Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spam/Obnoxious Phone Calls  (Read 7054 times)

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
Spam/Obnoxious Phone Calls
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions of realistically and non-offensively getting rid of companies that call for whatever reason be it sales or debt collection (for other people no less)?  I'm on all the no call lists, but there have been at least two different people who have had my phone number in the past and both are on the bill collector's hit list.  I really thought that after a while the calls would eventually stop when the idiots finally figured out that they wouldn't be getting a hold of those previous users and they did finally slow down and nearly stop for a while.  Lately, though, we have been getting inundated with calls.  One group in particular calls 4 or 5 times a day and never leaves a message.  I usually ignore these calls and most people eventually go away, but these numbnuts like to call at like 8am EVERY SINGLE DAY.  It is really starting to tick me off.  I know that there is at least on other number that keeps calling that is from some sort of identity fishing scam and it is only ever a recording asking you to call back.  There is never a person to speak to to tell them off and I refuse to call them because they can use that as a "I contacted them so I'm doing business with them" to bypass the no call list thing.

At this point, I don't want to change my number as I have it associated with way too much including a lot of my business stuff.  I did finally get a Google number to use for Shades, so it is a bit less of an issue than it was in the past, but there is still way too much that I have attached to that number.  Plus, we've had it for probably 6 years now.  I'm actually beginning to wonder if one of the lowlifes that had my number in the past is still putting it down on financial paperwork so they don't end up with the calls when they refuse to pay their bills.  :rolleye:
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
Re: Spam/Obnoxious Phone Calls
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »

Have you reported the number to the FTC? www.donotcall.gov has a form to fill out. It specifically says "You may also file a complaint if you received a call that used a recorded message instead of a live person (whether or not your number was on the Registry)."
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »

Didn't even know that was an option.  Thanks!
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »

Do we have a "webrat" smiley? ;)
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

agd_dga

• Pagan Women
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

My sister gets them a ton. The one spam place even had her bank account number, scary.

Wookie8662

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic solitary
  • Walking Carpet
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »

There is a 30 day grace period before the DNC kicks in.
But, its worth it once you are listed there.

Make sure to enter your home phone, and any/all cell phones.

It didn't stop all the calls, but it knocked it way down.
Anyone else trying to peddle through my phone gets reported.  :nono:
“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.” - Lewis Carroll

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »

The biggest problem (and one that a lot of folks don't realize) with the DNC list is that third party calls don't fall under that umbrella.  Say you have a credit card with a particular bank.  Because you have a "business relationship" with the bank, they are still allowed to call regardless of the DNC status.  I don't think anyone has an issue with that.  However, if that bank has a relationship with a third party, say someone peddling carpeting, that business (because of their ties to your bank) also can call you regardless of your numbers DNC status.  And I think (but am not positive) that non-profits are exempt as well.

As far as the bill collectors ... I had that problem with my cell phone number.  And the only thing that worked was to call them and firmly tell them that the jackwagon that had the number before me was apparently continuing to list it on accounts.  It took multiple calls and talking to supervisors, but I finally got them to stop. :rolleye:
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »

Well, I answered the call from the biggest current pain in my tooshie. They asked for the same twit that used to have my number and I told them nicely that it was the wrong number and that they needed to remove my number from their list.  They of course asked if I knew the person.  :rolleye:  Yeah, I normally converse with the people that used to have my number.  Just for the hell of it.  I got a little more firm, told them no and that that person has in no way shape or form been associated with my number in well over 6 years and to remove MY number from their list.  If I get another call in the morning before I've had my cup of coffee I will be answering and letting them know that I will be reporting them.  It took threatening the last dorkwad that tried to pull this crap with me that I was keeping track of every single call and I'd be turning that information over to my lawyer and I'd be filing a harassment suit.  I don't like having to do that kind of thing, but I won't hesitate if they are going to be complete SOBs about calling.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:12:48 AM »

Oh, that reminds me.  If you have solicitors calling, never tell them to "take my number off your list" ... their list is a do-not-call list.  Instead, tell them specifically to "put my number on your do not call list" (though this wouldn't apply to collection calls).  Once you've requested that, I think they have a few days but they can't call again.  In cases where they repeatedly call, log the days/times and you can file a complaint with the BBB or (if you have the time and inclination) sue them.  I think the current going rate is $500 per occurrence ... but that log is critical if you go that route. ;)
Albert Einstein

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »

Airhorn into the phone. Just sayin'...  :whistle:
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Fox

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »

It was a beautifully quiet morning around here.  :fingerscrossed:  Hopefully it stays that way.

Crystal Dragon

• Administrator
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »

Airhorn into the phone. Just sayin'...  :whistle:

:rotflmao:

Or you can mess with them.  There are a number of folks with websites that advocate wasting solicitors time (it's less time they have to bug someone else, so less chance they'll "make a sale") if one has the time or inclination.  I remember reading one account where a woman kept a magazine salesman on the phone for 15 or 20 minutes asking him to describe the magazines he was peddling, commenting on those that she thought might be interesting.  When he was practically salivating at the thought of making a huge sale he asked her which she wanted to order at which point she replied "Why would I but a magazine?  I'm blind."  :crazylaugh:
Albert Einstein

wellpriestess

• Mood: content
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Witch
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »

I get them too actually, although not too much that early in the morning. . They are very irritating.

I was able to block individual numbers through my phone service online, but the callers managed to get around that and used different numbers.  It's a shame because it was working for a little while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.