Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Shielding  (Read 24128 times)

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Question on Shielding
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:21:53 AM »

Can someone explain shielding to me a little bit. I'm not 100% sure what it is?
You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Someday I hope you'll join us, and the world will live as one.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: ShoelaceGirl's Journal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »

Some of the more experienced folk are probably going to chime in here and give a better explanation, but shielding is a magical (or psychological) technique for protecting yourself from unwanted energies from other people or things. Some people envision themselves as being encased in a bubble or white light or mirrors. It's more than just imagining though; I think it actually involves changing your own energy to make it impermeable. I've never been able to do this very effectively myself.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
Question on Shielding
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »

So is it all a mind thing? Just powerful thoughts? Or can you actually do spells that help with it?
You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Someday I hope you'll join us, and the world will live as one.

PaganOne

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Atheist Pagan Witch
  • Reiki Master/Aromatherapist
Question on Shielding
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

When I feel threatened or afraid, I breathe in deeply and exhale visualizing my breath forming a shield around me and my surroundings and expanding until I feel safe and calm. 

I also often draw huge protecting and banishing pentagrams (using my whole arm) in the four directions, beneath my feet and above my head.  I use my hands and arms and push the pentagrams away from me till they expand to encompass my home or even my neighborhood or however far I feel is needed.

For me, changing my energy involves changing my mind or attitude.  There are times, though, that a change of attitude is not enough.  I leave that for others with more experience in that area to explain.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:48:59 AM by PaganOne »
True happiness is fidelity to a working purpose. ~ Hellen Keller

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
Question on Shielding
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »

Shielding is using energy (your own and energy around you) to add a layer (or multiple layers) of protection about the energetic body to to prevent or reduce the influences of energies you don't want to be impacted by.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:47:31 PM by Crystal Dragon »
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Re: Question on Shielding
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »

I decided to go ahead and split this into a new topic.  It deserves its own space and attention.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »

It does ... and I don't know about others, but to me it's impolite to carry on long conversations in someones journal. ;)
Albert Einstein

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »

I completely agree.  A little off track is kind of par for the course, but a full fledged conversation unrelated to the topic should be addressed in a new thread.  ;)
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »

I'm sorry I completely forgot we were on a journal. But the comments definately helped. I really don't want to get the rep of being annoying, but I do have a tendency to ask "why" a lot. I'm at college and I'm known as "that one girl in class who asks a lot of questions and argues a lot". I guess I just want to learn. But again thank you for the comments.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »

That's perfectly OK Quotensilence!  You should always feel free to ask questions - that's one of the reasons we have this forum.

CD's definition of shielding matches my own.  Different people shield in different ways for different circumstances. 

I am empathic and can be effected very adversely by other people's emotions which has contributed to a lifelong problem with depression.  I shield every day.  Every morning as I dress, I charge a piece of jewelry to "power" my daily personal shield.  Since negativity surrounds me at work, I also have set up a small mirror shield at my desk.  I also keep a permanent mirror shield on my altar.  I have been much happier since I started using these methods of protection.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Quotensilence

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »

I have been told and feel that I posses really one gift, and that gift is of love and empathy. When someone is hurt, in need of love and affection, needs a hug, is crying etc. I find myself feelign their pain. I have from time to time been known to cry with them.
I guess I wondered if I can practice and build up shielding myself, my home and whatnot, I wonder if i can practice shielding others outside myself. Does anyone think this is possible?

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

Yes, it is more than possible.

However, my personal beliefs are that I shouldn't practice magic on someone else without their express consent.  By shielding another person, you may be preventing them from learning a lesson that they need in this lifetime.  Every time we manipulate energy, it is like throwing a rock in a pond.  There are waves of effect that spread across the pond from where the rock went in.  I'd rather not make waves in someone else pond unless they ask me to.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »

I agree with Dragon in that unless someone asked me to, I would not include them in a shield.  Even then I think I'd be more likely to teach them to shield themselves rather than try to keep a shield of mine over them.

For me, I don't often find a need to shield, though I have and will (I also don't get out and around other people outside of family much either).  I really think the need to shield and what kind of shield depends on how easily you are affected by those around you and what it is that is affecting you.

If you are just able to experience another's emotions but it really doesn't impact your own emotions or ability to function, then you may find that you don't need to shield.  For those that are deeply affected to the point of not being able to separate the emotions and energies around them from their own or that they impact everything they do, then shielding becomes vitally important.

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »

Quotensilence, You bring up two issues here, both the empathic state and shielding.

I have been told and feel that I posses really one gift, and that gift is of love and empathy. When someone is hurt, in need of love and affection, needs a hug, is crying etc. I find myself feelign their pain. I have from time to time been known to cry with them.

Being empathetic to others is the natural human state of those who have not turned off their ability to care outside of themselves and it enhances our lives.  When that state is exagerated, it is a challenge that must be controlled or our own lives become chaotic.  That's probably a whole other thread.

