Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "Busy" Trap  (Read 7143 times)

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
The "Busy" Trap
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

Interesting opinion piece I think we all should read:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/?smid=fb-share
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: The "Busy" Trap
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

I read that. The guy had some good points in that we do create much of that for ourselves. On the other hand, I thought he's obviously never been a mother of young children.  :whistle:
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »

That is interesting.  I knew that when I am upset, I become very busy as a method to distract myself - I guess I can see how that can become a way of life.  And then there is the recent experience of getting sucked into someone else's distraction.  But really, the best moments of life are those indolent and lazy ones.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Crystal Dragon

• Resident herbalist and ninja healer extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :bluedragon:
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with Celtic/Native American influences
  • Crystal Whisperer
    • Crystal's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »

On the other hand, I thought he's obviously never been a mother of young children.  :whistle:

:yeahthat:

But really, the best moments of life are those indolent and lazy ones.

and :yeahthat:

People think I'm anti-social because I don't want to get into that rut.  And management (at work) doesn't know how to deal with someone who refuses to put work before family or their own life.  I actually feel sorry for most of them.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. 
Albert Einstein

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »

On the other hand, I thought he's obviously never been a mother of young children.  :whistle:

:yeahthat:

But really, the best moments of life are those indolent and lazy ones.

and :yeahthat:

People think I'm anti-social because I don't want to get into that rut.  And management (at work) doesn't know how to deal with someone who refuses to put work before family or their own life.  I actually feel sorry for most of them.

I hear that, CD! And we all know my job isn't nearly as high tech as yours! Yet, even on my level, it seems that those of us who refuse to put the job before the family don't get far. Know what? It may be frustrating at times, but I'll take it. I waited long enough to have a child, I have no intention of missing those lazy times with my girl.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »

I can't give my opinion on this piece because of profanity filters. HE is the one who is boasting- he thinks four or five hours of work is all one needs to do to live, and the cure for being busy is going off to live in an art commune in the south of France. Dude, a few of us are having a little bit harder time of it.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

Fox

• Technical Admin and Board Mama
  • Administrator
  • Mood: :coffee:
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Pagan
    • Journey of a Wild Spirit
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »

I couldn't finish reading the piece, honestly.  While the guy starts with some good points, he goes and throws it all in the trash when he starts to complain about having to work more than 4 or 5 hours a day and his ability to just go and do whatever he feels like gets curtailed by real responsibility.  Most people absolutely cannot afford that kind of lifestyle.  While my Hubby is in a very good job (both financially and in how the company treats employees), he cannot expect to keep that job if he only worked 4 or 5 hours a day.  He has also been in jobs where the company felt like they should be the reason for living (and way too damn many companies are like that instead of understanding that people have jobs to be able to afford the families they love) and life was absolutely miserable, so we are beyond lucky for him to be where he is now.

Like EM said, this guy obviously never had kids.  Kids do need more than blatant, unstructured free time when not in school.  If it were up to my kids, they would live on the computer, in front of the TV or the video games.  I think they need some time to do what the want, but they also need other activities to help them grow as individuals.  With the way many schools are these days, there aren't all that many places for that even in school, so it is up to the parents to give it to them at home.  I won't schedule even most of their free time with activities because I like having my own free time and time with my Hubby, too.  The thing this guy fails to get is that it is about finding a balance that is healthy and enriching all the way around.  Like all things that need balance, that doesn't mean it is the same day in and day out.  That balance is constantly shifting.  Sure, there are times when it seems like things get crazy around here, but there are also times where we just don't have much, if anything, going on outside of school and work.  Both are worth it in my book because we ALL enjoy the crazy busy and the chill time.
PMS ... just kill something and have some chocolate, then you'll feel better. - Crystal Dragon

Journey of a Wild Spirit - My Blog

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »

LOL, sounds like this struck a bit too close to home for some.  :D

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

I can't give my opinion on this piece because of profanity filters. HE is the one who is boasting- he thinks four or five hours of work is all one needs to do to live, and the cure for being busy is going off to live in an art commune in the south of France. Dude, a few of us are having a little bit harder time of it.

I dunno.  I thought he did a good job of admitting that he realizes his lifestyle is a luxury and that people who are struggling don't have the time or energy to be "busy". 
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »

Yes, he said that right off at the beginning.

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »

"Rest is not quitting one's busy career
Rest is the fitting of oneself to one's sphere"

Or something like that. Comes from a book of Sanskrit proverbs I used to have.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

bluefire

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
    • My Blogsite
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »

Balance. We all need balance, yes? I work hard -- both in my job and in keeping up with life. Finding -- and enjoying -- quiet times are just as important. Like my father used to say, "Sometimes you have to hurry up to relax".
“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”
Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »

I read something once that even though Americans enjoy much more leisure time than ever before in history, we feel like we have less leisure time than ever. I think the problem is we are caught up doing a lot of things that don't feel very meaningful or feed our souls.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.