Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mabon 2011--What are you planning?  (Read 23803 times)

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Re: Mabon 2011--What are you planning?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »

:yeah:

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »

:cheer:
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Well, due to a busy schedule I haven't had the chance to harvest as many as I'd like. Nor am I able to try my hand at the acorn bread today on the Equinox. However, this Sunday I will be celebrating in style with said bread and acorn processing, pumpkin pies from scratch with homemade whole-wheat graham cracker crust, and perhaps a little wine to wash it down.

Just because I will be so proud of all the rustic baking and harvesting I'll take some pictures to share, which I still haven't had a chance to do yet. The products will either look delicious or hysterical, one of the two. Possibly both...

What I really need is an apron that says 'Betty Cocker' on it...

HAPPY MABON! Or is it Merry...? Blessed...?
"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »

:rotflmao:  Be careful what you wish for!  There are those of us on this board that are capable of doing craft projects and sewing.  :crazylaugh:

Besides the big dinner, I think I'm going to take the kids outside in a little while and have them go on a short bike ride with me.  After dinner, I think I'm going to try and talk hubby into having a fire in the fire pit in the back yard tonight and just enjoy being outside for a while.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

My coven and I are having a feast, and a little ritual on Saturday. As to the acorns, I understood from my anthropolgy studies that it was primarily just the White Oak ones that were the edible ones. I did read that the Red Oak acorns were edible for humans if soaked to remove the tannin. One California tribe used to set them in baskets in streams for weeks to remove the tannin. The sacred oaks in Celtic lore were White Oaks and one author suggested that it was because they were such an important food source in addition to being impressive trees reaching toward heaven.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:59 AM »

Well...the acorn thing didn't go so well. Although I've been extremely careful looking over the nuts before drying them in the oven and storing them until use for this past weekend the VAST majority were still spoiled. In particular, lots of the nutmeats were soft and rotten due to the activity of worms (even though these didn't have any visible holes on the outside). So after spending an hour cracking acorns and throwing away 4 to every 1 good one, I gave up..

They have been donated to the chipmunks.

Vordan, about the White Oaks, they have less tannins than other types of acorns, so they require less processing to make them palatable. Any kind of acorns is edible, just some require more work. This is what I read when I was first researching the topic.

I did make a pumpkin pie from scratch though! It turned out...okay...I didn't bother with a picture because the crust was black and scorched and I couldn't bear the shame. The actual pumpkin pie filling was amazing though so basically I just had a bunch of custard...
"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »

You can always just bake the custard, Green. The crusts...I always wrap the edges with tin foil until the last ten minutes of baking time to keep it from burning.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »

You can always just bake the custard, Green. The crusts...I always wrap the edges with tin foil until the last ten minutes of baking time to keep it from burning.

Totally forgot about that step....but the pumpkin custard was really good!

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »

:tongueroll: Yum!
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.