Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dick Clark  (Read 7686 times)

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
Dick Clark
« on: April 18, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »

A legend is gone. A man who helped define not one generation, but several. My mother told me "Bandstand" was the one show she, her sister and her brothers were allowed to watch BEFORE homework. I remember watching American Bandstand in the 70s and into the 80s. Meriah remembers Rockin' New Years Eve... especially after 9/11, and when he came back after his stroke. Dick Clark, the Oldest Teenager, the man who seemed as indestructible to me as John Wayne or my dad.... and now all three are gone. An era has passed, and future generations will be poorer for it. Seacrest cannot fill those blue suede shoes.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Mongo

• Dungeon Master of Irish Diplomacy
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
    • Mongo's Musings
Re: Dick Clark
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »

Oh dear. Looked at his portrait by accident?
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Mongo

• Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:26 AM »

<crickets>

No one got the reference?
“There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:22:53 AM »

Yes Mongo, I got the Dorian Grey reference... I just  wasn't in the mood to appreciate it. Still am not.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:51:58 AM »

:yeahthat: sorry...
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:52:09 AM »

:grouphug: My brother made me sad. I heard him say "Who is Dick Clark?" and entirely out of curiosity and not "Well I've never heard of HIM" sort of tone.

Mongo, I would appreciate the reference but... *hangshead* I'm not sure I get it.  :shame:
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »

Well, I'm sad that he died, but I have no idea who he is, so I can't really say much to help. He's not a Pagan leader, is he? I don't think he is because I saw some of my Christian friends sad about him, too.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »

<crickets>

No one got the reference?

Yes, we got it. *crickets*
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »

Well, I'm sad that he died, but I have no idea who he is, so I can't really say much to help. He's not a Pagan leader, is he? I don't think he is because I saw some of my Christian friends sad about him, too.

Really? How soon they forget. He was still active while you were alive.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

diniesaur

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Something to do with Set and possibly Bast
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:59 AM »

Really? How soon they forget. He was still active while you were alive.

Does he have to do with television?

...if so, I probably don't know him. I think the only actors whose names I know are Billy West and Sarah Michelle Gellar, and I'm not even sure I've spelled her name right. Oh, and Tom Cruise, but not because I've seen any of his movies. I'm no good at learning the names.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »

Dini, Dick Clark wasn't an actor, he was a legend in the music and televesion industry. He was the longest host of AMERICAN BANDSTAND, and NBC's New Years Eve programs. A true genius, especially behind the scenes.

Wolfie: the novel DORIAN GREY is about a man who makes a deal with the devil for eternal youth. He has a painting of himself that ages instead of him doing so. The rule: he can't look at the painting. When he does, he dies. Mongo was making a joke based on Dick Clark's nickname of America's Oldest Teenager.

Wookie8662

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic solitary
  • Walking Carpet
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »

He was (one of) the most friendliest TV personalities ever.
He will be missed by many.
“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.” - Lewis Carroll

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »

I will miss him, he was a familiar face for a very long time. he did seem to enjoy his gift of life even after his stroke. I liked him before the stroke, I respected him after it, he didn't know the word quit.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

Wolfsrain

• Journeyman
  • Mood: :hanging:
  • Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »

Wolfie: the novel DORIAN GREY is about a man who makes a deal with the devil for eternal youth. He has a painting of himself that ages instead of him doing so. The rule: he can't look at the painting. When he does, he dies. Mongo was making a joke based on Dick Clark's nickname of America's Oldest Teenager.

Oooh...  :duh: Must read this book now. Thank you, Bron. :D
"I am certain of nothing, but the Holiness of the Heart's affections and the Truth of the Imagination." -John Keats

Mongo

• Global Moderator
    • Mongo's Musings
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »

He will be missed and I am sad to see him go.

I only made the joke because that's how I am. I like to poke gentle fun at celebs. Unlike so many who take it to extremes nad get downright nasty.

I made plenty about Steve Irwin when he died. The worst of which was "Right, ere’s a right cheeky cherub who with the slightest thought, could curse or bless a man’s soul…I’m going to poke him with a stick."

(30% funnier when spoken with an Australian accent)

So I did not mean to offend, that's just how I like to remember people that have gone that I liked.

Besides, my will states that I do not want a funeral. I want friends to come over and tell all the flubs, fumbles, slips of the tongue, creative ways I've injured myself...all of that.

When my wake is done there won't be a dry eye in the house.

From laughter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.