Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making spells *pretty*  (Read 8498 times)

WhitePhoenix

• Apprentice
Making spells *pretty*
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:05:49 AM »

This was a random thought that just came to me while arranging a honey jar spell on my altar. Do you ever try to make long term spells like honey jars look pretty on your altar or wherever you put them? I'm not saying that's super important, but I personally like to look at a spell that truly looks magical as well as simply being magical, haha.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I just too darn whimsical? XD

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: Making spells *pretty*
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »

I don't do a lot of spells or ones that result in something tangible hanging around my place but the one thing I do make is dream bags for the kids and yes, we do make those look pretty and magical. We use sheer colorful fabric and put glitter (fairy dust) and tiny gemstones in with the herbs. I think it definitely adds to the power of the object in this case.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »

Your perception of what you do or how you feel about it makes a huge difference in the results.  I would think that making something look pleasing to you would help the energy around what you are doing more so than something that you think is ugly.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »

Your perception of what you do or how you feel about it makes a huge difference in the results.  I would think that making something look pleasing to you would help the energy around what you are doing more so than something that you think is ugly.
:yeahthat:
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »

I agree. It reminds me of that study they apparently did with water and crystals. Branding certain containers with "beautiful words" such as "kind" and "love" made the water freeze into beautiful crystals whereas things like "jealousy" and "hate" made these murky ugly crystals. They also made children whisper things to the water. Same results.
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 11:22:50 PM »

I'm not saying that's super important

Au contraire! It is super important. I'm not saying that you can't cast a spell without doing that, but a very important part of magic is our mental image and frame of mind. I can cast some powerful spells with just my bare hands and my mental imagery alone, but when I have the time or the need for that extra boost, nothing beats being surrounded by all of my tools in my altar space with all the trappings in place. Their presence makes me feel particularly "Witchy" and that mind set means I can really call up the power to do what I need to do.

Since much of our own power is in our own visualization and mind set, we can do what we do with just that. But you have the issue of the concentration of the visualization. It's far easier to hold and point your Athame than it is to sit there and mentally feel and see it in your hands.

The physical object means that you don't have to waste concentration of the visuals and can toss that into the spell itself. The same goes for an altar space. Now that's not to say that it's the same for all people. Certainly some people are better at the multi-tasking of the visualization and the implementation of the spell. Others need the help.

So for you it is important. Just don't let it get so important that you can't function without it.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.