Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spirit Boards  (Read 11940 times)

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
Spirit Boards
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »

One topic that almost always comes up on Pagan and Wiccan forums is that of spirit boards.  Now don't get me wrong, I have used spirit boards (heck I even own one) but because I've used them, I know how dangerous they can be.

The Ouija may have originally been designed as a game, but make no mistake, these tools are capable of opening doors you'd rather not have opened.  My first use of a spirit board (when I was about 20) wasn't horrendous, but I ended up with a curious entity following me around for a few weeks ... really freaked me out.

The problem with spirit boards is that you don't know who or what you'll end up dealing with, and if it's particularly nasty and you aren't experienced enough to know how to get rid of it, it can end badly.  I assisted my daughter with her one attempt at using a board and it was enough to convince her she never wants to use one again ... she did attract a nasty bugger somehow and was very relieved I was there to help her get rid of it.

If you insist on using a spirit board, my #1 suggestion is to find someone who's had some experience with them and work with that person.  If you can't find anyone who knows how to use a spirit board safely, your options are limited to finding someone to train you in how to deal with some of the nastys that can come through or leave them be. To use a board without being thoroughly prepared is like playing with fire IMHO.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
Re: Spirit Boards
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »

The original use, and the reason for their popularity, was flirting. Remember that we are talking about a pretty rigid society at the time- and this game had your fingertips touching on the planchet, and you had no responsibility for what was being spelled out- so you could flirt quite literally shamelessly. I don't know how or when spirits first realized they, too, could use the board.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:39:11 PM »

I didn't know that ... thanks for the interesting tidbit.  :D
Albert Einstein

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:04:31 AM »

If one can't find help in learning to properly use one of these spirit boards, and still wants to experiment, it still can be done and done safely.

But one would have to make certain that they are well brushed up on wards, shieldings, and banishments for when (not if) something comes through. If you're going to open that door, at least know how to chuck their butts back through and slam the door on them.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »

Excellent advice Mongo.

I used to play with spirit boards and we opened up some nasty crap when we were younger.  Was not fun and it took along time to get rid of.  I was not pagan at the time but my friends mom was.  Oh she was furious with us!!!

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:50:20 PM »

I was listening to an interesting discussion on spirit boards some years ago. If the people using the board view it as "a game" then that's likely what they're going to attract - entitites that are looking to "play". But their definition of "play" is different than ours...
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »

Very, very true.  :crazylaugh:
Albert Einstein

Mongo

• Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 06:47:07 AM »

It's all part and parcel with a problem that many young people and new people sometimes have. A lack of visualization. This is a problem they have in spell casting as well as spirit boards as well.

They don't visualize in their mind (or at least have a clear concept) what they want to achieve and thus toss out the line with the spirit board or just cast random spells out into the ether and hope for the best.

And as we all know, magic doesn't work well left to its own devices without guidance. You need to define what you are trying to achieve otherwise anything can happen for good or for ill.

Many people with spirit boards for the first time either try to contact "anything" and thus letting anything in, or they try and contact the only dead relative they know of...which when you're young, you might know of recently dead uncle Henry, but if you don't really know him well enough to visualize him or his spirit you cannot be sure of whom you're really contacting.

Things out there can read your mind when you're opening yourself and can easily play "Uncle Henry" if you don't really know him.

And this is where people get into trouble.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Banrion_Lile

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:21:05 PM »

I see spirit boards as another tool of divination. Which, I'm personal not big on. I do from time to time use my Ogham Sticks and own a deck of tarot cards and a scrying mirror, but in all honesty I don't use any of them as much as I thought I would when purchasing or making those those tools. I think generally I know the answers to my questions deep down if I'm honest with myself, but from time to time, these methods of divination to help assist me in focusing and coming to a conclusion.

With any type of divination it is important to be cautious and if your involving any type of spirit or entity it, I feel it should be done in the safety of a Circle.

anubisa

• Journeyman
  • Mood: okay
  • Spiritual Path: Egyptian Wiccan
  • Egyptian Wiccan
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »

I agree with you CD. When my sister and I were young, we had a ouija, and we did have an experience with it once, after that I never used it again. When I was young I was stupid, I thought it was fun, but now I realize the power of the spirit boards and I don't want to be responsible for bringing anything negative in my house.
Anubisa
One day you will face him and he will weigh your soul. Only then will you see yourself for what you truly are.

Mongo

• Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:45:39 AM »

When I was young I was stupid, I thought it was fun, but now I realize the power of the spirit boards and I don't want to be responsible for bringing anything negative in my house.

The real trick however is not to fear the spirit board. In many ways it's like a gun. In untrained hands it is something very dangerous. However, properly trained in its use and trained out of the fear of it, the wielder of the gun can earn money for his family (I used to make some nice extra money every month by competing in 1,000 yard bench competitions), can feed his family (hunting), and in extreme cases defend it.

A spirit board is very similar in respect to the dangers of the untrained use of a gun. Untrained, one can open doorways and let things in that aren't supposed to be here. But shown due respect and operated with proper training and caution, a spirit board can be used as a very potent form of divination.

I cannot use a spirit board. Not because I don't know how to, not because I don't have the ability to ward and shield, not because I don't have the ability to confront various nasties and toss their butts back through the doorway...simply because I do not have a talent for divination.

Another analogy is something I am good at. I'm an avid ghost hunter. This means that for some daft reason, I go looking for trouble. Frequently find it too. If I were just someone who does it because it sounds fun to to traipsing through a cemetery at midnight, then it is again like a the untrained doinking around with a spirit board. One could dredge up some rather unsavory and irritated spirits.

However I learned what I need to do to keep things active but calm. I know how to go through hotspots and get my images and readings...without honking off the locals (both spiritual and mundane). I also know what to do should I run across something that's not happy.

In short, I do not fear the activity, I respect the activity and am prepared for what may come of it.

6 years hunting and all my party has come away with is some soap in the mouth...must be doing something right  :D

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »

I do love the art work on some of the upscale boards that you can find. I use one as a extension of my own psychic awareness but not to contact spirits. I will run my hand over it and try to get a feel for the answer, since my hands are very sensitive to impressions. ( As in all things spiritual if a hardcore rationalist stumbles upon these boards just substitute delusional for words like psychic, spirits, God and ect, it will make you sleep better at night.) A pendulum seems to work well upon them for this purpose also. I don't feel any need to call spirits with a spirit board since they are around us all the time. If anything since some entities are not truthful, I would distrust those that I would contact with a board in the traditional manner.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:57:11 AM by vordan »
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.