Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was Fired...help...  (Read 7715 times)

anubisa

• Journeyman
  • Mood: okay
  • Spiritual Path: Egyptian Wiccan
  • Egyptian Wiccan
Was Fired...help...
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »

Ya'll know that I 'used' to work at Burger King. I was fired because of an altercation I had between a younger black male and myself. I grabbed his shirt and pushed him back. I was wrong and I apologized, but I was fired. This was at another BK...that I transferred to. I had been working there for the past 3 weeks and the crew for the most part (3 woman had been nice to me) had been really rude and jerks to me. I felt I had been respectful of all of them and yet they had disrespected me. I had asked for this man to fill my ice bin because I was too busy taking orders, but he wouldn't. I was wrong for laying my hands on the gentleman, but wasn't the business wrong for not taking action to correct their employees behavior? I'm not racist, because I was 1 of 4 white people there. I mostly get along with everyone. This was the first time I was fired and the first time I was in an altercation.
Anubisa
One day you will face him and he will weigh your soul. Only then will you see yourself for what you truly are.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Was Fired...help...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »

I'm really sorry you got fired but it's pretty standard procedure to terminate the employment of people who behave violently in any way.  Some companies who invest a lot of money in employee development have counseling programs for anger management but that would probably not be the case in the fast food business.  I hope you find a new job soon! :grouphug:
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »

Dragon's right. Unless you have witnesses saying you were acting in self defence... nope. Most companies will not even think twice, you will be fired.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »

Sorry, Anubisa. I hope you find another job soon.  :grouphug:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

anubisa

• Journeyman
  • Egyptian Wiccan
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:30:41 PM »

I thank you all for your comments. I've had a lot to think about. I'm definitely not going to put myself in that situation.
Anubisa
One day you will face him and he will weigh your soul. Only then will you see yourself for what you truly are.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this... you might want to see if you can use it to learn? Instead of focusing on the fact of "I apologized but they fired me anyway", maybe try to take an objective look at what happened and why you reacted like you did. What made you physically reach out and push him? The "he wouldn't fill my ice bin when I was busy" is a reason to be mad, IMHO... but not serious enough to bring it to physical contact. (I worked at Burger King for some time - one of the reasons I can't stand the smell of coffee - so I understand about the pace and the frustration, by the way)

It may be that there's an underlying dislike of the guy (regardless of race), but it might also be that the stress of the workplace in general got to you (been there, done that), and if that's the case, maybe it will help you figure out a better way to identify and deal with it instead of doing something that will cost you your job in the future. I can't think of any employers that would tolerate an employee who physically assaulted a co-worker, so if it is something that you can learn from to keep it from happening again, maybe it's not entirely a negative thing.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:10:40 PM »

May you find another and better job soon. Laying hands on  a fellow worker is a no no everywhere except for wrestling circuits.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:59:52 PM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »

Very true ... there is no excuse for ever shoving, or even touching, a coworker out of anger.  Honestly?  Regardless of how nice you think you've been, have you really?  Do you go out of your way to help others, especially without them asking?  Obviously I can't make any judgment on that personally as I don't know you in person, but I've worked fast food too and know how stressful it can be.  I also know how easy it is for a lot of people to get nasty with others without even realizing it.  Identifying why you reacted the way you did will help you in other areas later in life.  And doing something productive to prevent that in the future will help you to grow as a person.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

anubisa

• Journeyman
  • Egyptian Wiccan
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:47 AM »

I appreciate your thoughts. I don't blame anyone but myself for my actions, but I do feel that...theres a lot of feelings, angry, hurt, upset. I've never done something like that before and I feel upset with myself. But i'm not going to let it get me down, maybe fast food wasn't for me. I now have to look for another job. Wish me luck please.
Anubisa

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:37 AM »

This is one of life's lessons. Part of the process of maturation. The important thing is to integrate it and move forward.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Moonblade

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Knowledge Seeker
  • Dream Chaser
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »

Violence against a co-worker, or customer, is pretty much universally excepted as a condition for immediate termination from a work place. I am sorry you lost your job and I hope you will find a new one soon, but we all must accept the consequences of our actions. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to explore other job options outside of fast food? Things that seem bad are sometimes just a matter of one door closing so that another could open.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams." -Thoreau

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

Anubisa, Hon, you have gotten lots of good feedback on this situation.  I also hope that you can grow from this experience.  In the end, we all need to take responsibility for our own lives.  That is a kind and powerful place to move from -- responsibility, not blame.   ()
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

anubisa

• Journeyman
  • Egyptian Wiccan
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »

Thank you all for your insights and thoughts. I am feeling better now and have to look forward to applying to a new job. While I am out of a job I am going to work on my novel and help my parents around the house.
Anubisa
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.