Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Be careful with your actions...  (Read 8061 times)

VisionFromAfar

• Vanquiser of Foolishness
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood: :raven:
  • Spiritual Path: Under construction.
Be careful with your actions...
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »

So, Monday I had the most unlucky day ever, and it was all my own fault...

Early Monday morning, I'm getting LilV ready for school/day care (we call it school to get him used to the word), and he spotted his soda from the previous night when we ate out. It's mostly watered-down Sprite, but I figured it wouldn't kill him, and I could avoid the "MINE!!" fight that would ensue should I attempt to take it from him. So he drinks about half on our way to the car, but doesn't want the rest, so I toss the rest of the liquid and throw the cup in the trash can. Then the fun began.

I showed up at day care, and LilV is out of diapers, so I have to run to Wal-Mart (ugh) and buy some more, eating an hour out of my already-late morning. I get to work finally and nothing's behaving. The files that all of my co-workers can see and use on the server aren't showing up for me, no matter what I do (it took me most of the morning to figure out that was even the problem), meaning I can't do my work. I finally manage to get them to show, and then another never-before-seen error appears. During the cycle of fix-save-restart, I manage to fat-finger my server password too many times, locking me out. Well, it was Columbus Day, and with me being a Gov't contractor, the Gov't muckety-mucks who could unlock it are, in fact, on holiday.  :hairpull: It's only 3, but I said, "Screw it," and left work. On my way home, I thought I'd be nice to MrsV and LilV and pick up some gormet cupcakes, since I had a coupon. The lady in front of me, "Just wanted to order 36 for a party next week." They do that all the time, no worries. Then she said, "Oh, what the heck. Give me two right now...Chocolate Lightning and Carrot Cake." Now, I am a Carrot Cake fiend. I blame my mother for this, but it's the one desert I will pretty much always be willing to eat...and this lady just bought the last one. I just had to sigh, what else was I going to do? So I ordered four, getting two chocolate for Mrs and Lil, a plain for m'self, and a pumpkin spice for MrsV, since the coupon needed four to work.
As I pulled in the driveway, the mental layout of my morning actions snapped into focus. I had tossed the backwash-filled, left-over kid's drink directly into the circle where I made offerings to the local land wights.  :omg: :omg: :omg:
I rushed into the house and grabbed the last of our good cooking burbon, lacking any ale I could be positive wasn't bad, and raced back outside and made a, "Holy-crap-I'm-not-worthy-please-please-please-forgive-me!" offering with as much reverance as I could muster.

Things have turned around, and I'm back to plain old up-and-down luck, but there was one huge confirmation that I did the right thing by apologizing. MrsV was digging in to her pumpkin spice cupcake after berating me for being such an idiot (I needed to explain why I needed to offer her good burbon, after all), she noticed the flavor was a bit off. I gotta say, that was the oddest-tasting pumpkin spice cupcake I'd ever had. Tasted just like carrot cake in fact... :groovin:
A man listens thus he learns. - Havamal

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Zlat

• Apprentice
Re: Be careful with your actions...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

that was the oddest-tasting pumpkin spice cupcake I'd ever had. Tasted just like carrot cake in fact..
:rotflmao:

Don't piss off the Wights man... Maybe you should give them good bourbon every day, drunk Wights are happy Wights?

And I hear you on absentee technical support people, had my share of those too at my former position.. took me 3 months to get my account up and working properly.

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »

:laughfit:
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »

Forgive me for asking but I need to know what a wight is...Wikipedia's description doesn't seem right to me.

Regardless it seems like quite a day!

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »

Forgive me for asking but I need to know what a wight is...Wikipedia's description doesn't seem right to me.

Regardless it seems like quite a day!

The English word is cognate with other Germanic words like Dutch wicht, German Wicht, Old Norse vættir, Swedish vätte, Danish vætte. Modern High German Wicht means 'small person, dwarf,' and also 'unpleasant person,' while in Low German the word means 'girl.' The Wicht, Wichtel or Wichtelchen of Germanic folklore is most commonly translated into English as an imp, a small, shy character who often does helpful domestic chores when nobody is looking (as in the Tale of the Cobbler's Shoes). These terms are not related to the English word witch. In Scandinavian folklore, too, wights are elusive creatures not unlike elves, capable of mischief as well as of help.

Sounds about right to me. Thanks to JRR Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons, we often think of the wight as undead critters that are out to eat our D&D Characters to death.

A wight as described above is just another example of the local Fay in a given area. Gnomes, Elves, Fairies, Brownies (something we have aplenty in our house) and wights are largely the same thing. Small intelligent creatures who are willing to help people who honor them, ignore people who ignore them and to punish those who are not nice to them or to others.

At least it was only a half-flat Sprite. I've a tale of what happens when you pour skunky, nasty garbage water on a Dragon Spirit. http://www.paganjourneys.com/index.php?topic=257.0
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:08:09 AM »

Huh, okay! Thanks for clearing that up for me :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.