Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Stupid Question Alert

(1/3) > >>

diniesaur:
Hi...I know this question is probably really stupid, but I honestly am not sure about the answer. My question is--do I have to be interested in magic/spells to be pagan? I've been reading about it a lot, and from what I've seen a lot of people say that magic is an important part of their religion as pagans. While I like the idea of rituals, I don't feel that interested in performing spells to get things to happen.

Also, what's the difference between magic and just praying? Part of why I wanted to get back into Paganism was because I was trying to get back in contact with a friend I love very much and I prayed to the Goddess for an opportunity to see her. A few days later, I got called to answer questions at an Autism conference (my friend and I both have Asperger's Syndrome), and she was there! Was this magic, or just praying?

Zlat:
No you don't need to partake in magic to be pagan. And the basic difference between magic and praying is that praying is where you ask for or honor something; magic is where you take the wish into your own hands and use your willpower to bring about the result.

It's more technical than that, but I'll let someone else go into the details as my time is short tonight  :D

Fox:
There really aren't any stupid questions if your purpose truly is to learn from the answers you get.  ;)

You absolutely do not have to be interested in magic to be Pagan.  There are many Pagan paths that do not incorporate magic into their practice.  ES has written a really wonderful piece about magic and touches on magic vs prayer that I think may help you understand some of the differences and similarities.

http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=189.msg547#msg547

diniesaur:
Thanks! Both replies were helpful, and the article helped me feel a lot better. I just never was that interested in doing spells when I could be doing something else productive and interesting like homework or meditating. They're cool to study, but I can't picture myself doing one. I can, however, picture myself doing a ritual.

Fox:
Knowing what you want and what works for you is a big part of finding a practice that fits you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version