Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attracting Nasty Critters  (Read 9850 times)

Tinevisce

• Apprentice
  • Mood: excited
  • Spiritual Path: Hindu Shaktite, with Eclectic Occult Influences
  • As above, so below
Attracting Nasty Critters
« on: September 18, 2014, 05:07:37 AM »

In your personal experience, how often does energy work (regardless of what exact paradigm you're operating under :)) attract critters (I'm leaving the question general, so it could be either nasty or nice) without you explicitly invoking them?

I'm no better than an absolute newbie in many ways, but I've done conscious energy work on and off since at least 2006 (a blessing here, a shield spell there. I think the first proper spell I ever cast was a banishing done to do away with bad habits.), and I've never had any experiences of anything showing up uninvited. Well, except for one memorable episode where I freaked out for a half hour and was simply crippled by fear of one room in my house. Given how it only lasted for 30 odd minutes and never came back, it might just have been my subconscious warning me to not entangle myself into something potentially dangerous.  :whistle:

I have, however, often come across warnings from several quarters here that spell work can sometimes attract benign or malevolent entities. So, is there a pattern to the experiences- as in, they tend to show up after major rituals that involve calling down a deity; or is there no (discernible) method to the madness?
"Better not to send at all,
Then to pledge overmuch"

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
Re: Attracting Nasty Critters
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 05:41:56 AM »

Yes, many things are attracted by workings of all kinds. This is why I do not teach raising energy in every ritual or esbat, but only if there's a productive use planned- raising energy is like raising crops; if you don't harvest it, all kinds of critters will come and party in the corn.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Tinevisce

• Apprentice
  • As above, so below
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:52:28 AM »

So, basically, it's like...if I raise energy and let it fester without sending it out to a goal- that's when the problem starts? Would usual shielding/warding techniques act as sufficient safeguards?
Then to pledge overmuch"

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

You can shield or ward, sure- but you've still made what lawyers call "an attractive nuisance". Suppose you're out camping and make big tubs of popcorn. Raccoons, squirrels, Pan knows what else will come around sniffing the air. You can "ward" the popcorn behind netting, but all that will accomplish is getting you surrounded by big brown eyes trying to convince they haven't eaten since 1947. (Yes, the raccoons around here play the cute card HARD) They won't leave til the popcorn is gone. That will be the lesser spirits, landvaettir, whatever you want to call them. Higher powers may have other reactions. So either deliberately create a tribute for politeness' sake, acknowledge and give a nod to the wights, or don't create the attractive nuisance.

peace,
ES

Tinevisce

• Apprentice
  • As above, so below
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »

Thank you, ES. Does this tribute need to be formal; or does a simple a candle/incense dedicated to them work? Also, what about malevolent entities- or is that term just too simplistic?
Then to pledge overmuch"

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »

ES, I get what you're saying but I'd like to get some clarification ... are you speaking only about raising energy during ritual or spell work?

The reason I'm asking is because I use energy all the time.  I am not raising energy like is done during ritual or spell work and merely working with energy does not attract the attention of anything I'd consider "nasty". 

I do notice that I attract a lot of creatures, some that I've never met before.  (we have fae, dragons, and other creatures that like to hang out here at home)  Once when I was walking between buildings at work I noticed that a particular tree seemed to attract fae-like creatures and something that felt like a small griffin flew over and landed on my shoulder.  He was a little miffed that I shied away but after I explained that he surprised me, he agreed he could have given me some sort of warning.  :rolleye:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

Tinevice- that kind of recognition goes a long way, yes. Respect is inexpensive and pays dividends- that works with people, too. I wouldn't worry as much about malevolent things as regular things getting peeved... the truly malevolent are also truly rare, and usually have to be sought out; they are almost never found by accident. Well, at least not by sane or normal people who don't walk around under a cloud, and go to places of bad atmosphere. We simply don't hang in the same places. Like the Joker said in the first Batman movie- they shouldn't be here, they'd be happier somewhere else. :)

Crystal- well spotted- NOT just during ritual or intentional spell work. Under any circumstances, we humans tend to get at least a passing glance from any kami present. But those of us who practice anything related to their world get a lot of attention, and being sensitive to the attention, and willing to take a moment to pay respects is always appreciated. Just like you'd smile or nod at any passing stranger, making some similar appropriate gesture when you feel their presence is the smart things to do. In a place I've never been before, especially a natural site that feels sacred, I'll preemptively do or say something to acknowledge that I'm a stranger in a strange land, and respect those who have passed before.  A libation, or a bow to a tree or the compass points, these things cost little and go far.

peace,
ES

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »

Ah ... that's clearer.  Thanks.  :)

I supposed I'd have to say then, that I don't get hassled much because I tend to show respect and speak with them (though not always out loud ... doesn't do to have coworkers thinking we're more nuts than they already suspect!).  Even the harsher entities I've come across seem to accept that we humans have our own way of needing to do things, though I have gotten an impression of impatience at times.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Tinevisce

• Apprentice
  • As above, so below
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »

@ES
Thank you for allaying my primary fear- what I was afraid of is that I might be stirring up the truly malevolent types without actually trying to do anything with them.
How exactly do you 'specify' the offering to any such entities present- do you leave it generic, or is there something specific you'd recommend I use?
Then to pledge overmuch"

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »

You can do a generic "to any present", if you're not feeling a specific call to take notice of. Many Asatru bloats end with a release of any wights that may have been inadvertently trapped by their hallowing, and many different paths share "cakes & ale" with any present by returning it to the Earth at the end of the ritual. If none were present, well, you've just made friends with the raccoons, too! When heading to new territory, I will often take something with me as an offering. If I have food and water, then libation. Or it might be incense ash- I save the ash from incense burned during rituals and spells, and use it for other spells- or in this case, as a fragrant tribute to cast to the compass points, or to a natural feature that is obviously inhabited.

In your own yard, you can install a Kamidana or a spirit house or arch; if there's a well or spring you might make a clootie tree. You can also put a shrine or lararium of some kind in your house to be the focus of attention.Nothing need be elaborate; it's the respect and good will that matter.

peace,
ES

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.