Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dream Homes  (Read 7952 times)

Moonblade

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Knowledge Seeker
  • Dream Chaser
Dream Homes
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »

For those who have been reading my member journal, you already know that I have recently been giving my dream home a lot of thought and consideration. I have the design for the house and the location I would want to put it. I know that I would want flower beds, and a garden with cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, and green beans, as well as a garden with different berries and some apple trees. I'd also want a herb and spice garden. I've imagined my dream home, my own personal sanctuary.

What I want to know is if any of the rest of you have dream homes in mind, and if you don't mind, to share them with the rest of us. Of course, you don't have to share either if you don't want to. I just thought it might be interesting to hear what other people would love to have in their own dream home.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." -Thoreau

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Dream Homes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »

When I was a teenager, I spent untold hours drawing floor plans and looking through catalogs to furnish many dream homes.  Over the years, I've had several homes which I've enjoyed.  When my last house burned, it was rebuilt to my exact specifications.  I picked out floor coverings, paint, trim, and fixtures and rearranged the rooms to suit my tastes. 

When the rebuilding was finished, I never moved back in.  During the time we were living in an apartment, I realized that "who" lived in my home was more important than the home itself. Funny how losing everything I owned changed my perspective so dramatically.  Now I live in a great apartment with my daughter and I am happier than I have ever been.  The only thing I really miss about my house is the grounds and my circle in the woods.

I'm glad that you have figured a way to have the house you desire.  Everyone should have dreams and pursue them vigorously!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:08:32 PM by dragonspring »
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Moonblade

• Apprentice
  • Dream Chaser
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

Oh I definitely know that 'who' is always much more important than simply 'what' in anything. I simply couldn't imagine my dream house without my husband in it, and I hope very much to build this dream and raise a family in it. I want my children to share my love for my home, for it to be as magical for them as it would be for me.

The location is in the middle of a national forest, on my parent's property. I would be so close to my family, and that means a lot to me, because I have always been very close to them. I am a very family oriented person. If Brian did not like the idea of moving then I would not have gotten excited about the prospect of building my very own fantasy home.

This dream home is still several years away, though. Brian needs another two years of experience in his field to land a very, very good job in the area we would be moving, so we're planning to stay put for at least two more years anyway. It is something we plan on doing together, so it will be a wonderful bonding experience for us as well.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of us, and I'm so happy that you've found a happy place to be in your life.

PaganOne

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Atheist Pagan Witch
  • Reiki Master/Aromatherapist
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

I used to fantasize about my dream home, but have given it up as hopeless.  There is no way I will ever have the money, so why bother dreaming?  It's time for me to face the reality of life.  Even if I ever did have the money someday, I highly doubt I would build my dream home at this stage of my life.  *sigh*

Someday slap me out of this depressing rut I'm in.
True happiness is fidelity to a working purpose. ~ Hellen Keller

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »

:whack: SNAP OUT OF IT, PAGAN!

:D :whistle:

Yes, I have ideas for a dream home. It has to have land for animals, gardens, trees, water features...but I'd rather renovate an older home than build a completely new one. There is this deep respect for the past in me that makes me want to save as much as I can of it that remain viable. Enough bedrooms to have company, and enough bathrooms to make it easy. A library, kitchen, dining room, two offices (mine and Nick's) workshops (could be in the basement) BIG livingroom for entertaining. A playroom for Meriah...could be converted as she outgrows toys, of course.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »

My dream home would be a zen minimalist sanctuary with beautiful representations of the elements throughout (think Sunset magazine home) and located in beautiful surroundings. It would kind of be the grownup version of my childhood fantasy home which had moss growing inside the house on parts of the floors and a small creek running through a portion of it!  It would be a house where there is a place for everything and I could access and use pretty much all my belongings on a daily basis. Nothing would be sitting unused in a closet or an inaccessible pile somewhere. Could a packrat survive in a house like this? I don't know but I'd sure like to try.  :D

I don't think my dream home will ever become more than a fantasy but that is OK. I'm working on being happier with my current home and helping it have that homey, down to earth feeling that makes people feel relaxed and welcomed. I'm working on loving my weeds and my things and making better use of all our stuff too. I used to not bother doing things like painting the bathroom because I didn't have the money to tile the sink and the shower like it also needs, but then I thought why hold out? It'll never happen if I put it off until I have the money for the grand renovation. So now I choose one small cosmetic project to do a year that will make me happy. For example, my front door was horrid looking and we really could have used a new one. Instead, I refinished it last year, painted the screen door, and got new lights and glass. It looks good now for much less money than a brand new door. Just like my life, my house is very much a work in progress. :whistle:

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

I live in my dream house.  It is a 1,000 foot two bedroom condo.  What makes it my dream house is that I love my things that are in it.  Furniture from the 1920s, a beautiful framed Maxfield Parrish, my Buddha and crystals, my books and music.  I have a little garden outside my bedroom.  I'm happy here.

