Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rhythmn of the Moon  (Read 14764 times)

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
The Rhythmn of the Moon
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »

One way to celebrate the natural movement of life is to become more aware of the natural energic flow of the moon throughout all its phases.  That energy is impacted by the time of year (where we are in the wheel of the year), as well as our own situations (where we are in our own lives.)  That said, the basic rhythmn of the moon and its energies is fairly consistent.  When we flow with those energies, we may find more clarity in our lives.

The New Moon presents growth and healing.  The time of the new moon is a wonderful time to begin a new endeavor.  It's a good time to set new goals and start working toward those goals.

The Waxing Moon presents attraction.  The energy of the waxing moon helps us to gather up what we need to meet our goals.  Love, money, wisdom all come easier during this time.

The Full Moon shows us where we are, what we have accomplished.  It's a powerful time for evaluating and taking stock.  Our vision will be clearest during the full moon.  We celebrate what is good and recognize what is not.

The Waning Moon assists banishments.  It's a good time to shed off what doesn't work for us, whether that means a bad habit, a relationship that is not working, or just cleaning out the closets.

Energy is in the natural world for us to tap into.  That doesn't mean it is a guarantee of success or that it will do the work for us.  It doesn't mean that we avoid something we must face because the time of the moon isn't right.  It doesn't mean that other factors may not overwhelm it.  But it's there if we pay attention and it just might help.

Edited to fix typos.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:11:33 PM by bluefire »
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Re: The Rhythmn of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

I'm going to risk sounding a bit stupid here (big surprise, I know  :whistle: ), but can you clarify for me what stage exactly do you attribute to the New Moon?  Is it the time when you cannot see the moon, the dark time, or is it the time when you can first glimpse the moon after being dark? 

PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

bluefire

• Journeyman
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »

I'm going to risk sounding a bit stupid here (big surprise, I know  :whistle: ), but can you clarify for me what stage exactly do you attribute to the New Moon?  Is it the time when you cannot see the moon, the dark time, or is it the time when you can first glimpse the moon after being dark?

Not a stupid question at all.  The New Moon is the time when the first crescent appears.  The Dark Moon is the time at the end of the Waning Moon.  The Dark Moon is considered both optimal time for banishments (by some) and optimal time for rest (by others). 

I've been observing moon phases for a very long time, and I see the greatest value in noticing the flow and not in pinpointing the specific event.  For example, I think the full moon energy is present for more than one night -- more like about four nights.  The same would hold for the New Moon.  I'm sure some would disagree.   :whistle:
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »

I would agree with the four days.  I celebrate the Full Moon Esbats either right before or right after the actual astrological date depending on my needs at the time - either building during the waxing or tearing down during the waning.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:43:17 PM »

Thank you for clarifying that for me.  That is actually the way I view it, but I don't ever really see anyone mentioning the Dark Moon or if they do, it seems as though they are actually talking about the New Moon.  For me, the Dark Moon is a really great time for inner reflection and to go into those areas of our self that tend to make us uncomfortable.

If I had to put a range of days, I would have said three, but I do agree with you that they last more than just one.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

bluefire

• Journeyman
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »

I celebrate the Full Moon Esbats either right before or right after the actual astrological date depending on my needs at the time - either building during the waxing or tearing down during the waning.

That makes perfect sense, DS.

For me, the Dark Moon is a really great time for inner reflection and to go into those areas of our self that tend to make us uncomfortable.

And that is also wise, Foxy.
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »

I should probably note that what astronomers refer to as the "new moon" is actually the Dark of the Moon for those who care to make the distinction.

And just from personal observation, the full moon energy generally runs from 48 hours prior to, through 48 hours after, the astronomical full moon. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »

OK, dumb bunny here... I'm getting confused.... I had thought the new moon is the astrological term for the time when there is no visible moon in the sky and the dark moon is a term pagans use to describe the time period during which most people don't see the moon-- it would actually be between the last quarter and the new moon when the crescent is only visible for a short time before dawn??? Do I have this totally wrong?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »

I view the new moon like Blue Fire does.

the "new" moon or "Dianna's bow" is when you can see the very first sliver of the waxing moon.  And the "dark of the moon" is when the moon is not visible.

Now, My HP on the other hand.....views it as the new moon when it is NOT visible in the sky

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »

EM, most astrologers (there are always rebels :rolleye: ) consider the new moon the point where you can see the fainest sliver as the moon starts to wax again.  They see the dark moon as the period where the moon is casting no light toward earth ... this is what astronomers call the new moon.  It can be very confusing.  It doesn't help that other folks use different terms for different periods.  :whistle:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »

:stars:

Very educational!!

Thanks BF, and everyone else.  :catmoon:
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.