Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reiki  (Read 22801 times)

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
Re: Reiki
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »

I don't think it's that intense.  There are a number of reasons I don't call what I practice Wicca ... one of them was due to the attitudes you've mentioned.  But that's for another thread.

The issue as I see it is that there are a lot of people who think that just directing energy at someone, they are practicing Reiki.  And while I would still assert that Reiki cannot be taught, I certainly can't discount that one could be spontaneously attuned by the Divine ... it's happened at least once, right? ;)

But if you run into someone who claims to have learned Reiki from a book, there is cause for suspicion and caution.  My understanding is that the attunement process sort of "unlocks" something within the "student"/practitioner allowing them to be effective at detecting the energy flows and assisting with removing blockages and maintaining a "healthy" flow of that energy.

Are there folks who are "naturals"?  Probably, but I've not met any.  Could they benefit from an attunement by a Master?  Most likely.  Can anybody learn this from a book?  Reiki practitioners say no, I don't believe so, and I've not seen anything in this thread to suggest otherwise.

My concern is not with those who've been attuned practicing in a manner different from what Dr. Usui originally set up ... it is with those who have never felt what Reiki is, have picked up one or two books that claim to teach Reiki, and who then run around "practicing" on everyone they know without regard for any potential damage that might be done.

For me, this is more in line with the young girls who want to practice witchcraft and start spellcasting without understanding the ethics and logic behind it.  You can do damage to yourself or others without intending to if you don't understand what it is you are messing with. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

LadyOrchid

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Eccentric Pagan
    • Witch amid the Shamrock
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 05:46:40 AM »

I received attunement from my Reiki Master. Level 1 obviously first- was the awakening and the feelings received were uplifting- then just over a year later level 2- my second attunement raised up issues from my past and I became very emotional and quite unpredictable for many months- I couldn't really practise, certainly not on others whilst I was using self treatment to rebalance myself. Eventually my own balance returned and amazingly colours- were magical, my sense of smell extraordinary and my change in compassion for fellow people, plants animals shifted dramatically. It was nearly 3 years before I and my master felt ready for me to take the next step and become a Master/Teacher.
My Son and my Husband both practise- what they call spiritual healing- hands on . Bradley feels tingling in his hands- which the person then feels as warmth and tingling over the area.
Noel closes his eyes and sees Bright blue light between his hands and the area being worked on- he also has images or words said to him from his spirit guide- who is a 10 foot Masai Warrior.
What you give is What you get returned

PaganOne

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Atheist Pagan Witch
  • Reiki Master/Aromatherapist
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »

From what I understand, Reiki I is more for physical healing and to get a person used to flowing energy.  Reiki II gives access to spiritual healing and various Reiki symbols. 

It wasn't till I was attuned to level II that I became aware of the spirits of plants and trees.  There is a lot of self work to be done at level II, and I have not disciplined myself to the task as well as I need to.  I have, however, accomplished much in the way of letting go of past trauma and resentments.

While I cannot feel the Reiki flow through me (neither can the Reiki Master who first attuned me), the few people I treat can often feel heat from my hands or tell me they feel "something different" when I pass my hands over them.  I am very good at making energy balls.  I once had a nun burst into tears when I gifted an energy ball to her.  She kept crying saying, "It's real.  It's real."  I can't feel energy balls myself.  :gaah:

An internet friend of mine achieved level III attunement a few years ago and asked if she could send me Reiki.  She sent everyday for a week.  By the third day, I had a healing crisis so bad that I couldn't get out of bed, much less raise my head off the pillow.  Thank goodness my husband was home to care for our three dogs.  People don't often realize how powerful Reiki can be.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:27:20 PM by PaganOne »
True happiness is fidelity to a working purpose. ~ Hellen Keller

PaganOne

• Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »

@Crystal Dragon: I understand what you mean by saying Reiki cannot be learned from a book, but I am curious as to what books have you run across that say this is possible?

