Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: earth based beliefs  (Read 14014 times)

Spinster

earth based beliefs
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

I'm pretty comfortable with the Runes, and decided to look into the ogham. Reading up on it brought to light a dilemma I've had for years. When reading about the trees, I realized that many of them do not grow where I am now living. The last time I saw a spruce was 2,000 miles ago.
I would like to maintain my Celtic heritage by following the practices of my ancestors as much as possible. But I'm in another culture and climate. Should I try to replace certain trees or plants with native ones? Should I try to do without? Or should I adopt practices of the local indigenous people who honored nature here?
I am just at a standstill. Glad for any input.
Thanks.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
Re: earth based beliefs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »

Where are you roughly geographically? What is around you?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:09:01 PM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »

The neat thing about the Celts is they did adapt what they could not bring with them. Look at pumpkins vrs turnips at Samhain. The pumpkins grow larger and are easier to work with, so in the New World, pumpkin it became.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

I'd probably do a little of both. If, say, a certain wood is important and you can get it for a tool, then I would get it. Adapt and make use of what is native where you are when you cannot.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »

I would agree that doing both would be helpful.  I would study the correspondences and try to find materials that are similar to those native in the Celtic area you are interested in.     Keep in mind that the Celts were pretty widespread and as Bron said, they had to adapt as well.  Learning about what correspondences the indigenous people used can help you select substitutes.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Spinster

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

I do think the Celts visited the new world, but I'm not sure they visited central Texas. There are no fir, birch and mistletoe. There are plenty of pine and oak and sweetgum and osage orange. I haven't been here long so there are some that I haven't found yet.
Thanks for the comments.  :rolleye:

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »

Fir and birch may be hard to come by (though you may find some birch near river bottoms). Mistletoe is common, however. Once the hackberry and cedar elm trees finish dropping their leaves, you should be able to spot some mistletoe (particularly in pastures or non-landscape areas). Around here (North Texas) it' very common, even in parking lots at the mall. Different species, but the same family, I believe.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »

I do think the Celts visited the new world, but I'm not sure they visited central Texas. There are no fir, birch and mistletoe. There are plenty of pine and oak and sweetgum and osage orange. I haven't been here long so there are some that I haven't found yet.

Sure they did! MacGreggor was the Piper at the Alamo!
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

vordan

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »

Cotttonwood is a sacred wood, you can use it for a variety of things. Spanish moss can stuff poppets and the willows grow in the arroyos.
Mark Twain

Spinster

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »

Sure they did! MacGreggor was the Piper at the Alamo!

Sorry, I meant before Europeans arrived.

Spinster

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »

Cotttonwood is a sacred wood, you can use it for a variety of things. Spanish moss can stuff poppets and the willows grow in the arroyos.

O good to know about cottonwood. Haven't found any yet, or willows although I know they are here. Spanish moss is everywhere!

Spinster

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »

Fir and birch may be hard to come by (though you may find some birch near river bottoms). Mistletoe is common, however. Once the hackberry and cedar elm trees finish dropping their leaves, you should be able to spot some mistletoe (particularly in pastures or non-landscape areas). Around here (North Texas) it' very common, even in parking lots at the mall. Different species, but the same family, I believe.
I did not know that. I barely found mistletoe in New England. I haven't been to "non landscaped" places much. Still finding my way around. Pastures here are all fenced and posted.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »

My daddy used to take his .22 and shoot mistletoe out of the trees at Christmas.  We lived in Ellis county.  I think he went to the creek where the trees grew a little taller to find it.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

vordan

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »

I might mention also that many European trees are planted as ornamentals around buildings. Littlehip Hawthorne will grow along fences in Texas. How long have you been down there and are you fit enough to do some serious hiking? Are you alone, or do you have friends or family to walk with? You can find some awesome preserves and parks in Texas.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:14:47 PM by vordan »
Mark Twain

Spinster

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »

My daddy used to take his .22 and shoot mistletoe out of the trees at Christmas.  We lived in Ellis county.  I think he went to the creek where the trees grew a little taller to find it.

That is just TOO funny!

Spinster

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

I might mention also that many European trees are planted as ornamentals around buildings. Littlehip Hawthorne will grow along fences in Texas. How long have you been down there and are you fit enough to do some serious hiking? Are you alone, or do you have friends or family to walk with? You can find some awesome preserves and parks in Texas.

I'm not much of a hiker (getting old... :omg:) and right now I'm without transportation.
I'm not really looking for trees to take wood from, just to talk to, I guess.
My question really goes beyond trees. I sometimes wonder if I should be trying to carry on traditions from another part of the earth, or try to adapt to the indigenous culture where I am.

vordan

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »

I'm not much of a hiker (getting old... :omg:) and right now I'm without transportation.
I'm not really looking for trees to take wood from, just to talk to, I guess.
My question really goes beyond trees. I sometimes wonder if I should be trying to carry on traditions from another part of the earth, or try to adapt to the indigenous culture where I am.

Let me put it this way, you are not a native and not really old world Irish create something new. Use a bit of that and a pinch of this, like some original American recipe based on something else. American Chinese food is not really Chinese, American Mexican food is not really Mexican food. I am getting older myself, we all do the best we can.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:07:07 PM by vordan »
Mark Twain

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »

I think it makes sense to adapt to where you are because it connects you to where you presently live. If you were living Down Under, of course you would shift your Sabbat celebrations to match the seasons in the southern hemisphere. If you are really following the Wheel, then you notice what is going on around you and adapt your observances to what is happening in your surroundings. To do otherwise, would be sort of silly... though there's no reason you can't remember at a certain time of year people are doing this in your homeland while here people do this other thing.  You could observe certain traditions as remembrances in that case. However, you will always be you and carry the traditions of your heritage or chosen path with you. So if you come from Celtic lineage, I would expect you to carry on with some of the traditions of that heritage no matter where you are. You are a product of your heritage and your environment. Each place you live will leave a bit of an imprint on you and your practices-- it's the story of you. For that reason, I don't think you have to completely forsake your roots for the traditions of where you live you now. It's like Vordan says of food though you could apply it to a person-- a Chinese person who is raised in America becomes American Chinese. It's not the same as being Chinese and it's not the same as being just American either--it's being a Chinese person who has lived in America. Does that make sense?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Spinster

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »

earthmuffin, it really does make sense. I was just wondering how people of different faiths manage to raise children who aren't running in circles.  :crazy: I've always wanted to follow the old traditions and not just create things out of my own head, but I see that it might not really be possible. This is going to require some real thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.