Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Healer's Kit  (Read 10504 times)

Kari

Healer's Kit
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »

As a new healer, I assume I would want to get items beyond the normal first aid things, such as gauze, alcohol, and band-aids.  Am I correct, and, if so, what might I need to obtain?

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
Re: Healer's Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »

Training.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »

I'm not really certain what you are asking here as there are many, many different types of healers and each one will need specific things.  It does sound as if you have little to no training, so I would highly recommend learning as much as you possibly can about the craft you are interested in before ever attempting any kind of healing as most often an inexperienced healer to do much greater damage than they are capable of being able to fix.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Kari

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »

I know someone who has some healing ability, but I've looked around and can't find much.  I'm mostly experimenting, and, so far, have been able to lessen pain/aches and sense pain, but only with people I'm close to.  However, I'm mostly relying on my own training with first aid, and it's difficult to find material on the subject.  Just about everything I've found on the Internet relates to role playing or full rituals, when all I need is for the infection to go away or the wound to heal quicker.  I've researched different stones and herbs, but I have an annoying tendency to kill plants and I'm not sure how stones will work with me.  Are there certain books or websites I should be looking for?  And what did you mean by there are different types of healers?

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »

There are those that can help heal physical illness and pain, others that can do the same for emotional illness and pain.  Then you have spiritual healers and energetic healers (Reiki to be more specific as an example).  Each one requires a certain level of education and knowledge to be able to truly work and heal effectively without causing more harm.  There are many of those that can also cross between areas of expertise, such as Reiki healers.  They use and manipulate energy to help solve many issues be they physical, emotional, or spiritual (though I'd be more than glad for someone with a lot more experience in the area to clarify that thought).
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

otacon122

• ***Suspended Account***
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »

Kari, from my own personal experience with emotional healing, I can tell you this:  Patience is key.  In many cases, especially when you are talking about emotional healing, it can take quite a bit of time for your efforts to pay off.  I have had cases of my own in which it took a couple years from the moment I met the person to the moment they were emotionally stable again.  Not all cases are that severe, but not all cases will be quick and easy, either.  My advice to you is learn as much as you can about healing before you attempt it, but also know this:  Understanding the person you are healing will make a big difference, and what I mean by understanding the person is you have to know what happened to cause them to need healing, you have to know how that event affected them, and you have to know what kind of things they are comfortable with - for example, do they believe in Reiki or Magick?  If not, then you will have a much harder time using Reiki or Magick for healing.  Another good piece of advice is this: Do not be afraid of whatever negative energies they may have that they are trying to rid themselves of.  In some cases, you may have to channel that negative energy into yourself to help them heal, so make sure to have a way to rid yourself of those negative energies once you are able to rid your subject of them.  Emotional healing requires a sense of empathy.  Empathy and Intuition are two of the key requirements for emotional healing, but knowledge of and command over the psionic energies will prove extremely useful for emotional healing.  Psionic energies are those of the mind, such as telepathy and kinesis, but having telepathic abilities will be extremely helpful with emotional and spiritual healing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:48:29 PM by otacon122 »

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »

otacon, I have to strongly disagree with almost every single bit of advice you have posted.  You are responding to someone that has little to no experience in this area and what you have advised, especially on channeling negative energy, could be extremely dangerous to both the healer and the person being healed.  Please, do not advise on something that you obviously know so very little about.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »

Kari, from my own personal experience with emotional healing, I can tell you this:  Patience is key.  In many cases, especially when you are talking about emotional healing, it can take quite a bit of time for your efforts to pay off.  I have had cases of my own in which it took a couple years from the moment I met the person to the moment they were emotionally stable again.  Not all cases are that severe, but not all cases will be quick and easy, either.  My advice to you is learn as much as you can about healing before you attempt it, but also know this:  Understanding the person you are healing will make a big difference, and what I mean by understanding the person is you have to know what happened to cause them to need healing, you have to know how that event affected them, and you have to know what kind of things they are comfortable with - for example, do they believe in Reiki or Magick?  If not, then you will have a much harder time using Reiki or Magick for healing.  Another good piece of advice is this: Do not be afraid of whatever negative energies they may have that they are trying to rid themselves of.  In some cases, you may have to channel that negative energy into yourself to help them heal, so make sure to have a way to rid yourself of those negative energies once you are able to rid your subject of them.  Emotional healing requires a sense of empathy.  Empathy and Intuition are two of the key requirements for emotional healing, but knowledge of and command over the psionic energies will prove extremely useful for emotional healing.  Psionic energies are those of the mind, such as telepathy and kinesis, but having telepathic abilities will be extremely helpful with emotional and spiritual healing.

I'll have to say I haven't read such a crock of gobbledygook in a while. I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »

Are you TRYING to get this child to burn herself out?
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »

I have to agree with the others here otacon, very bad advise unless you are attempting to harm someone by giving misinformation.  At best you don't have a clue and should not be giving advise on matters you know nothing about.

Kari, first aid is a great thing to know ... as far as Western Medicine.  But it sounds like you're unsure of what it is you want to accomplish.  Honestly, you won't find it on the Internet even if you did know what skill set you want to develop.  You don't need to grow your own herbs for herbal healing but you do need to do a LOT of research on what herbs can and can't do.  I'd suggest you start by hitting your local library and doing some reading on herbal healing and/or crystal healing to see if either is something you're interested in.  If so, you'll need to start collecting your own reference set at home.

Edited to correct grammar ... apparently I shouldn't try typing after driving all day. :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:40:51 PM by Crystal Dragon »
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »

As a starting point, I think you need to learn about the many different types of healing there are to see which one fits you best and what specific path to start to find training in. For example, there are shamans, Reiki masters, herbalists, crystal healers (some of these overlap), Ayurvedic practitioners, and acupressurists, etc., etc.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Kari

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »

I know I'd be best at physical healing, but I really can't hit up any libraries, the ones in my area are horrible for these things, as are the book stores I know of.  I know I don't have to grow my own plants, but I'm still wary of using them, simply because plants hate me.  I do have access to information on herbs and stones, but, once again, most of it found on the Internet and therefore I have no way of knowing how accurate it is.  I had mostly wanted to use herbs for things like teas or other calming/healing things and stones as a way to focus, but, once again, I don't know how to do that.  Earthmuffin, you mentioned there are lots of paths?  Are there certain areas I should be researching specifically for physical healing?

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »

This post will give you a wonderful list of books to look into.

http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=288.0

If you cannot find any of those in a local library, you can see if they can get them in from another location (most libraries have that ability) or you may even consider ordering some for your own personal library.

We have a similar list of suggestions on crystals here...

http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=287.0

Are there certain areas I should be researching specifically for physical healing?

Again, that really depends on what it is you are wanting to do.  Going to school for some sort of nursing or doctors degree will absolutely give you the knowledge and training to help physically heal other people.  As EM stated, Reiki masters, herbalist, crystal healers, and many others can also help in physical healing as well as emotional, spiritual or even energetically.  Physical healing is a very, very broad area that can be approached from multiple different avenues.

My advice is to do some research in all of those areas and see which direction your interests fall.

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »

Fox pretty much covered what I would have said re. paths. You might try to envision yourself healing and what that would be like-- would you be using your hands giving massage, talking to clients in an office setting about their life choices and nutrition (wellness coach), chiropractic (a bit of both), being a teacher like a yoga instructor, entering an herbalist program?  Google around a bit on some of the things we've touched on and see what appeals to you.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 25 queries.