I guess I wondered if I can practice and build up shielding myself, my home and whatnot, I wonder if i can practice shielding others outside myself. Does anyone think this is possible?

The way we can control the empathic chaos is through shielding.  I agree with Fox and Dragonspring that I would not shield another person.  (Well, okay, when my children were young I did shield them sometimes.)  I am empathic and although I have shielded for a long time, I have recently gotten much better with it.  CD talked about multiple level shielding and since I've been doing that it is much more effective for me.  The actual layers need to be personal, but to give you an idea, this is an example of how I will shield when I know I am going to be bombarded with a lot of negative energy.

I start with a bath or shower to remove the negative sludge that may be accumulated around me.  I then imagine layers, starting with the layer closest to me.
  • A soft pink light to embrace me and maintain my ability to care.
  • A thin strong layer like mylar to hold in the pink light and repel any energy the makes it through the other layers.
  • A thick filtering layer like insulation to catch the negative energies of others and keep those energies away from me.
  • A thin repellent layer like Goretex to keep the most negative energies away.

Is this physological or magical?  Both.  By paying attention and preparing myself for succeeding through a difficult situation, I am setting myself up for success.  That said, I believe energies are real and we can impact those energies.  We draw from the Divine, the environment, ourselves, whatever our beliefs lead us to do.
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »

I tend to treat shielding as a function of grounding; not creating a barrier, but a conduit to bleed energies into the ground. Not a shield, but a lightning rod.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:59:05 AM »

ES, I really kind of think that is more what I tend to do on an unconscious level.  It allows me to acknowledge what is coming through without letting it overwhelm me.  Kind of a "Hi, I see you.  You can go now" kind of thing.

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

Thanks for making this a new topic. I looked around before responding to make sure it wasn't already a resource on the forum, but I definitely think it needs to be one as the term shielding gets used a lot in the Wiccan/pagan literature but rarely is well-explained, probably because each individual has his/her own method.

I think the topic of shielding, as Blue pointed out, brings up the issue of the need for shielding, i.e., what is empathy or being empathic. And, yes, we could start a whole other thread on this, but I'll leave it up to admin to decide if this reply should be split out. I'm posting this because I'm still evolving my thinking on this and am interested in others' opinions and maybe what I say will give Quotensilence some food for thought.

I've changed my thinking a bit on my personal definitions of empathy and compassion since I started this path and have found that changing my emotional perspective can alleviate the need for me to attempt shielding in some situations. I originally equated empathy and compassion and felt I was strongly both compassionate and possibly empathic. Then I realized that, to me, empathy is really a problem of lack of appropriate emotional filters and boundaries. In other words, I lack the normal mechanism that would allow me to distinguish the emotion that is appropriately mine and that which comes from an outside source. One remedy would be to learn to create a shield to compensate for the lacking boundary.  I've learned that's like treating the symptom and not addressing the root of the issue; this is probably where many of you empaths will disagree. I see the underlying cause of empathy as attachment. I feel the pain, sadness, or whatever emotion of others because I subconsciously somehow attach these emotions to my own situation, issues or life. I see true compassion, on the other hand, as the ability to react to another person's predicament or feeling from a place of love without any attachment to the self. I believe this is what the Buddha taught. If I am able to realize this in a situation and change my perspective to one of non-attachment, I no longer feel the discomfort associated with taking on emotions that do not belong to me. That's not to say, that is in any way an easy thing to do, but I feel that eventually if I practice changing my perspective, I no longer will have the need to shield. In the meantime, I do not deny that shields can be an effective strategy for dealing with the lack of the normal emotional filters.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »

I tend to treat shielding as a function of grounding; not creating a barrier, but a conduit to bleed energies into the ground. Not a shield, but a lightning rod.

ES, I now use this as part of one of my layers (and will be forever grateful to you for your suggestion).  It does help to drain off the intensity of some of the stronger emotions ... but I still need to have additional layers to mitigate emotions and energies I have to deal with on a daily basis.  To expand on what BF said, it's not just multiple personal layers that I use, I also use crystals/stones to enhance my personal shields (as Dragon described) and I have wards on both the house and my truck.  I've found that if I don't have the wards in place, the negativity from the surrounding metro area is so intense that I end up in a constant state of being pissed off at everyone ... for absolutely no reason.  I started the ward on the truck after I realized that I was getting so agitated with the other drivers not because of what they were doing, but because the other drivers were agitated with each other and I was reacting to that.

I've learned that's like treating the symptom and not addressing the root of the issue; this is probably where many of you empaths will disagree. I see the underlying cause of empathy as attachment.

I don't think we disagree at all EM ... but I do think that there is a huge difference between normal human empathy for another, and being a true "empath", for lack of a better word.

