Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Wiccan Initiation and Degrees

<< < (4/5) > >>

Rovay:

--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on February 04, 2012, 01:10:49 PM ---You are completely misconstuing what we are trying to get across, and I see no way to get you to understand. This in NO WAY resembles Christianity!

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't say "no way", in Christianity there are ranks too, but honestly, a lot of things in this world are like other things, so that doesn't matter. Idea is, Wicca doesn't really limit you; from what I understand, after you get initiated, you can probably go on your way if you wish so, don't need to stick with them to be a Wiccan.

And you are devoting yourself to one set of believes, because religion isn't philosophy. You don't change it to something better; when you find your true religion, it does not change ever, not because someone can stop you, but because you simply won't want it to end.

And meh, don't think you are devoting yourself to one group of people. No one can make you do that. I do know Wiccans can switch covens and such, for example.

vordan:
In my loose eclectic non-British form of Wiccan, the degree system is a way of measuring your commitment, knowledge and achievement. An intiate must attend as a guest for awhile before being considered for intiation, The first degree can only be achieved after a year of study from the time of intiation. The degree system brings the people into the coven with increasing levels of participation and responsiblity, it is a workable system for a small group. We are pretty egalitarian the high Priest and Priestess are no better then an intiate but the system gives some order to things besides the feelings of pride in accomplishment. We normally do not wear robes or our symbols of rank except on special occasions for we are all valued including guests. The goal is to be able to connect to the divine energies of the seasons, nature and the elements, while showing increasing leadership. A leader serves those around them and concerns themself with the good of the whole. Even in a eclectic coven the degree system can serve a purpose but it should never be about power.

BronwynWolf:
I wish we had a "like" button. Oh wait! We have the KARMA button!

dragonspring:
Great post vordan. 

Vigdisdotter:
I know, this is an old post, but I have something I want to say.

--- Quote from: FairyQueen on February 04, 2012, 12:53:44 PM ---I guess this is still why I don't plan on practicing, seriously, with a group. I feel my spirituality should be free flowing, unrestricted, and controlled only by me and my God(s) (should I find them).
--- End quote ---

FairyQueen, why do you think Religion and Spirituality are interchangeable terms? Or that what you do in a group setting somehow infringes on what you do as an individual?  Religion is the shared practices and beliefs of the group.  Spirituality is one individual experiences and understanding of the universe.  While ones own spirituality often dictates what religion is deemed acceptable/appropriate, Religion doesn't dictate personal spirituality.  Especially when we're talking about an orthopraxy such as Wicxa, rather then an orthodoxy like Christianity.

--- Quote from: FairyQueen on February 04, 2012, 12:53:44 PM ---I know you all are trying to tell me that it isn't something that is taken lightly, it takes years and much contemplation - but I don't like how it sounds to be told when I'm ready.
--- End quote ---

Did you tell you teachers that one in high school or college?  Granted a Coven has a LOT more going on on a number of different levels then a classroom at school dos, but idea is the same.  Being part of a group meanings having access to people with great knowledge and experience then yourself as well as those who have less and could benefit from yours.  When being part of a group, it's no longer just about YOU.  It's about everyone.  And this is another reason why it's important that people don't rush into it.  A group can and SHOULD deny people entrance if they feel the individual isn't a good fit for the group.  A healthy Coven is an incredible thing that is built on bonds on trust and friendship.  It's very intimate in nature because that's what you need for the kind of workings you'll be doing together.

Covens AREN'T for everyone, but just because they aren't for you don't mean you should go slamming such by equating it to Christianity, which isn't even an orthopraxy.

--- Quote from: FairyQueen on February 04, 2012, 12:53:44 PM ---Having to devote oneself to one set of beliefs and one group of people, I feel, completely hinders and disrespects that growth
--- End quote ---

Please read above, because that's NOT what being Initiated or in a Coven is about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version