Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Wiccan Initiation and Degrees

<< < (3/5) > >>

Rovay:

--- Quote from: dragonspring on February 04, 2012, 05:47:44 AM ---What makes you think that passing a sort of psychological test isn't part of the requirements for initiation?

--- End quote ---

What makes you think I know anything about the initiation or the requirement? *giggles*

And hence I don't, I just pondered on the thought. It's good, if there is, that's for sure. Serious things are for serious people, not teenagers who want to hex their friends.

Ghost Wolf:

--- Quote from: Rovay on February 04, 2012, 03:54:04 AM ---@FairyQueen, I see what you mean there, but religion isn't like profession, isn't like favorite color or fashion style, even isn't like love. When you find your true religion, you just never let it go.

People ask me "so, you made an oath, can you ever stop doing that, can you leave?" and I say "No. And even if I could, I never would."

Oh, but I do agree that there will be some that go for things just for the flock. In my opinion that is why initiation into such covens as and such should probably be limited to people who pass some psychological tests - because age usually isn't good enough of characteristic to make sure someone is serious. If there was a psychological test of sorts, you could see how good the person knows himself and by that, judge if he is ready for commitment like this.
Because how can someone get ready to know the world, if he doesn't know himself before that?

--- End quote ---

Rovay, becoming a dedicant is not something entered into lightly. In our tradition, it takes at least three years to be initiated, and there is no guarantee you will be. You are being psychologically evaluated every step of the way. You can withdraw at any time, and your teacher will cut the energy connection between you, which is hard on him or her, so you need to be sure that this is what you really want to do. If there were no way to leave, it would indicate cult behavior. One's second degree training is primarily about shadow work, which is psychological in nature.

Rovay:
@GW - see, I didn't know that, and I agree, that is the right system, one should really be sure what he is doing before starting to do it. Good. I never really knew how good the system was, I like that.

So, Fairy, it seems like what is being said here is that people who dedicate themselves for this surely check if they are ready to do it for life before that.

FairyQueen:
I guess this is still why I don't plan on practicing, seriously, with a group. I feel my spirituality should be free flowing, unrestricted, and controlled only by me and my God(s) (should I find them). I know you all are trying to tell me that it isn't something that is taken lightly, it takes years and much contemplation - but I don't like how it sounds to be told when I'm ready. This is one (of the many) reasons why I left Christianity (specifically Catholicism). I also don't like how it sounds to to be energetically severed from a group because I've grown out of that certain set of beliefs. Spirituality is an ever changing, ever growing, experience. We move from one level to the next. Having to devote oneself to one set of beliefs and one group of people, I feel, completely hinders and disrespects that growth

Ghost Wolf:
You are completely misconstuing what we are trying to get across, and I see no way to get you to understand. This in NO WAY resembles Christianity!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version