Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meetings and Such  (Read 11551 times)

Batman1984

• Apprentice
  • Mood: It's a bright new day to be alive.
  • Spiritual Path: A mix of the Celtic and Norse Pantheons.
Meetings and Such
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Let me first start off by saying I am a hands on learner on a budget. The area that I am in, well I get some wild looks from folks looking at the fact that I know have a pentagram on my left calf. Guessing that most people in the area of Fort Campbell, KY are more quite about their practice. So I am trying to find out if anyone knows of any groups or gatherings that are a regular occurance in the area. I would like to find a person, or group of people that I could learn with as I am not the best with just reading things, having that personal explanation in person helps me out so much. I have a friend back in SC that is willing to assist, and so far, she is doing good via Facebook, but she is 6 hours away, and the Army is not quick to say it is ok for me to drive sic hours on regular two day weekend. So if anyone has any ideas, they are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Respectfully,
Phillip

"A good father grows to be like one of those giant trees in a nature film, they nourish, protect and give shelter to that which surrounds them." - Vordan

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: Meetings and Such
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »

I am surprised there aren't any groups at Fort Campbell.  I checked on meetup.com and there is an herb group that does herb walks, etc.  I bet if you went to that you might find someone with a like mind.  Or you could try one of the groups in Nashville.  There are some metaphysical shops there and they have Pagan Pride Day (10-13-2012) too which is a great way to find local Pagans.  Or you could try to attend one of the Pagan festivals that are held around there.  Pagan Unity Festival is held in Middle Tennessee but it was in May so you would have to wait till next year. 

Here's a link to some stuff.  Don't know how current it is but there is a lot of information there.
http://blessedbe.sugarbane.com/links.htm
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »

Have you checked Witchvox?
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »

I don't know how comfortable you are in talking to your Chaplain, but they or their assistant(s) should have information on services available to you as well.

Batman1984

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »

I haven't tried witchvox, but I will. Thanks Crystal Dragon. And the Chaplain and his assiatant know I pagan. They both seem fine with it, and the assistant said there is a small Wiccan group on base, 4-5 people, but they don't meet often. I had forgot about that until you mentioned it, thanks FairyQueen. You guys are the best.
Respectfully,
Phillip

"A good father grows to be like one of those giant trees in a nature film, they nourish, protect and give shelter to that which surrounds them." - Vordan

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »

You're welcome!  :squeezes:

rainshadow

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:39 AM »

We are at Fort Carson and they have a regularly scheduled pagan meeting on Sundays at 2 at the base chapel... are there any resources you could utilize like that? I used Meetup.com to find some groups around here, but Colorado Springs has a pretty large pagan community, and when we were stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, they also had a pagan community, it wasn't nearly as big, and they didn't do anything on base for pagans, but they did have some small out-of-the-way places to go to that you would miss if you weren't paying attention.
I cannot wait for a saviour, my angel is long gone
-Lacuna Coil
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Batman1984

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »

Talked to the Assistant today, he is getting me the contact info for the on base Wicca group. And I am also checking out WitchVox. Site has a lot of information. And I also found a shop down in Nashville. No offense to the web-based stores, I just like being able to meet face to face with people, it's something the computer can't allow allow you to do. Plus, a person in a store is normally better able to recommend something based off your thoughts, and your body language. Many things I am finding, and I am feeling good about today.
Respectfully,
Phillip

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »

I'm glad you talked to the chaplain's assistant. There is a large misconception that the chaplain is only there for those of Christian faith, but as I found out first hand with my husband's chaplain, that just isn't the case. They are a pot filled with knowledge, even if they themselves don't believe what you do. You might also ask if they have money in the budget to get you a few books on your faith - in this economy it is even hard for the military but still, you might get lucky!

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »

No offense to the web-based stores, I just like being able to meet face to face with people, it's something the computer can't allow allow you to do. Plus, a person in a store is normally better able to recommend something based off your thoughts, and your body language.

I have to put in my 2 cents as an online business owner.  While I do agree to some extent with the face to face thing, I think it also really depends on what it is you are looking for in general.  The comment that someone is better able to recommend something based on thoughts and body language is completely not true in my experience.  I have been able to create some really remarkable pieces just through communicating via email and, in some cases, phone calls.  In all honesty, I've shocked myself with the connection some of my clients have made with the pieces I have created for them.  You do not need to physically be in another person's presence to be able to generate a level of personal connection.  That applies to all kinds of things and not just businesses.  I have some pretty spectacularly close relationships with people that I've never met face to face or even spoken to on the phone.  Yes, that isn't always the case, but it absolutely is possible.  Don't discount the value of online connections.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Batman1984

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »

The great thing about chaplains assistants are that they are non denominational in nature and.can.work for a.chaplain of any faith. I don't discount online connections, without it, I wouldn't have these wonderful conversations with you all, much less learn about the things I have thus far. Different strokes for.different folks i guess. I just prefer interacrion with people over computers. Thats all.
Respectfully,
Phillip

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »

I have to put in my 2 cents as an online business owner.  While I do agree to some extent with the face to face thing, I think it also really depends on what it is you are looking for in general.  The comment that someone is better able to recommend something based on thoughts and body language is completely not true in my experience.  I have been able to create some really remarkable pieces just through communicating via email and, in some cases, phone calls.  In all honesty, I've shocked myself with the connection some of my clients have made with the pieces I have created for them. You do not need to physically be in another person's presence to be able to generate a level of personal connection.  That applies to all kinds of things and not just businesses.  I have some pretty spectacularly close relationships with people that I've never met face to face or even spoken to on the phone.  Yes, that isn't always the case, but it absolutely is possible.  Don't discount the value of online connections.
Having been a very satisfied customer,  I can vouch for this.  :D
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

daughterofhathor

• Validating
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

Were u ever able to find anyone up there Phillip? and I promise If I ever get my license which you and I both know is a unlikely scenario but anything is possible You're my first trip Promise. And since you gotta come back to SC sometime (especially since I'm putting the blue in my hair) we can do whatever u want pagan wise promise! But me and H were talking and wondering if we could skype a circle or meeting or something would that work does anyone think?

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »

Participating in online rituals can be very powerful and rewarding.  I think it is a great idea.  :D
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Batman1984

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

Sounds like a plan. There are a few people around, but not really anyone that seems to practice openly around here. As my Chaplain put it, we are in the Bible Thumping Bible Belt. I get comments about my pentagram tattoo around here. I love the looks on people's faces when they get taught the meanings of symbols and some of its history. Its a good feeling.
Respectfully,
Phillip

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.