Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Discussion For Clarity  (Read 9254 times)

Rovay

• ***Suspended Account***
  • Spiritual Path: Dualism, Shamanism
  • Rusted from the rain
A Discussion For Clarity
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:04:55 AM »

Eh, too bad you aren't in my country. I do believe I can deal with psychopaths like such by talking to them. And if not, well, there is one sure method to defeat a psychopath - carry more sharp things than he does.

I hope you got over those things. I am sure you will find someone much better for yourself.
Eer aan die gode en hul oordeel.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.
Those that are best with the blades rarely let them leave the sheaths.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
Re: A Discussion For Clarity
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »

Eh, too bad you aren't in my country. I do believe I can deal with psychopaths like such by talking to them. And if not, well, there is one sure method to defeat a psychopath - carry more sharp things than he does.

Really?  Mental health professionals have been trying to treat psychopaths for years and all they really need to do is send them to you?
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »

Really?  Mental health professionals have been trying to treat psychopaths for years and all they really need to do is send them to you?

Yeah, that is the problem - it is hard to know which sociopath is reliable enough to be counted on with such task, because most of them turn into psychopaths. It's really controversial medicine, I really can't blame all the doctors for not wanting to risk it.

I'm giggling here.
I am the type of person who could tear you into pieces just to be the one to sew you back together.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »

I'm giggling that you think you can "talk" to psychopaths/sociopaths. Maybe you should apply to the FBI and become a profiler, they could use your expertise.  :whistle:

"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »

I'm giggling that you think you can "talk" to psychopaths/sociopaths. Maybe you should apply to the FBI and become a profiler, they could use your expertise.  :whistle:

I know, right? But people keep telling me that using fire to fight fire, or in this case, psychopaths to deal with psychopaths is questionable. I don't see how something like that can go wrong.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

Okay, now I know you have to be kidding, because no reasonably intelligent adult could make such an ignorant statement and mean it.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

Most of it is a joke, yes. I know I can deal with people who clearly have issues - violent and such, criminals, I've dealt with them enough in my life to know how to approach them. The last of my posts were obviously jokes - real psychopaths are really, really sick. I am considered a sociopath for being way different than normal people, but despite my attraction to sharp objects, I am in control of myself. Psychopaths aren't.

I was serious when I said that if it was in my country, I could reason with the man; I found myself being able to reason with a lot of people who share similar characteristics as what is described here briefly. But if he is really, really sick, obviously no one can reason with him. And thus is why I carry a bunch of knives just in case.

I have effect on people, I know I can reason with some others would find challenging, but yeah, I do know a lot are a lost cause even for me.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »

You're "considered a sociopath"? That explains a lot of things. Since you are so "in control", hopefully you will be able to control your "sociopathic tendencies" and be able to interact in a social forum such as this one. I realize it's difficult, based on my understanding of true sociopaths, but I'm sure you'll do your best.

There were no survivors.

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

You're "considered a sociopath"? That explains a lot of things. Since you are so "in control", hopefully you will be able to control your "sociopathic tendencies" and be able to interact in a social forum such as this one. I realize it's difficult, based on my understanding of true sociopaths, but I'm sure you'll do your best.

"Sociopath" by ignorant people, who cannot tell the difference between "strange" and "dangerous", and I am pretty sure you are not one of them. I shared a little of the characteristics back before my spiritual awakening, and that is why appeal to people who truly have something wrong with them. If you haven't noticed, I am nice, compassionate and trying to help, not manipulate and hurt people for my own amusement.

And yeah, that post of yours kind of offended me.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »

I'm sorry you were offended, I was just commenting on the words you chose to describe yourself, and realizing that they did explain a lot. It gave me an understanding and insight into your posts that I didn't have before.

There were no survivors.

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »

I'm sorry you were offended, I was just commenting on the words you chose to describe yourself, and realizing that they did explain a lot. It gave me an understanding and insight into your posts that I didn't have before.

Alright then. I do see your choice of wording. Still, we are cool. And yes, do not worry, I'll get along with people here just fine. I like it here.

VisionFromAfar

• Vanquiser of Foolishness
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood: :raven:
  • Spiritual Path: Under construction.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »

This has been split/created for the reasons I listed in the original thread. Feel free to continue.
A man listens thus he learns. - Havamal

It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »

Was done for right reasons, mister Vision, yet I am not sure if that argument isn't over. Yet, I do have an idea.

Do you guys think psychopaths and people who are deranged /be it because they are full of rage, sorrow or something else and just can't deal with reason/ can be reasoned with?

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »

I think real sociopaths aren't capable of love. I don't think you're a sociopath, Rovay, from how you felt about that girl--then again, sociopaths can become obsessed with people, but I still think it's pretty rare. As I've said, I think people mistake strange people for sociopaths, when in reality sociopaths are usually charismatic, like cult leaders. I think people are born sociopaths, so I'm not mad at them for being sociopaths, but I do get mad when they do bad things. I think it would be hard to reason with a real sociopath because sociopaths are extremely manipulative, so they could seem like they're understanding but really they're just trying to make people like them.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »

Profile of the Sociopath: http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »

Looks like most of what I said was right. That profile...it's disturbing how well it describes my ex!

Rovay

• Rusted from the rain
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »

Profile of the Sociopath: http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

Also, has grammar mistakes.

