Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get ready for my first Esbat?  (Read 14721 times)

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
How do I get ready for my first Esbat?
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »

I have been wanting to get closer to paganism for a while, and I know that the full moon is coming up on October 12 (maybe?) so I want to try celebrating it to show commitment and care for the Goddess/Universe. I don't have any alter supplies, and I probably won't be able to before October 12 since my mom, while supportive and understanding, doesn't want me to get into anything "weirder than what you normally do." I don't think she would mind if I did something to comemmorate the full moon, though. What do you think I should do? The fact that I have to be in bed by nine (nine-thirty at the latest) so I can be ready for college in the morning makes things a little harder.

...and YES, I know it's weird for a college student to have a bedtime!  :blush: :D

Wookie8662

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic solitary
  • Walking Carpet
Re: How do I get ready for my first Esbat?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »

I have not seen anywhere, that you need to celebrate an esbat at a certain time of day.

You should be able to get up early in the morning and see the full moon.
If you get up early enough, it will still be dark outside.

The only thing you *NEED* to have, is you.

I have just sat quietly somewhere with my thoughts, while looking up at the full moon.
Just doing *something* is special in itself, and should not be discounted.
“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.” - Lewis Carroll

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:50:38 PM »

I agree. Many times, I have simply gazed in wonder at the moon, and said a silent prayer to the Goddess.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »

Thanks! That's a good idea to get up early--which I usually do already--and watch the moon and commune.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »

Hmmm, I'm more of a night-owl so I stay up late or wait a few days and then see the moon in the morning when it sets a little later.  :whistle:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »

I think communing with the Moon is a great way to start connecting with the Goddess.  I would also recommend communing with the Sun to connect to the God.  When I first started this path, I tried to do both as often as I could to establish a connection with the Lord and Lady. 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:52:43 PM »

That's a good idea, dragonspring. I'll commune with the sun, too. This morning I meditated outside in the sun, and I liked it a lot. Cute bugs came and landed on me and stayed on me even when I moved around, and it made me feel happy and squealy like when I see a kitten.

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 02:08:16 AM »

I love waking up early or staying up late to see it getting a teensy bit lighter but the moon still hanging strong in the sky.

And it's not weird to have a bedtime ;)

There's a reason we give them to children. They function a lot better with a good amount of sleep under their belts.
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »

I love waking up early or staying up late to see it getting a teensy bit lighter but the moon still hanging strong in the sky.

And it's not weird to have a bedtime ;)

There's a reason we give them to children. They function a lot better with a good amount of sleep under their belts.

:yeahthat:
I just read a book about the science of parenting and there are scientific studies that have shown kids IQ's actually go down without enough sleep. Lack of sufficient sleep has also been linked to childhood obesity.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:20:55 AM »

:yeahthat:
I just read a book about the science of parenting and there are scientific studies that have shown kids IQ's actually go down without enough sleep. Lack of sufficient sleep has also been linked to childhood obesity.

I understand completey; I function a lot worse when I don't get enough sleep, and so does my dad. He takes a nap at work every day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.