Pagan Journeys > Paths and Traditions

Asatru

<< < (4/5) > >>

Ghost Wolf:

--- Quote from: NowhereMan on May 23, 2013, 12:01:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on May 22, 2013, 09:45:27 PM ---Would you care to elaborate?

--- End quote ---

Ascribing elements, deities, and attributes to the realms seems a little odd to me just because that's not necessarily the type of thing that "fits" with Asatru. Its just an observation though, certainly not a criticism; if you disagree I'd love to hear your take on it. :)

--- End quote ---

Thor doesn't "rule" Midgard, but he is protector of man. There are differing opinions on what is attributed to what, the chart of the nine worlds are her way of organizing things to make them understandable to herself, which you are free to reject as you will. I don't see how that doesn't "fit" with Asatru, unless one is, somehow, not supposed to think for ones self?

Ghost Wolf:

--- Quote from: NowhereMan on May 23, 2013, 12:06:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: dragonspring on May 22, 2013, 10:46:47 PM ---I am not sure what sources you are using for your recon, but Freyja and Freyr reside in Asgard - a consequence of the peace treaty from the war between the Aesir and the Vanir.

Frey was given a hall in Lossalfheim at birth and he is the Lord of Vanaheim, while Freyja is the Lady.  The other "deities" are the rulers of the respective realms where I have placed them.

--- End quote ---

Correct that Freyr and Freyja reside in Asgard, but I've never heard of Thor being said 'rule' Midgard, for instance. Though I tend to get most of my information from the AFA, Asatru Alliance, and the Eddas, of course. So I am a little limited in my scope I guess.

--- End quote ---

I believe I answered that in my post above. I'm glad you get your info from such authoritative sources. We, too, study the Eddas, as well as glean information from the AFA. We also belong to a Kindred, and ask questions of an experienced gothi. The study of the nine worlds takes one beyond what is written in the Eddas, which, as you should know, were written down long after the Viking Age by a Christian scholar. There are things there that one can "read between the lines," if one is so inclined.

Eternal Seeker:

Charts like this, in 2 dimensions, don't make clear (at least to me) some of the direct connections. For example, there are several direct connections to Asgard. "Ásgarðr literally means “enclosure of the Æsir” or “enclosure of the gods.” Ásgarðr is centered on a higher plane above Midgard and can be reached through several means. Chief is Bífrøst or Ásbrú, the fiery rainbow bridge that links the world of men to the realm of the Gods. It can also be accessed from Hell by Gjallarbrú “the resounding bridge.” One can also reach Ásgarðr through the Myrkviðr the “mirk wood” which separates Ágarðr from Múspillheimr. Finally there are the rivers which flow around Ágarðr and these Thunor (Thor) must cross as he is too heavy for the bridges."  http://odinsvolk.ca/new/cosmology/

peace,
ES

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on May 23, 2013, 06:40:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: NowhereMan on May 23, 2013, 12:01:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on May 22, 2013, 09:45:27 PM ---Would you care to elaborate?

--- End quote ---

Ascribing elements, deities, and attributes to the realms seems a little odd to me just because that's not necessarily the type of thing that "fits" with Asatru. Its just an observation though, certainly not a criticism; if you disagree I'd love to hear your take on it. :)

--- End quote ---

Thor doesn't "rule" Midgard, but he is protector of man. There are differing opinions on what is attributed to what, the chart of the nine worlds are her way of organizing things to make them understandable to herself, which you are free to reject as you will. I don't see how that doesn't "fit" with Asatru, unless one is, somehow, not supposed to think for ones self?

--- End quote ---

Okay. I see what you're saying.

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: Ghost Wolf on May 23, 2013, 06:46:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: NowhereMan on May 23, 2013, 12:06:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: dragonspring on May 22, 2013, 10:46:47 PM ---I am not sure what sources you are using for your recon, but Freyja and Freyr reside in Asgard - a consequence of the peace treaty from the war between the Aesir and the Vanir.

Frey was given a hall in Lossalfheim at birth and he is the Lord of Vanaheim, while Freyja is the Lady.  The other "deities" are the rulers of the respective realms where I have placed them.

--- End quote ---

Correct that Freyr and Freyja reside in Asgard, but I've never heard of Thor being said 'rule' Midgard, for instance. Though I tend to get most of my information from the AFA, Asatru Alliance, and the Eddas, of course. So I am a little limited in my scope I guess.

--- End quote ---

I believe I answered that in my post above. I'm glad you get your info from such authoritative sources. We, too, study the Eddas, as well as glean information from the AFA. We also belong to a Kindred, and ask questions of an experienced gothi. The study of the nine worlds takes one beyond what is written in the Eddas, which, as you should know, were written down long after the Viking Age by a Christian scholar. There are things there that one can "read between the lines," if one is so inclined.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I don't have the asset of belonging to a Kindred or having the guidance of a Gothi/Gojya, so oftentimes I have to take things more at face-value, especially as a fledgling Asatruar (only two years). So if I seem a little too rigid in my approach, then please forgive me. Like everyone else, I am still learning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version