Yeah, I am not a sociopath. Was close to it, though. Back in the day, when my misanthropy was my main characteristic, I did enjoy manipulating people - not for my own amusement, but because I found myself thinking that this way I was able to bring justice to the world, and punish those who deserved it. I was cold and emotionless, still am, but now it is more than the steel of patience and wisdom than anything else. I was close to a sociopath back in the day, but I always had my sense of justice - I just didn't know it wasn't my job  to pass it. I helped plenty of people, sure, but I thought that my job was more than that, and my focus was to bring order through punishment. I was able to break a person into pieces, attack each weakness, break every psychological spine I wanted in anyone and send them to the edge of the abyss. It is a weapon I regret having, and never really abused, but most of all, weapon I regret I shared. I gave it to two people, 10 months before my reawakening, and one of them caused more damage with it than I ever did.

Anyway, hence I found my path and swore myself to the good side, if we may say so, I am by definition the tough-love  type of hero nowadays. I may speak harshly at times, to beat the wisdom in the heads of people, but I am a savior - it is what fulfills me, what I do best, and it is why people keep on seeking me for help.

Sorry for the little stray. Anyway, I've met a lot of people, some who's minds are different than others, some that are just brutal - and there was always a way to weaken them, always a way to get to their good side. I believe I am able to negotiate with psychopaths because I have. And yes, they are manipulative, but that won't work on me. I know manipulation in and out, and anyone who is maybe just confused and messed up for awhile can't step on my little toe. Hell yea, I can reason with a lot of them. Tougher than them, stronger than them, scarier than them.

Charismatic they are, oh yes. One of my trustees, a 15 year old, was involved with a 30 year man like that. His desires were... far from normal. She always said that when she went out with him, she felt in trance; anything she wanted to say, she forgot, and every time she got angry and yelled, he seemed to submit, but had no effect, as if he could read her mind. I did tell her "Introduce me to this man, when he sees you have someone stronger in your life, he will find boundaries.", but she was too afraid I'd scare him away just when she was falling in love with him.

You can reason with them, but only if you are strong enough. Any weakness they find, they will abuse. When I was like them, it was the weaknesses of people that made me hate them. And when your primary goal is not to be weak, you become helluva lot strong.

I find psychopaths pathetic now, really. So sadistic, not able to control the animal urges in them, the desire to cause pain... it all disgusts me.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »

I think it is interesting that folks are trying to diagnose and self-diagnose mental illnesses here that are not qualified for.  These type of things are best left to mental health professionals and those people trained in law enforcement.  I had a relationship once with someone who held a gun to my head and danced around my bound form with a butcher knife playing Helter Skelter at max volume.  His eyes were blood red at the time and the incident scared the crap out of me.  I don't know if he was a sociopath or a psychopath but I do know that I needed to be away from him.  That is about as close to someone like that I ever want to be.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »

THAT'S SCARY.

I don't mean to diagnose people without qualifications; it just helps me feel better to be able to have an explanation for what happened. Maybe I shouldn't try to explain it that way.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »

I wasn't talking about you sweetie.  Sometimes it helps to realize that the person on the other end of an abusive situation is not right in the head.  My point was that it is good to get away from people like that and to let professionals deal with them.  In my case, he was arrested by law enforcement and left the state to avoid trial.
Blessings,
dragon

skullabyes

• Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:45 AM »

I think it's important to know that these conditions, pathological or not, exist. It gives us incite to someone's behavior. It tells us if we can safely walk along side a person.
There are people who are just not safe. And if we have a basic understanding that not everyone, regardless of what they say, is not always truthful and considerate of our best interests, we can better choose the ones we interact with, intimately or socially.
Mental illness often comes with some challenges and limitations. And those diagnosed and being treated
will often be aware and learn to process and adapt to these limitations. Others will gladly support them along the way and their lives can be emotionally and spiritually fulfilling.

However, most mental illnesses, very much like spiritual paths, are not an excuse to be inappropriate. They do not give one permission to behave in a way that is disrespectful, rude, obnoxious... you get the idea.
They are not a free pass to hurt another, physically, emotionally, or spiritually. There are no special rules. We all carry the responsibility of the impact we make on each other and the planet as a whole. Period.

Diniesaur, I admire your courage and am very glad you have this forum to be a support to you. Keep reaching and you will find!

diniesaur

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »

Thank you for the encouragement, skullabyes. I agree with what you said in principle, but I do want to point out one thing. It's more of a practical issue.

Sometimes, people might think others are being mean on purpose. Autism is more of a disability than a mental illness, but, like me, most people with autism have trouble telling what is inappropriate and what isn't. This sometimes gives others the impression that we are being inappropriate on purpose or, if we are diagnosed, just using our disabilities as excuses to do whatever we want. Some autistic people use it as an excuse to do what they want, but I think those people are rare and probably have other psychological issues in addition to autism.

An example of this is when I accidentally sexually harrassed someone in middle school. I feel bad for it now, but at the time I didn't know it was sexual harrassment or that it would hurt anyone. I will never do that again, but it's hard for people like me to know what kinds of things are inappropriate or make people uncomfortable unless people tell us. I'm trying to be very careful at my college because their definition of sexual harrassment is anything that makes people uncomfortable and has to do with sex (which apparently means I was sexually harrassed and no one did anything about it... :confused: ).

Sometimes, the best people like me can hope for is that we will make as few mistakes as possible, but that if we do, people will tell us what we did wrong so we can fix it and hopefully they will bear with us. That's why every time I enter a new forum I tell people about my Asperger's Syndrome and ask them to tell me if I do anything wrong so I can fix it (except for Wrongplanet because most people on there are autistic). I agree that people with disabilities and mental illnesses should never use them as excuses to do whatever they feel like, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes it's hard for Neurotypicals to tell if we're just doing whatever we want or if we really don't know that what we're doing is wrong.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

Neurotypicals? LOL That has the whiff of political correctness about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.