is a dog lover, and his last dog got on in years and was living with his mom for the entire time we have been together. About a year ago he passed away (at age 15!!) and ever since we moved into our house he has wanted one. A couple months ago, we have happen upon a beautiful white boxer which we have named Daisy, or Dazey. We got her when she was about six months old. Our agreement: HE takes care of her - takes her out in the cold, rain and snow, takes her on walks, cleans up her accidents if she has any (which she hasn't had many), clips her nails, bathes her, etc. Because I was not willing to do those things and would rather not have a dog if I do, etc.

I don't really have anything to compare her to, but he says that she is a very good dog behavior-wise. I find her cute and very fun to play with - but I don't want to play with her all the time.

I am home way more often than he is, which is cutting into our agreement. I kind of knew this would happen and do not blame him and am very happy that she makes him happy. However. She requires SO MUCH MORE ATTENTION than a cat. She whines and cries when I'm not paying attention to her. I feel bad that she is locked up for 8 hours (someone comes and lets her out for potty twice a day, but she is mostly locked up) so I take her on walks (but I don't enjoy it). I wake up earlier than him and am home earlier than him, which means that I'm feeding her and taking her out most of the time. Etc.

It's not all bad, because I really do feel compassion in my heart for her and I really do love her. I feel like, in order for me to not feel so grudging when I care for her, I need to connect with her like I do my cat... except I don't really know how to connect with a dog. She seems so 'simple-minded' as compared to my cat, so much more 'innocent' if that makes sense.

Well to make a long story short (sorry to use this thread as a therapist!), if anyone can point me to some online references that suggest some ways to open a psychic conversation with the dog, or to connect with her spiritually. I have done this with my cat but feel it might be different with a dog. Any personal experiences to share?

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
Re: There's a dog in my house.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »

Will Rogers once said that, " If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

A dog is  sincere, open about it's emotions and if treated well will love you without question. You can give the dog scraps and give it a belly rub on occassion and in return it will give you every ounce of it's being in return. Your basic live in the moment type of guy and a dog are pretty similar in nature. Woman will ask such a guy what they are thinking and if the guy is eating he is thinking about food, if he is driving he is thinking about driving, there is no hidden plan, no agenda and if they love someone they simply love them.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »

My mom had this same issue with my dad and his dog and now she regrets she missed his puppyhood because she was busy being irritated that they had a dog. Since your dog is still a puppy, why don't you try teaching her some tricks? It would build trust between you and her-- the basis or connecting-- and it's fun.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:47:25 AM »

The boxers I've met (I've never had one myself) all have struck me as super sweet if a tad simple (for lack of a better word).  I would think that connecting with your inner child would be the best way to connect with a doggy personality like this.  To be able to just take pure delight in their antics and happiness with the world.

If you do any work with energy, you might see if she responds to it in any particular way.  My girl is my "helper" and she will come over to where ever I am to lend a paw.  If I'm doing a ritual she sits just outside my circle and stands guard.  If I'm working with herbs, she helps by adding her energy to mine.  It's a bit odd at times but it's really clear that this is what she's doing.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

treeforest

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Witch
    • Treeforest
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:52 PM »

Connecting with your inner child, that sounds perfect. I think that is exactly what I was looking for. She is very much like a child, inquisitive, clumsy at times. I have been hesitant to let her around whenever I am trying to concentrate because I fear she will knock into something or distract me, but I should give that a try as well.

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:36 AM »

She may or may not do well if you're working with energy but she will at least need to learn how to behave when you are working on things ... most of the animals I have been around are drawn to any sort of energy manipulation. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »

Depending on her age and your time commitments, I would definitely recommend obedience classes, and have ALL family members attend. It will help build a bond between you, and will also give all of you the knowledge and skills to know how to channel and curb the energy.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »

I have no advice (I'm not really a dog person either) but I do wish you luck!

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

I've had dogs all my life. It is simple, really: love them and play with them. They are very child-like and easy to understand. No need for dog psychics, really.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

HappyZealot

• Spiritual Path: Heretical Syncretist
  • Cheers....
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

What Ghost said.  And second on the recommendation for classes. 

To the OP: Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd consider getting a second dog.  It sounds like your pup is very needy, which is understandable if she is alone for long stretches without anything to engage or entertain her.  Dogs are very social, pack animals.  If your dog has a friend/pack mate, she'll have more to occupy and engage her, and will help her build her fledgling social skills (your dog is still a puppy, right?) 
Your dog(s) still require attention and love from their humans, but a dog that isn't lonely isn't going to be needy.

Rovay

• ***Suspended Account***
  • Spiritual Path: Dualism, Shamanism
  • Rusted from the rain
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 03:33:25 AM »

I actually have an advice that is a bit on the normal side, you may like it though. I bet you have neighbors nearby, who have children age 8-14. Now, those are old enough to be let out from the house and go around and play most of the time. I bet they love dogs. Why not pay them few bucks a week to take out the dog on walks and play with it? They will be happy about it, their parents would be happy about it because the kid has been whining for a dog on their own for far too long and they hardly would want to buy one, plus you clear your conscience and your dog gets the attention she needs.

It's genius.
Eer aan die gode en hul oordeel.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.
Those that are best with the blades rarely let them leave the sheaths.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.