Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone looking forward to Samhain?  (Read 9531 times)

DragonsFriend

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Arratu, evolved from the Sumerian myths & practice
Is anyone looking forward to Samhain?
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:36:15 AM »

I don't call it that but it is a very similar evening. We call it ancestor's eve. It is a time to commune with those passed. It is a joyous time because we can spend time with our loved ones who we can't hug or speak with like we did. We get to know the spirits of people and how wonderful they are even though they were not perfect while they were on earth.
A mature witch's life should reflect the balance of the universe

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
Re: Is anyone looking forward to Samhain?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »

Possibly because I know so little about my ancestors, I look to both cross-quarters to commune with those unseen, rather than only those passed. As an animist, I'm attuned to the tutelary beings anyway; the thinning of the barriers makes it a joyous time with them all. They are family and ancestors, too- yes, of us all, but I feel it personally at these times.

peace,
ES

This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Athena

• Pagan Women
  • Mood: Observant
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic, Nature Worshiping
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:31:01 AM »

The religion my parents follow has a similar tradition to respect the ancestors. Strangely, I never paid much attention to it till I started practicing.

That being said, I will be travelling on the day -- shifting to a new city. With the big move, I don't think any celebration or ritual will be possible.
A work in progress

DragonsFriend

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Arratu, evolved from the Sumerian myths & practice
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »

It is funny because I have never been interested in the ancestors I have not known even though my wife is constantly finding more and more in her search of past family. I found out that I had relatives that fought in every US war since the revolutionary war. History and religion have been interests of mine but never personal history.
Yet Ancestor's Eve has always been a favorite holy day for me.
A mature witch's life should reflect the balance of the universe

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »

I know this may be strange, but Samhain is not a festival I have typically looked forward to.  Most years, it seemed as if the spirits were clamoring and the noise was frightening.  I have also experienced a crushing heaviness at this time.  This is the first time in several years that I have not perceived the thinning of the veil with some foreboding. I think this is due to several changes in how I perceive things and better grounding on my part.  Over the past year, I have become more immersed in the agricultural cycle and feel much more grounded as a result.  We maintain a permanent ancestor altar in our home and I am also active in genealogy research.  Both these activities help me connect to my ancestors on a regular basis which is a much less overwhelming proposition for me.

We had our first frost this morning which likely has ended the harvest from our garden.  I harvested okra, peppers, and several good bunches of herbs yesterday in anticipation of the frost.  Since the harvest is now done and we feasted the family last weekend, I think that GW and I will celebrate Álfablót privately in the coming week.  We shall see where the spirit leads for Samhain :crystalball: a nice quiet evening looks divine to me.     

Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.