Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rise and Fall of Paganism in relation to the Wheel of the Year  (Read 10427 times)

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
Rise and Fall of Paganism in relation to the Wheel of the Year
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

I wrote this a while back, but I don't think I ever posted it.

A Commentary on the Rise and Fall of Paganism
      In Relation to the Wheel of the Year
         (Usually the School Year)

The warm weather approaches, and with it, the Great Annual Exodus: thousands of kiddies freed from the confines of the Hallowed Halls of Education. Once again, the majority of this seething, mind-numbed mass will be at a loss as to what to do with themselves. Curfews, bedtimes, homework assignments, breakfast…become things not thought of for the Great Time of Freedom.
So, sooner or later, this lot is going to be watching movies without a clue, cruising websites, and looking for something to push the buttons of the parental units. And thus begins the slew of Introductions in web-speak or English a foreigner would hesitate to use; the grand sounding names like “Lady Fairyfriend Wolf of the Circle of High Yak”; and the claims of ‘mystic witch powers’ that make us elder folk spew tea on our monitors or gag. It happens whenever anything lower that college/university gets out for a week or more. It starts around the beginning of October, too. I blame that on the bored little bobbies over-dosing on ‘Charmed’, ‘The Craft’, and that utterly ridiculous ‘Blair Witch Project’. Hollyweird has a lot to answer for (and not just to the Pagan community. ‘Clueless’? ‘Legally Blonde’? Funny in their way, but talk about stereotyping!)
Paganism is not a game. For me and many others, it is a way of life; a spirituality intertwined with all we do. It is something we work at and hone and grow with. It is the pursuit of a lifetime. There isn’t a single soul on this board whose opinions and comments I respect that will claim in all seriousness that they know it all; they have nothing left to learn. So when someone who can’t legally drink/vote/drive/get married without parental consent…comes waltzing in here claiming they are the High Priestess of this coven or High Priest of Nebecanezer, I get ticked. When someone comes in claiming they can prove us all wrong, and proceeds to do nothing but quote a mistranslation of the Bible, I want to use them for dragon fodder. And when someone posts a completely crap example of writing, then whines we can’t ‘pick’ on them  because they have ‘problems’…DUDE! Go back to your doctor and get your meds changed. We have people here with ‘problems’… and they’re usually a whole LOT more careful of how they post what. This is a community for sharing knowledge and friendship and life’s ups and downs. It is NOT a playground for your delusions.

All hail the Summer King! But for the love of all the gods, goddesses, little fishies and sanity: LIMIT YOUR MUNCHKINS’ COMPUTER TIME! Kick their lazy lily-white butts out to the pool, the soccer field, the playground… Or their theme song will end up being “A Whole Lot Cooler On Line”.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
Re: Rise and Fall of Paganism in relation to the Wheel of the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »

:groovin:
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:40:34 PM »

You made me laugh with that post, thank you. I actually sometimes enjoy the craziness, once while I was hitchhiking I met a man while I was waiting for a ride out in the desert, who told me that he tuned his VW to vibrate on the same frequency as a UFO and that he was going out to the desert to talk to God. Now, I have met countless people in my life but I remembered him all these years. The same is true for some of the younglings you refer to, there are those I will always remember.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:19:46 AM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »

can’t legally drink/vote/drive/get married without parental consent
I can't do any of those things yet... :blush: But I'll be able to vote in the next election--which is exciting!

That was a good post. I don't like it either when someone claims to know the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (It's 42! :whistle: ). Teenagers and kids sometimes tend to do that...I hope I don't come off that way! (I'm seventeen)

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »

I can't do any of those things yet... :blush: But I'll be able to vote in the next election--which is exciting!

That was a good post. I don't like it either when someone claims to know the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (It's 42! :whistle: ). Teenagers and kids sometimes tend to do that...I hope I don't come off that way! (I'm seventeen)
No worries, hon, you don't.  ()
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

No Dini, you don't. You also don't hide behind your problems. You don't use them as an excuse to be stupid.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »

No Dini, you don't. You also don't hide behind your problems. You don't use them as an excuse to be stupid.

That's good. I used to know a certain person in real life (not that you're not real) who did that all the time, and it got frustrating after a while.

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

I haven't been here for a while, so this is late; but B, I have to tell you, I think you hit the nail on the head.
This is a community for sharing knowledge and friendship and life’s ups and downs. It is NOT a playground for your delusions.
I think that would be an awesome banner for this site.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »

I also enjoyed this post. And it did make me smile.
I do think that the way the media portrays some aspects of Paganism has a certain appeal to many "young" people (both in age and in spirit). I believe someone on this site referred to them as "playgans"... I love that!
What I have seen here is that these people don't seem to "stick around".  I think that is true in the "real world" as well. Once they find out that this is a path that requires continual study and daily application, they seem drop it before the first "soy based, 100% Reiki charged, magickal powered authentic ritual candle" burns down.
We all know this path is not for the faint at heart. It requires dedication. And we all struggle with balancing our personal beliefs with those accepted by our families as well as society as a whole. I have heard things said like "she thinks she is a witch"... like it's a figment of one's imagination. (It's right up there with "she keeps her pet unicorn in her garage".) But I've never heard it said "she thinks she's a Christian"...  We are constantly reminded of the preconceptions of our path and must walk it with our personal convictions, head held high, trusting our personal faith in the Divine. I think it is this humility that sets us apart from the others, and it is this humility that speaks to me from this forum.
Thanks for listening... and thanks for being here for all of us.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.