Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group Practices?  (Read 8358 times)

TheGuardian3

• Spiritual Path: Solitary Eclectic Wiccan
  • My Goddess Phoenix tattoo (Feb. 12, 2011)
    • Book of Shadows
Group Practices?
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »

I didn't know where to post this question, so I decided to post it here.

Anyway, I've been Solitary all my life throughout my practice. I was curious as to how it feels to be apart of a group practice, ritual, coven, etc? I know the basic outline of what groups use, but I'm curious about if anyone has any variations of it. Please share your experiences if you feel comfortable doing so.

Goddess bless )O(
May Goddess bless the pen in my hand and words upon my page. )O(

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
Re: Group Practices?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »

I have never really been solitary since beginning my path. I started with a coven and now I have my own coven I run.

I honestly love the group setting. In the right group, its amazing. Solitary practice gives me too much room to be lazy LOL

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »

I love my group, it is very relaxed and we have good energy. If you find the right group the energy experience is awesome and you make some great friendships. I think you are forced to learn things you wouldn't as a solitary. I am the High Priest and in charge whenever the women pretend to let me be. lol
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »

And as a High Priestess, Vordan is right!  :rotflmao:

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »

I am strictly solitary.  The only group practice I've done has been a few online rituals with some very close friends.  I have loved those rare moments as it is nice to work with others and to share the experience energetically, which the energy is very, very different, but I also really value being able practice alone and in a manner that fits me.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »

I am strictly solitary.  The only group practice I've done has been a few online rituals with some very close friends.  I have loved those rare moments as it is nice to work with others and to share the experience energetically, which the energy is very, very different, but I also really value being able practice alone and in a manner that fits me.
DITTO!
I rarely even work with the hubby, since our paths, while similar and based on the same roots, is different enough to cause friction in many cases.

And that is something you need to watch for with group dynamics. It doesn't happen in every group, but egos and attitudes can  mess up the energies.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

thegeekwitch

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Melancholy
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan with Wiccan and Druidic Leanings
  • Terri
    • Geek Witch
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 05:00:51 AM »

I was a solitary up until about 2-3 months ago.  I'm not in a coven but I do monthly esbat rituals with some of my friends who I've met through the Pagan Alliance and it's great.  Although, I'm definitely not giving up my solitary side.  I feel I work better alone in that respect, but on the other hand it's great to have other perspective and people to bounce ideas off of.  You sort of get a feel, too, of the way other people do their own rites and so forth, and it becomes a development for your own practice.
Blessings,
Terri xx

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

Up to this point, I have been pretty much solitary in my practice and participated in group settings only briefly online and with a teaching coven that did not work out for me.  Recently though, I have been practicing rituals with a local meet-up group and with a larger umbrella organization, Serpentstone.  I  am also attending classes pretty regularly and expect to join a group for formal training very soon.  I am finding that recent developments in my spirituality have created a need for training that wasn't present before.

I do agree that finding the right group is very important and that egos in general have detrimental effects on the Pagan community and especially groups.  Watching the dynamics of how people deal with others over a period of time is something that I have found to be helpful in determining which group(s) I would request entry to.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.