Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pagan Names  (Read 9911 times)

thegeekwitch

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Melancholy
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan with Wiccan and Druidic Leanings
  • Terri
    • Geek Witch
Pagan Names
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »

I've begun to feel a real shift away from what I've been referring to as my pagan name for probably the last few months. 

'Tahlea Moonwater' is beginning to feel nothing to me now.  I originally came up with the name because I didn't feel my real name (Terri) was very spiritual or pagany, and I love the moon, and water is my element.  This name has been my alter-ego for close to 10 years and now I'm feeling myself being drawn away from it.

I guess I kind of feel like the name is my 'past' - it represents a very amateur Pagan to me (14-15 years old), whereas I like to think I've come a bit further on my path and I'm more knowledgeable than I once was.  I think about things like people asking me questions at the start compared to how I answer those same questions now, and I have much more confidence in answering questions about my path than I did earlier on.

Has anyone else had this experience?  I'd still like to have an alternative name when it comes to my craft, but I'm not feeling or sensing that "Tahlea Moonwater" is it any more.
Blessings,
Terri xx

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: Pagan Names
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »

I've had that experience - not necessarily my "pagan name", but my dance name. I changed it last year, because it was no longer who I was. My new dance name represents who I am now, considering what my life has become, and what dance has become as a part of that life.

http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=341.msg9594#msg9594 is the journal entry where I go babbling on about it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:41:57 PM by Tirya »
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

I can see how a name chosen when one is so young might lose its appeal.  I was much older when I chose my craft name and really can't imagine changing it.  It has become a large part of my identity both within myself and in the community.  Besides, I don't think my dragon guide would care much for me changing it.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »

A change of name can reflect a change in our life experience.It is not unusual to change one's name if one has outgrown it. I couldn't imagine changing mine, but you never know.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »

In my experience, you may have many "pagan" names given to you over the years. Expecially as you tend to grow spiritually

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

thegeekwitch

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Melancholy
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan with Wiccan and Druidic Leanings
  • Terri
    • Geek Witch
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:52 AM »

How did everyone else come about finding their names?  I'm really interested - I know that meditation and connection with the gods and goddesses might help with that name, but to be completely honest I rarely have time for that kind of thing (let alone the QUIET time to be able to just sit down and try).
Blessings,
Terri xx

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »

Honestly, I was given all of my craft names during mediations. My online or public names are ones I've chosen and they are different then my magical name given to me which is only used in coven

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

I'm Welsh...partly, anyhow, and it just felt right.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »

I meditated on mine and it made sense because of a lot of things.  At the time, I didn't realize the real significance of the "dragon" though.  Several years later, some experienced people in a coven situation challenged my choice and they told me that a name containing Deity or magical beings can be somewhat challenging at times.  They were correct but I declined to change my name - it is part of who I am now.  I participated in a naming ceremony and dedication this past weekend. I have been thinking that I might need to do something similar very soon. 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

That was a beautiful and powerful ceremony. The birds were heralding as we departed the meditation circle and followed all the way back to the sacred fire.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

WhitePhoenix

• Apprentice
[deleted]
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 03:29:46 AM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:43:22 PM by WhitePhoenix »

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »

Kitiara is actually my real first name. My dad got it out of a Dragon Lance novel, and I've always felt it sounded quite witchy, so I've kept it.

Which is funny since she (the Kitiara in the book) had a lot of disdain for spell chuckers.  :D

“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 24 queries.