My next house could be in Arizona or maybe just an apartment closer to downtown Seattle.  Wherever it is, I'll still have my BlueFire decorating touch in it and it will be my dream house.

I've lived in many lovely homes in my life, each with their own charm.  And yes, our environment is important.  We all want to be comfy.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

PaganOne

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Atheist Pagan Witch
  • Reiki Master/Aromatherapist
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »

:whack: SNAP OUT OF IT, PAGAN!

Okay...  that got my attention!   :stars:

I picture my dream house in the middle of forested land with a flowing stream.  It has hard wood floors and lots of wood trim with large floor-to-ceiling beveled glass windows letting in lots and lots of light.  Then there's a large kitchen with all the modern conveniences and a large island where I can chop veggies and cook to my heart's content.  In my bathroom, there's a huge shower that resembles a cave with natural stone and soft cozy lighting.  And fireplaces... wood, marble, and ceramic tile fire places.  Obviously, my dream house is not little!  I walk down a long glass hall to an circular glass and metal room with a glass roof with a large clear quartz crystal point at the top.  This, of course, is my special room to communicate with the powers that be.  And last but not least, there's a huge room with nothing but floor to ceiling shelves of books.  *sigh*
True happiness is fidelity to a working purpose. ~ Hellen Keller

Moonblade

• Apprentice
  • Dream Chaser
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »

Those all sound really great, thanks for sharing! PaganOne that was a very lovely dream, you should not give up on it. I plan on getting my dream home one day, even if it takes until I'm eighty to do it. I hope you feel better soon, depression is a horrible thing to live with. :grouphug:

If anyone else wants to share, please do.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:36 AM »

I waffle between the "suburban housewife" thing, in which I would like a little more land and renovate my current bathroom to include a huge soaking tub and a hot tub in the backyard, but aside from that I like the house I'm in right now.

But on occasion I dream of being a foster home for working Livestock Guardian Dogs (like Anatolian Shepherds), which would include about five acres, a comfortable house, and some Boer goats (they don't need to be milked!).

And lately I've been reading about doggie daycares, and there's a certain appeal to "having some acreage and having the doggie daycare on-site in an outbuilding".

There's a reason I'm not making any major decisions for the next few months...
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »

For the most part, I'm in my dream home.  Sure it would be really nice to have more space, definitely more land (with no idiot neighbors next door), and a slightly different layout, but all of those things would come with a ton more work to keep it up, like way more yard maintenance and a lot more cleaning.  When my kids grow up and move out, I'll have that extra space without adding to what needs to be cleaned and any of the things I want different about what we have can be done over time, like putting in a pool or having the shower in the master bath being a bit different.  I am very content with where we live right now.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

LadyOrchid

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Eccentric Pagan
    • Witch amid the Shamrock
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »

My dream home- Solar and wind powered- underfloor heating- some flat roof area's to grow stuff on- set in 5 or 6 acres- so I can have a nursery to grow my own fruit and veg and orchids ofcourse. An animal sanctuary- for cats, dogs, ponies, donkeys any creature really- who needs a loving home. Chickens, goats, piggies- oh and a pond for fish and frogs.
A Pentagram shaped summer house for classes and rituals and meditation.
Obviously a composting- recycling area- with all those animals - I'll have fresh manure for the garden.
This would be Heaven to me.
What you give is What you get returned

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »

I want a log house on at least 200 acres with some pasturage for livestock and horses, a couple of big gardens, a grove for ritual and lots of tasty critters to hunt.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

VenusInFurs

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: eclectic pagan
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »

I'm pretty close to mine actually.  My dream home is where I live now, but only a little bigger (it's good for just me now, but one day I'd like to get married and for a couple it's a little crowded.)
I'm a long-term city dweller.  I love gardening and nature but I also like to reside dead-center in the middle of everything, close to cafes, bars, markets and such.  So my compromise has always been to live in a penthouse apartment with a roof garden.  I more or less have this now (though my place is a little small to really call it a 'penthouse'), and I'm working on the garden outside (it's expensive to do so I add to it every year!) and also on the house and decor itself.  I've lived here over a year but I don't have a lot of cash so it takes time.

Other than maybe a couple more rooms, I'd LOVE to have a bigger kitchen.  I'm huge into cooking.  Other than that though, I really can't complain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.