Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spellwork-Questions from a newbie.  (Read 10424 times)

dragonsfancy

Spellwork-Questions from a newbie.
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »

As a beginner just starting her journey on the path of Paganism, how do you know when or if you're ready for spellwork?  I have a general understanding of what and how to use it, but I just don't know where to begin.  I'm sorely afraid that I will make a spell that will either fizzle or have a completely negative reaction than what I am intending.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Spellwork-Questions from a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:02:09 AM »

The answer to this would depend on the type of spellwork you are trying to do.  There are lots of different types of spellwork - from folk magic to ceremonial.  If you are intending to do what some folks might call "high magic", it is important to have the skill to create an adequate Circle and to direct and hold energy.  Other spells like a simple cleansing do not require such skill and can be done by beginners.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »

I agree with dragonspring, as a newbie myself. HOWEVER, you can't know unless you try and confidence has everything to do with it. If you really think it is within your scope of knowing then try. Good luck!

dragonsfancy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »

I'm definitely looking at simpler magick.  Cleansing, spells for wellness and protection.  Even some for fertility, as hubby and I are trying to get pregnant.  Thank you both very much.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »

For all those types of things, I tend not to do formal spells but have done some spontaneous folk/kitchen-witchy type magic to enhance certain energies along the lines a spontaneous smudging, making up a potion or putting out salt for home protection, wearing certain gemstones or herbs for certain energetic needs, etc.  The intent and desired outcome tends to be less specific/detailed.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »

I have a general understanding of what and how to use it, but I just don't know where to begin.

Just pick a focus that's the most demanding in your life right now, that's usually the best place to start. Spellwork reacts to the need and to the will of the individual. You might as well use the energies that are already there. :)

Personally, I've observed that spells tend to only fizzle if you aren't working towards it on the physical end as well. For example, a spell for finding a job does not work if you only cast the spell and then sit around waiting for the job to fall into your lap. You need to do the legwork too to your best ability, and purposefully.

When it comes to the how and the mechanics of it, I'm sure you've read up enough on a lot of that to know what you should be doing.

One other point, know what you are going to do before you begin any workings. It doesn't help your energy flow to stop periodically to review and read from your notes. :) Hope that helps a bit.

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »

One other point, know what you are going to do before you begin any workings. It doesn't help your energy flow to stop periodically to review and read from your notes. :) Hope that helps a bit.

Guilty  :blush:

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »

So much of what we do in simple folk magic is more like a prayer and a metaphor for what we want, we try to create ripples that push us toward a goal. The objects used are simply to enhance and focus your energy.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Zlat on Today at 13:36:20

Guilty  :blush:

haha

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »

Dragonsfancy, I was wondering how you are doing on your spellwork... Have you tried anything and how did it go? <:)

Rovay

• ***Suspended Account***
  • Spiritual Path: Dualism, Shamanism
  • Rusted from the rain
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »

As a beginner just starting her journey on the path of Paganism, how do you know when or if you're ready for spellwork?  I have a general understanding of what and how to use it, but I just don't know where to begin.  I'm sorely afraid that I will make a spell that will either fizzle or have a completely negative reaction than what I am intending.

Here is the key to your question, and the answer. Being pagan is much more than spells, it is a way of life. It is religion above all. When your faith is strong enough, you will be ready to do so. When your gods give you the sign, you will know. Ask them, not us. They decide, not you.

If you ask, you are clearly not ready in my opinion.

"For the believer there are no questions, and for the unbeliever there are no answers."

P.S. Didn't mean to sound harsh or something, just my opinion sounds rather blunt at times. Still, remember how cool Blondie looks even when he sounds mean in his speech, and don't be angry with me.
Eer aan die gode en hul oordeel.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.
Those that are best with the blades rarely let them leave the sheaths.

Zlat

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »

I don't have gods.  :whistle:

Some people call upon energies without themselves, some call upon their own internal energies and will. Either way, you will need some kind of "force" to tap into during your focus.

My approach to spellwork isn't really under this category, so I'm just stating commonly-accepted theories in this post. :) Maybe it'll clarify something fuzzy for you though. Can't hurt, right?

Rovay

• ***Suspended Account***
  • Spiritual Path: Dualism, Shamanism
  • Rusted from the rain
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »

You will need focus to tap on, true that.
Eer aan die gode en hul oordeel.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.
Those that are best with the blades rarely let them leave the sheaths.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.