Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Health Calculator  (Read 7393 times)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Interesting Health Calculator
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

I know there are limitations about using BMI as "THE indicator of healthy weight". But in general it can be a useful tool.

The WebMD calculator above will also help determine RMR and target calorie goals for weight loss/gain/maintenance, target heart rate for exercise, and an indication of what your "shape" is (pear, apple, etc - I never could tell!).

The answers I got on the site are consistent with the research I've done on several other sites, so I wanted to share in case anyone was interested. :)
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Re: Interesting Health Calculator
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Definitely a lot of good info there, but dang!  That was sort of depressing.  :whistle:
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »

I was sort of borderline for healthy shape/at risk.... always thought I was a pear but I wonder how accurate pants size calculation is. I mean pants are really weird these days with larger waists since they are so low slung than they used to have.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:03 PM »

I dunno... I've looked at a bunch of different sites and they all seem to have the same "waist measurement" (within 1-2") based on the natural waist. I think it's a reasonable approximation, shy of grabbing a tape measure...?

There were no survivors.

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »

I address the flaws in the BMI theory here: http://cuumbaya.blogspot.com/2006/04/bmi.html

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »

ES, I've always hated the BMI standards as no matter how you look at them, they seem to represent unreasonably unhealthy numbers and impossible to attain standards.  For someone my height, my target weight range to put me at a healthy BMI is 104 to 141 pounds.  I was around 138 when I met Hubby and looking at pictures from back then, I just almost don't look healthy.  I can't even imagine how horrid I'd look at 104.  The site that Tir linked to also stated that the higher end of that weight range is only for those of a larger bone structure.  I am no where near a big boned person, so that means I should be at the lower end of that weight range.  According to that chart, I am well into the obese range for where I'm at, which is really kind of nauseating.

If you look at my Hubby and his target with his height, he would be a walking skeleton.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »

Then you might be interested in this tidbit I printed later: Speaking about the BMI calculator to my wife and another female friend, I was given another tidbit about the government's reccomendations: an adult female, in the "normal" BMI range, consuming the number of calories reccomended to maintain that weight, and allocating those calories in the manner prescribed in the food pyramid, will not receive the full RDA of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Interesting.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »

Yeah, that kind of floors me.  My goal isn't to live off of lettuce and vitamins.  :whistle:

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »

I'll delete this thread when I get home (I can't do it from my phone). Sorry. Was just trying to offer some info that I found helpful and in line with the research I've done. I know tere are issues with BMI, and I'm pretty sure I said that in my first post. But no matter how you cut it, unless you're an athlete with an extremely low body fat percentage, at 6'0" and 200 pounds, the average adult is likely carrying too much weight.

There were no survivors.

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »

There is no need to delete the thread, Tir.  I think this has been a very interesting conversation and I have learned quite a bit from it.  ()

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »

No, don't delete the thread, Tir. I think it is important (as this thread demonstrates) to think about your weight and BMI in the context of your build, diet and level of exercise. And I have often wondered if the food pyramid needs revision to include more fruits and veggies and less grains. Americans seem to eat too many grains, especially of the processed, refined variety.

My question about pants had to do with my curiosity about clothing trends and my weight trends and was not really meant to be a criticism of the model. One thing I have refused to do is allow myself to go up a size in clothes. If I need a new pair of pants and can't find a pair in my size that fits, I don't buy new pants. However, while this has worked for my vanity, I am not sure it has worked well as a weight management strategy because we now have so many stretch jeans and the waists are now at the hips. I still fit into the same size I wore 3 years ago when I weighed 20 lbs less but probably actually am a size larger. I think the clothing designers/manufacturers are conspirators in this phenomenon as well. I noticed recently that in the pants labels there is a US size and Mexico size, with the US size running a size larger than the Mexico size. The clothing makers want us to think we are thinner than we are and also that we have bigger boobs than we do. My bra size has gone up despite the fact that I am pretty sure I am no better endowed now than I ever was as an adult.

People-watch in your local store and you will see that the average adult is carrying too much weight. I did this not too long ago and only about 1 in 10 people or fewer appeared to be a healthy weight. Very very few appeared too skinny. 

To answer my own question about the pants, I think I should probably measure my waist to confirm what I am pretty sure is true-- that I am 'at risk' as opposed to healthy at the moment.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

otacon122

• ***Suspended Account***
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »

I am 6'4 and 145lbs with a 32-inch waist.  All the BMI calculators put me in at 18.5 or 19, which is borderline normal (slightly lower than where it should be for someone my age).  According to the BMI charts, my ideal body weight is 160lbs, so technically I am 15lbs under weight, but medically, the only issue is I don't get enough protein in my diet.  A full-body lab test showed everything except my protein level was normal, while my protein level was lower than where it should be. I don't trust BMI calculators, either.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:31:12 AM by otacon122 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.