Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drums  (Read 9051 times)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Drums
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »

I'm sitting here at work with my iPod in one ear, listening to a Middle Eastern drumming CD from my dance studio, and found myself sort of "zoning out" while listening to beladi and saidi rhythms. So now I'm wondering about picking up a drumming CD for help with meditation or relaxation, and was wondering what others' experience or recommendations were. Is there a certain style of drumming that you find more helpful (Native American, African, Middle Easten, etc.)? How long does an "ideal" song last? 3 minutes? 5 minutes? 10? Longer? Shorter? Do you find having other instruments helpful, or distracting?
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Re: Drums
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »

Not specifically drumming, but I find that music in general can be either very helpful or distracting during meditation, depending on my mood.  I'm more likely to have a more "visual" meditation when I use music (if I'm in a mood where it won't distract me). 

I say music in general, but I tend to lean towards pieces that have pretty prominent drums, but aren't strictly drums.  I will more likely pick one that doesn't have vocals because I usually get distracted by them, but again, that really depends on my mood.

I have had issues in the past with breaks between songs, so I think I like the longer songs better, but if I had the right mix that isn't as big of an issue.  I can't say that any one type sticks out for me as I tend to like most anything with drums in it, to an extent.  I'm sure there are things out there that I haven't heard yet that I wouldn't like.  :whistle:

If you have song info, I'd love to hear some of what you are listening to.  I'm always looking for new music.  :D
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:33:51 PM »

Do you do Pandora Radio? If you find one artist or song that works, it will search out others that are musically similar for you.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »

I use a shamanic journeying CD for getting into a trance state. It's specifically made for that so it is only drums (single or two) and has 15 and 30 minute tracks. The drumming rhythms are approximately 4 beats per second which is the rate shown to induce theta waves in the human brain. These are the brain waves prevalent during trance or deep meditation and associated with the state that is in between wakefulness and sleep. You were probably starting to trance due to similar rhythms on your Middle Eastern drumming CD. I would think for trance work or meditation you might want something more monotonous without things like Native American flute piping in. I've often thought Gregorian chant or Tibetan monks chanting would work well for inducing meditative states. I don't own any music like that yet but I do have one CD called Yoga Zone that is all instrumental and I like it a lot especially to fall asleep or relax by (if I could get it back from my kids). Songs are a mixture of piano, flute, guitar and voice (without words or lyrics).
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »

EM...can you give me the name of that CD?  I've been looking for a good Drumming CD to meditate to (I meditate best to the sound of drums)  Normally during times when we meditate as a coven...our HP will drum but I cant drum and meditate at the same time LOL

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »

Sure, it's Michael Harner's Shamanic Journey Solo and Double Drumming. It's just a monotonous steady beat so probably not the thing if you want some relaxing drum music but is great for trance work.

http://www.amazon.com/Shamanic-Journey-Solo-Double-Drumming/dp/B00007BKHP/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks so much :D

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.