Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Necessity of Circle Casting  (Read 33124 times)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: The Necessity of Circle Casting
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »

Of course, that's half the fun of working with Coyote. Well, okay, a quarter. It's never boring, and the lessons stick with you, let's put it that way... :whistle:
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »

I have been hesitant to add my thoughts here because I never want to discourage folks from following their own instincts, but I do want to share my ideas; so please take this and use what seems right to you and discard the rest.

Traditional circle casting does form a sphere, and that is for a good reason. We call on the four watchtowers to aid and protect us in our ritual. When all four elements are represented, there is a balancing that helps ensure that balance -- good -- will prevail. We do not need to call out all unwanted entities although we may want to specifically invite those being invoked. The watchtowers are wiser than we are and work together for us in the circle when we invite and respect them.

When the energy of all forces is present, a sphere -- the shape of balance -- is created around us, like a bubble. The energy comes together in the middle of the watchtowers and emanates out to its natural shape.

Energy is stronger than any of us individually. We can generate our own energy to "pull" a different shape, but like elastic, the circle will probably just return to a sphere.

Just my belief and observation.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »

Thanks for that BF ... much better than I could have said it! :warmfuzz:

Okay then, besides trial and error, how can one be sure they've set the appropriate limits and only the truly helpful have come to party?

As for the rest?  If you are well grounded in ethics and really think about your ritual or spell beforehand that will cover some of it ... but the rest is all trial and error.  You will have things happen that you didn't count on.  The question is whether or not you will learn from them. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

:brickwall: <-- That is how you will feel after I say what is to follow.

I still don't truly understand the necessity. Because I don't believe in "evil" the idea of creating a space where "evil" is uninvited doesn't make sense. ALSO because I believe respect is earned and rewarded with respect in turn, I believe I could possibly create a "relationship" with the energy givers so the energy I do not wish to pull from will respect my wishes should I just ask. I completely respect the elements and all other aspects of nature, but don't understand why "calling" the "watchtowers" to surround and protect my sacred space (which isn't supposed to be a shield, but certainly sounds like it is) as I perform my magic.

And I soooo know you all are going to see "just do it and you will see" but will I truly "see" if I don't believe I will see? If magic is only pulling energy from our surroundings and altering our subconscious to act in a different way to help with our desired outcome, will I truly see?

I'm terribly sorry. I don't want to be a nuisance, and I'm so afraid I've already become one. 

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »

I'm terribly sorry. I don't want to be a nuisance, and I'm so afraid I've already become one.

You are not being a nuisance. You have asked a question and we have answered. It is your choice to do what you will with what we say.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »

You are not being a nuisance. You have asked a question and we have answered. It is your choice to do what you will with what we say.

Agreed ... BUT, you need to read the responses more thoroughly.  In my first response I said:

To me, a circle (circle being a misnomer since it's really a sphere) serves multiple purposes.  Yes, it is a boundary to keep out those energies I don't want in a working.  But it is also a connection to the Universe ... when I create a circle, I am creating a sacred space within the Universe and all it's dimensions (not just the 4 we physically experience) and it connects my personal space with the space in other realms.  It also helps to act as a means of focusing, concentrating, and sending out the energies I create within the circle.

I never mentioned "evil" anything and gave two additional reasons for creating a circle.  I don't mind answering the questions or even having a debate, but I do get a bit irked when misquoted or ignored. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »

I think you might be focusing too much on the idea of evil.

The protective aspect of the circle is just one of its many functions and you can think of the protection in terms of what Tirya and CD explained in their posts posts, i.e., it is filtering out background energies that may be counterproductive to what you want to accomplish in circle.

Personally, I don't so much "call the Watchtowers" as "invite the spirits" of the cardinal directions and the elements to ask for their aid and for their energies to be present to create the balance BlueFire pointed out. With unbalanced energy, you can have things go wonky on you and you may have unintended consequences associated with your spell work. Having said that, I'm sure there are plenty of witches who don't cast circles prior to their workings. You just have to see what works best for you, I suppose.

And I soooo know you all are going to see "just do it and you will see" but will I truly "see" if I don't believe I will see?