As BF mentioned, normal human empathy for another, where you try and place yourself in a similar situation and imagine how you might feel to better relate to that person, is something everyone is able to do assuming they haven't been discouraged from it so much that they've blocked all that out.  And I can easily see where past personal experience or even a particular genetic make-up would create a situation where someone could more easily relate to others, or even exaggerate how someone might be feeing, due to their own experiences.

Empaths are different though.  If I'm not properly shielded, I can walk into a room full of people that I have never met before and tell exactly what each of those people is feeling.  It's very distracting.  I can't go into places with large numbers of people without being completely overwhelmed to the point of total confusion unless I'm shielded.  Being at an amusement park, or on an airplane, is impossible without shielding.  I think that I'd have to call being an empath more of a curse than a gift.  But with proper shielding I can go happily about my life and function normally ... and even make use of the emotions I pick up from others, so long as I'm not getting overwhelmed by them. ;)
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »

Yes, CD, understanding the difference between empathy and being an empath has been a struggle for me. I too get quite overwhelmed in crowds of people and have never fully understood why that is. Now whether this is due to being empathetic, empathic, or just sensitive, is hard for me to differentiate. But, I don't think being normally empathetic requires a conscious effort to put yourself in another's place. It can be more of a subconscious attaching of their emotions to your own situation or emotions. I think information gleaned on the others' emotions may be subliminal as well through body language, energy, etc. I'm not sure a true empathic fits into the little model I have worked out for myself, but I was wager that "true" empaths are more rare and most people (I'm not including you in this boat, CD) are probably mostly empathetic and maybe have a touch of empath nature, which I am thinking  may be more of psychic ability. What do you think?

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »

That makes quite a lot of sense EM - I sometimes wonder if some of my empathic ability is related to an ability to "read between the lines" as you have described.  However, there have been too many instances of picking up other peoples emotions across distances, etc. to attribute it all to good observation skills.

Before I started shielding, I was pretty seriously in danger of becoming reclusive - dealing with the chaos of other people's emotions was just too uncomfortable.  Shielding has made it possible for me to stop taking anti-depressants and I can't recall the last time I had an anxiety attack.  I sometimes wonder if the majority of mild mental illnesses could be treated by simply teaching shielding techniques.  Then I recall all the years of psychotherapy I went through - where I learned "coping" techniques that were suspiciously similar to shielding. :rolleye:
Blessings,
dragon

PaganOne

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Atheist Pagan Witch
  • Reiki Master/Aromatherapist
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »

I rather think I will explore that idea.  Thank you, ES.
True happiness is fidelity to a working purpose. ~ Hellen Keller

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »

Hmmm... good points, Dragon. I have to think about this some more, particularly re. true empaths.  My ideas of course relate to my own experience, and also to ideas in a Carlos Castaneda book I have been reading relating to my shamanic path. In the book, Castaneda talks about the "place of no pity" that the sorcerers he works with reach when they shift their perspective to a more enlightened (for lack of a better word) state. I equated that to a time in my life where I felt my consciousness was briefly very much expanded. During that time, I felt almost zero self-pity and I was much more able to show true compassion because my own emotional reactions were not in the way causing me to take on and react to the emotions of others. That's what I meant by a change in perspective. Even operating from my normal perspective, it helps me to apply this and realize when I am taking on more than what is mine. I guess in that case, I am practicing a sort of shielding by reaffirming for myself what is mine and what is not mine, even though I'm not performing the sorts of visualizations you all go through when you erect layers of shields. It's kind of like making sure your physical, emotional, and spiritual boundaries are intact. CD, I'm glad you found a shielding system that has worked for you. I can't imagine how annoying that would be to feel what everybody in a crowded room was feeling-- I think I would become a hermit and find dark remote a cave to live in! Of course, the rocks would still be sending out their energies so I guess there's really no escaping, is there?

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »

:rotflmao:

Nope, there's no escaping.  :whistle:  I totally get what you are saying regarding your own emotional reactions and taking on those of others.  With me it's different though ... it's more like feeling a certain way, but not knowing WHY you feel that way.  At least, that's what it was like before I understood that they weren't MY emotions, but someone elses.  Things made so much more sense once I figured that all out.  For a while (as a teen) I assumed it was just hormones and mood swings and any emotion I had "no reason to feel" was just pushed aside.  But all that did was create a huge wall in my psyche and make me miserable.  I'm much happier being able to see emotions for who they belong to and dealing with them through shielding. ;)
Albert Einstein

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 09:27:06 PM »

CD- I think I can get away with less shielding than you because I'm just less sensitive to the people around me than you; on the other hand, I'm very sensitive to the elements, which probably makes my grounding extra effective. Between those effects, I seldom need more than my Faraday cage grounding.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 09:44:58 PM »

I need to work on being more sensitive to the elements ... I don't have near the connection to them I feel like I could have.  Plants and crystals I do fine with, but I'm still working on the element stuff. :whistle:
Albert Einstein

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.