Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holier Than Thou Paganism  (Read 22546 times)

crystal wolfstar

• Apprentice
Re: Holier Than Thou Paganism
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »

"The problem I had with this was that statement was that 5 minutes earlier were talking up how paganism is following the "old ways."
If you want to invent a new religion, fine, that hurts me none at all. I don't know if it should get the title "paganism" but that's at least debatable. Neo-paganism is certainly an evolved form of paganism. But you can't have it both ways. You can't claim to follow the "old religion" and show no interest in historical paganism."

Again, why does it matter what another does?  How am I harmed if someone wants to latch onto a buzz word and make a particular claim?.  Whether I agree or not, I am not on their path and they are not on mine.  To each his own as long as they aren't affecting me.

Then again, this sort of garbage is why I don't get into discussion regarding practice with many Pagans.  I don't even get into these sorts of discussions with many who do energy work for the same reason ... just because someone was taught to use a particular method doesn't mean I have to follow it to the letter. 

Hell, I don't even follow what I was taught to the letter because I know what works for me and don't really care, once the training is over, how anyone else does things.

What anybody does is totally their business.

If someone else objects, they have a right to voice that objection, but not restrict the other person.

Words, on the other hand, mean things.We need them to communicate. When they become meaningless jargon and weasel words for something they really don't mean, we're not communicating anymore.

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »

Words, on the other hand, mean things.We need them to communicate. When they become meaningless jargon and weasel words for something they really don't mean, we're not communicating anymore.

The reason certain words were in quotes in the earlier post is because they have been tossed around by those new to pagan paths and have ceased to have any meaning.  If you take exception to that, I'd suggest taking it up with those who've caused the problem. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Man Yellow

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Normal
  • Spiritual Path: Currently being re-assessed.
  • More Fun Than You Really Wanted
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »

(ex. the Druids didn't write down a lot ... much of the information passed on was oral) it would be a stretch in many cases to say accuracy exists.

And even the oral information is in doubt, as Agricola did a remarkably thorough job in eradicating the druids.
Think of this world as a prototype; a flawed and half-complete model for something better, which was later built somewhere else, and for other people.

Man Yellow

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Normal
  • Spiritual Path: Currently being re-assessed.
  • More Fun Than You Really Wanted
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »

Regarding this discussion, and discussions in general, don't assume that a particular association of concepts represents the whole. It's like a Venn diagram. American religion may or may not represent some concept. If it happens to agree or diverge, that does not mean that the whole 'complex' is implicated. This is logically fallacious. It might be true that a 'system' as a whole might be 'affected' by a certain association of one aspect of the system, but the assumption is that it is some tight system, like a machine for example, that breaks down if one part of the machine breaks. When it comes to comparing American religion and Hinduism, though, one cannot conclude absolute distinction and divergence based on the fact that some aspects seem to be the case.

I didn't understand this post.
Think of this world as a prototype; a flawed and half-complete model for something better, which was later built somewhere else, and for other people.

Stormjester

• Spiritual Path: Wicca
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »

Regarding this discussion, and discussions in general, don't assume that a particular association of concepts represents the whole. It's like a Venn diagram. American religion may or may not represent some concept. If it happens to agree or diverge, that does not mean that the whole 'complex' is implicated. This is logically fallacious. It might be true that a 'system' as a whole might be 'affected' by a certain association of one aspect of the system, but the assumption is that it is some tight system, like a machine for example, that breaks down if one part of the machine breaks. When it comes to comparing American religion and Hinduism, though, one cannot conclude absolute distinction and divergence based on the fact that some aspects seem to be the case.

I didn't understand this post.

I am trying to confront certain inconsistencies of thought. For example, concluding that Paganism "is" something because one alleged part of it seems to be that thing. If I take my assault vehicle and ram it into your spaceship, I have access to the entire ship right? Wrong. The spaceship might have bulkheads and hatches that are sealed, and must also be penetrated.

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »

I am trying to confront certain inconsistencies of thought. For example, concluding that Paganism "is" something because one alleged part of it seems to be that thing. If I take my assault vehicle and ram it into your spaceship, I have access to the entire ship right? Wrong. The spaceship might have bulkheads and hatches that are sealed, and must also be penetrated.

Interesting analogy since by ramming an assault vehicle into a spaceship would damage it and make it unsuitable for space flight. Especially if you forcibly penetrated the rest of the ship.

Wouldn't a better approach be to simply "ask" to see inside the ship? And if you were told no by the owner of a particular ship you can always ask the owner of a different version of the same class of ship.

More flies with honey...
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.