Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: has anyone heard of "Black Magic Martial Arts?" by Joseph Varner?  (Read 8345 times)

johnrivers

• Validating
has anyone heard of "Black Magic Martial Arts?" by Joseph Varner?
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:30:44 PM »

i found this book and i am kind of new to magic but it seems to be really good. im not sure what to think about it can anyone give me a review of it? here is a link if your enterested.

[link deleted by staff]

Post edited to remove link.  Member encouraged to review TOS

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:41:40 PM by Crystal Dragon »

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: has anyone heard of "Black Magic Martial Arts?" by Joseph Varner?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:36:47 PM »

I had never heard of it, so I downloaded it to take a look at it. I have to admit that the spelling errors really detract from the reading, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.

The fact that it seems to go right into the various harmful ways to use a poppet is, to me, a red flag, but then my magical philosophy is much closer to the "An it harm none" side of things than the "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" side.

Beyond that, it is pretty much a compliation of information that can be found elsewhere, and isn't as "fluffy" as I was afraid it was going to be based on the title. I didn't read the whole thing in depth, but what I did read rang in concert with what I already knew or had read elsewhere. So in that regard, there is some useful information for the beginner.

That being said - it is not something I would recommend for beginners. Why? Because IMHO "offensive magic" is not for beginners. I have a problem with turning a beginner loose with the magical equivalent of a loaded gun. :)

If the book and its topics appeal to you, you may want to do a gut-check with yourself and ask why - what draws you to it, what is it that makes you think "it seems to be really good". If it's because the idea of cursing and torturing someone magically is appealing, then it may be that you should be looking beyond magic to address the root of that desire.

Dunno if that makes sense or not. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:51:32 PM by Tirya »
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »

You have to explore where your journey takes you. A good martial arts instructer and a good teacher in magic would tell you the same thing that what they teach is not to be abused.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »

There was a movies in which the villain had a switchblade concealed in a statue of the Virgin Mary. My opinion? It made a mockery of the religion and an ineffective weapon.

You can use magic to make yourself a smarter, wiser, more alert person, more attuned to your surroundings. This would make you more successful in all aspects of life, including martial arts, should you decide to pursue them. But using magic as a martial art? that's a perversion of both, to the detriment of both. And the less fluffy the approach, in this instance, the worse it is, not better.

When you've grown beyond wanting aw3som3 pow3rz, I'd be happy to discuss the uses of magic.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »

When you've grown beyond wanting aw3som3 pow3rz, I'd be happy to discuss the uses of magic.

Agreed. Very well spoken.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:37:13 AM by Green Seeker »
"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.