Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to all of this  (Read 8665 times)

Glaukos

• Validating
New to all of this
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

i was talking to a friend of mine a few months ago when the topic of religion came up (oddly enough it was sparked by a catholic priest sitting at the booth behind us). Ive known her since my freshmen year of high school and i never really asked her what she believed in.  She was telling me about her beliefs and how she is a pagan and it really interested me, so i started to read about it on my own and learn as much as i could. I guess my question is I'm from a catholic family (irish and polish) and they don't take to kindly to other religions, yet i never really agreed with the church, not that i dis-respect it.  I just feel that it can be too stereotypical and overbearing. Do i follow this feeling i have and jut tell them, or do i keep it inside of me? (can you tell I'm not catholic anymore?)

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
Re: New to all of this
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »

Irish Catholic in its truest form is as close to Pagan as a Christian can get, IMO. Especially the old Culdee church of Ireland. I was also raised Catholic of mostly Irish/Polish descent.

If you are under 18 and living with your parents/guardian, there is no reason and very little sense in telliung anyone off. Read Irish mythology. (It is almost impossible to find anything on Polish mythology unless you can read Polish) Even if you are on your own, getting confrontational isn't worth the energy or bad feelings it would stir up. Just follow your own heart, and live according to what you believe. YOu don't have to talk to anyone about it, unless you so choose.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »

You are the only one who can know what is right for you.  I do suggest you think long and hard about whatever belief you may have before deciding that something is specifically for you.  Feel free to dig around the forums and ask questions as they come up.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Glaukos

• Validating
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »

before i say anything, towards the bottom of my comment i typed jut which should be just. I know you probably figured that out but sometimes my hands type faster than by eye proofreads  :tongue roll:  I probably came off like i was going to tell my family off, something i had never planned to do (that wouldn't work so very well) :) Im just caught in the middle because i am 18 and i live with a friend from school (the typical when I'm 18 I'm leaving thing lol) but I'm nervous about what my family will say.  My uncle was oddly enough was in the seminary for quite a few years and my parents are highly religious, so I'm just apprehensive about their response.  I can read/write/speak polish (something you pick up when all your aunts and uncles speak it) so ill look up some of the traditions.  Thanks for your help :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:54:26 PM by Glaukos »

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20:52 AM »

Honey, ask yourself why you want to tell the family.  Is it just to let them know?  Or are you really wanting them to tell you it's OK?

If you just want to tell them for the sake of telling them, then you need to consider how they might react ... and if you think it's liable to be poorly, then just keep it to yourself unless it get's brought up by someone else.  There is no good that can come of telling the parents if it will upset them and cause them to be concerned for you, even if that concern is born of fear due to their own beliefs. ;)

If you are looking for acceptance of a chosen path, ask yourself why you need that from them.  Yes, acceptance from others (especially family) is really nice.  But we will survive whether we get that acceptance or not.  If it's not worth being upset by their (possible) reaction, there is no reason to mention it.  There are no wrong answers and as we mature and grow as adults things are constantly changing  and we need acceptance from others less often. 

Let your life and actions speak to who you are.  If it does come up in conversation in the future, you can just calmly state that you are the same person you've always been.  The only difference at that point is that they'll know you follow a different path.  Just keep in mind that some people are so rigid in their religious beliefs that they can't accept another (especially one they care about) having beliefs different than their own.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »

I think you have gotten some really sound advice from this forum...
I have been a practicing witch for many years and one thing that I found is that it can be a isolated path.
Because it is truly a personal journey, it is important to know that much of what you do remains private. It has taken me many years to be really comfortable with sharing my beliefs. I do have one rule: I share to "educate"  those who are sincere in their interest. I try never to find myself in a situation where I have to "defend" or "argue" my beliefs. It's just not worth it. It's not what we do. And I wonder if you might meet resistance head on if you try to bring this to your family now. Take your time... study... learn... and use this forum as a means of support. The rest will come. Enjoy the journey!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.