Your beliefs will affect what you see to a certain extent. I have found that a certain degree of faith in the process is important to a successful outcome when conducting shamanic journeying. On the other hand, I have also had experiences that have defied my beliefs and blown my mind in the process. For example, I was pretty much an atheist with no interest in spirituality a few years ago and only am where I am today because of evidence that presented itself to me. After that I was pretty adamant that I didn't believe in gods or goddesses as entities but only as archetypes of divinity-- that is until Demeter gave me a good slap upside the head (actually she was quite nurturing). You may think you know how it all works based on what is logical or makes the most sense to you, but I think you will have greater success and probably be successful more quickly if you keep an open mind.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »

I don't mind answering the questions or even having a debate, but I do get a bit irked when misquoted or ignored.

I didn't realize I had misquoted or ignored you. I'm sorry you feel I served your advice an injustice. I value every piece of advice I've been given thus far, including yours.

Maybe there is something I'm just not understanding and I'm having a hard time explaining just what that is. I'll just let it rest now, and if I understand what is bothering me better I'll touch on it then. Thanks, everyone...

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »

You will have things happen that you didn't count on.  The question is whether or not you will learn from them. ;)

Oh yeah. I count my blessings that I had thought out my first major magical working as well as I did. As it was it really rocked my world with unintended consequences. All for the better, but I did learn to think out not just the "how" but the "why am I doing this" as well.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:53 AM »

I still don't truly understand the necessity. Because I don't believe in "evil" the idea of creating a space where "evil" is uninvited doesn't make sense.

Regardless of whether or not you believe in "evil", there are things out there that can be counterproductive to your workings. these things can be simply be the negative emotional residue from a stressed out person that you have met earlier that day, to your own feelings of doubt and uncertainty. These residues at best are a distraction and at worst can manifest as malevolent entities. Maybe not evil, but certainly attracted to the energies being raised and would tap into them and pull them away from where you feel they are needed.

Casting a circle or other ward keeps you isolated from them.

A
LSO because I believe respect is earned and rewarded with respect in turn, I believe I could possibly create a "relationship" with the energy givers so the energy I do not wish to pull from will respect my wishes should I just ask. I completely respect the elements and all other aspects of nature, but don't understand why "calling" the "watchtowers" to surround and protect my sacred space (which isn't supposed to be a shield, but certainly sounds like it is) as I perform my magic.

Don't think of them as a shield. think of them more as the ushers at a ceremony. they check for invitations and either show the invited to their seats or politely turn away anything that is not supposed to be there.

And I soooo know you all are going to see "just do it and you will see" but will I truly "see" if I don't believe I will see? If magic is only pulling energy from our surroundings and altering our subconscious to act in a different way to help with our desired outcome, will I truly see?

If you don't believe, then there is going to be no effect. I think you're overthinking it.

A circle or other form of sacred space's primary function is to be an area where you can do that which you need to have done. Think of it this way. When you are going off to study you tend to want to isolate yourself from distractions. People in another room watching the football game, a boisterous cookout at your neighbors house, things like that. These are the things that make you seek out a quiet space away from them. You might even shut off your cell phone and hang a sign on the door informing people that you are studying and need to be left undisturbed. The people watching the game or the people having a fun time at the cook out are not evil, just not what you need at the time. You may even on occasion call someone to come over and help you study a part that is a bit harder than you can understand the way it's being taught in a book. So invited, they can come in.

So casting the circle or creating sacred space is the metaphysical version of finding a good study location. It cuts you off from the distractions of other energies in the area that you do not lose focus dealing with them, it keeps out the random and wandering entities and still allows that which you invite to come and help you.

And even though you do not believe in evil as an entity, there are people who do evil things. There are people who will be mad at you and will though their hatred, create a connection to you and can drag you down emotionally. A circle can break the connection and allow you to set up something to prevent them from doing it again. And remember that magic is something that anyone can do even if they know they're doing it or not. Some person with a grudge and a dollar store book on voodoo dolls can do more damage than even they know. Sure one may not feel the pin jabbed into the lap of the doll personally, but there can be a negative effect.

The circle is your place to sever the links you do not want while at the same time allowing you to reattach and strengthen the links that you want.

I know. I found out that my wife's ex had one of those novelty voodoo dolls, drew (poorly) my likeness on it (the kids took a cell phone picture of it) and was stabbing "mini-me" in the lap quite a lot. When I was shown the picture and they tole me when he had purchased it, thinking back I noticed that during that time period I was feeling a little out of sorts. Nothing obvious, just felt "off". I cast a circle to sever the link and did a mirror spell. Felt tons better.

So try a ritual with the circle. Don't think of it as a shield, but start at first just thinking of it as the metaphysical "quiet room" in which to do your workings. See if it feels differently than how you are doing it now.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 27 queries.