General Topics > General Chat

Your favourite nature spot!

(1/3) > >>

FollowtheFox:
I love national forests, state parks, and nature refuges! My goal is to visit most (in the U.S. at least) or all I can before I die :whistle:
With that being said! Do y'all have a place near you that you like to visit, or maybe some place you visited a long time ago and wish to return to? And why do you like this particular place!?

My favourite near where I live is Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge! I had remembered going as a child, but not much about it. When I went again for the first time in  years earlier this Spring I discovered what a pleasant and amazing place it was. Old ruins of settlements on the land, swampland in abundance (which I was attracted to when I visited Florida), and, Ohmygosh OTTERS! There are several paths to wander, as well as old and new woodlands. :)

earthmuffin:
I have four local places that I try to go to every year on or around Ostara, Beltane, Lammas, and Mabon but don't get these place often enough. The first one is a wildflower reserve on top of a volanic butte, the second is a nearby creek, one is an area of high mountain lakes about 2 hours away, and the third is a really cool granite dome that has Native American significance, I am told. They are all very beautiful and special to me.

I am currently at Lake Tahoe, another great nature place that is not too far and we try to get to every year at least once.

One place that stood out from my childhood camping adventures was Glacier National Park. The beauty of the glacier was like nothing I had ever seen before. Ptarmigan were everywhere around the path and a mountain goat walked right past me along the edge of a cliff. I will never forget that place and how excited I was.  Somewhere I have a faded picture of it taken with my little camera that took flash cubes. I hope to return there some day and find it has not changed much.

Another place I would recommend to any nature buff is Kearney, Nebraska in March of April during the Sandhill Crane migration. The town and the Platte River aren't much to see themselves but the millions of cranes flying in and flocking to the river is a sight you will see nowhere else on earth.

dragonspring:
I live near Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  I actually moved here from Texas because I fell in love with the place.  GSMNP is a temperate rain forest with a wide variety of flora and fauna - over 17000 species have been identified so far. From giant Hemlocks to blooming Mountain Laurel to the fall colors - it is just beautiful.  The Appalachians are one of the oldest mountain ranges  in the world  - over 1 billion years old. The Smokies are also a World Heritage Site with many historic sites relating to the settlement of this area.    It is hard to describe ancient energy I feel when I plant myself on a giant Precambrian rock next to a waterfall.  It is just bliss.

vordan:
I love so many places. If you are wandering into Ohio, the neighboring state, you must check out Glen Helen in Yellow Springs Ohio. There are also pagan shops in the town worth looking at and a haunted tavern. The other absolute must see area of Ohio is Hocking Hills which is a whole series of beautiful places clustered together. I lived in Flagstaff Arizona, hiking Oak Creek Canyon was beautiful. I loved the Redwoods also in California. I am walking in the woods somewhere around where I live several times a week there I so many beautiful places.

FollowtheFox:
I'm hoping to start taking some trips once I get a job, and this gives me some great ideas in driving distance vordan! I've always wanted to visit the Redwoods though, hopefully some day!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version