Just to clarify... Brett Bevell's book on self-attunement is very misleading in its title.  Reiki Master Bevell has placed attunements outside of time and space (Reiki bubbles) where those who desire to be attuned can tap into these attunements when they are ready to receive the attunement.  This is no different than when a Reiki practitioner sends distance Reiki that is programmed to arrive at a specific time or place or when the recipient is ready to receive the treatment.  Bevell always gives credit to the Divine saying that attunements flow from the Divine through the Reiki Master (or the Reiki Bubble in this case) to the student.

Certainly a lot about symbols and ways to use Reiki can be learned from books.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:40:23 PM by PaganOne »

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »

I don't have time today to go find and list them ... but there are over 150 listed on Amazon alone and I'm sure there are more.  I'm sure there are some good books out there, but I know there are also bad ones ... this is the case on any subject one could toss out.  Besides, the books themselves aren't what gives me pause ... it's the fact that there are a lot of people in this world who will use any buzz words or gimmick they can to try and make money.  People who have just "heard" about something but don't know what it is are potentially susceptible to be taken in by false claims and it is for that reason I brought it up in the first place, so that people will educate themselves a little before deciding on whom should "treat" them. ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

PaganOne

• Apprentice
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »

Understood.  Thank you. 

I feel quite the same way about essential oils.  There are many misinformed people out there using and selling essential oil products.  In all fairness, it is hard to know who to believe and who not to when there are so many websites and books out there on aromatherapy.  It takes time, patience, and sometimes years of research and experience to learn what essential oils to use and why, how to use them, and what suppliers to trust.

Sorry to go off topic.  :D

PaganOne

• Apprentice
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »

I just searched Amazon and read the descriptions and reviews of the first six Reiki books listed.  Not one of them said an attunement wasn't necessary.  It is my opinion that most Reiki books are designed to offer information on what Reiki is and/or instruct the attuned practioner further along the way in their Reiki practice.

Brett Bevell's two Reiki books and Christopher Penczak's Magick of Reiki (which I own) make it perfectly clear that an attunement from a Reiki Master is needed, while also offering a wide variety of suggestion as to the uses of Reiki, instruction on commonly used Reiki symbols, and offer new Reiki symbols channeled by the authors and others.  A Reiki attunement doesn't automatically gift the practitioner with knowledge of Reiki symbols or their use or in the use of Reiki hand positions or other uses of Reiki.  I find my Reiki books to be invaluable.

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 01:05:16 AM »

Are there folks who are "naturals"?  Probably, but I've not met any.  Could they benefit from an attunement by a Master?  Most likely.  Can anybody learn this from a book?  Reiki practitioners say no, I don't believe so, and I've not seen anything in this thread to suggest otherwise.

Actually, there are people who are naturals. They are naturals at directing and manipulating energy in non-reiki related ways. This was me before I met Master Blacston.

Before I met him, I was...ok...at directing energy at muscle injuries to help unkink knots and the like. Not great, but good enough that people came back to me time and again.

It was at an SCA event where Master Blacston walked past me and saw/felt what I was doing. He said that I had a talent that could potentially be directed and refined if I wanted to learn Reiki.

I said that I did and thus I was taught and awakened. Afterwards I learned that what I was doing before was the energy version of working a knotted muscle with massager wand. Not all that great, but slightly more beneficial than just the physical manipulations.

Afterwards, I was able to do more...much more.

And it is possible to learn from the books, but you can not do it from just the books alone. The really good books or websites out there tell you that these are only exercises that you can do before you get attuned, or things you can to do to strengthen and improve your skills at your level. They cannot raise you to the next level, but they can guide you at your levels.

The dodgy books out there are the ones that say "You can learn all that you need to know by reading this book."

Those are the books that are either teaching you another (and equally valid) form of healing, or are like all the books that teach some of the higher-level networking protocols and certifications without you having to ever touch a computer.
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 23 queries.