Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it normal to feel this lost?  (Read 7361 times)

tmw7245

Is it normal to feel this lost?
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »

Hello Everyone-
Not really sure where to start so I will just jump right in. For some time now I have been feeling a little lost with my spirituality. Most recently my family and I moved to a larger city for work after my husband was laid-off from his job. Since the move we have done nothing but struggle. Because of the inability to make ends meet I got very depressed. So I turned to "faith" and got the feeling like "faith" turned on me. I know that it didn't but because of that feeling I knew there was something missing in my spiritual life. One day "something" drove me to find some books that I had bought a loooong time ago about astrology and spells. I got online that same day after looking through the books and came across Wicca. I knew a little about Wicca but never really thought much about it other than what was drilled into me by Christian parents. This day was different. It seems to be like a duh, this is what you are looking for moment. From that day to this it is all I can think about. It is the first thing on my mind when I wake and the last thing on my mind when I sleep. I spend most of my time online looking for anything I can find. Which is how I found this site. I was looking for someone in my area that was Wiccan. Why was I looking for someone? Because I feel lost and confused and unsure. I don't know what to do. I know that the journey down this path is going to take work, but what is my first step. I don't know anyone that practices paganism. So, therefore, nobody to just sit and talk to. I just want to know where to go from here.
Any guidence would be wonderful. Thank you for letting me emotionally unload.   

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
Re: Is it normal to feel this lost?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »

You've already made a start. Research. Read. Hang around here and join in the conversations.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »

You've already made a start. Research. Read. Hang around here and join in the conversations.

I agree.  Reading is probably the best way to start on this path.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

I agree with the others. Read some good basic beginners' books. And yes, I think it is normal to feel quite lost like you do right now, but it's a pretty sure bet you won't always feel that way. :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Wookie8662

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic solitary
  • Walking Carpet
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »

From that day to this it is all I can think about. It is the first thing on my mind when I wake and the last thing on my mind when I sleep. I spend most of my time online looking for anything I can find. Which is how I found this site.

I would say that you are doing just fine.
As everyone else has said, reading is the best method to help you on your way.
“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.” - Lewis Carroll

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »

And yes, it is normal to feel this lost. It's a new path, so you have no idea where you're going. :) While you're reading, I would recommend writing down things that make sense to you, and why they resonate with you (if you can put your finger on it). Similarly, if something seems to totally not make sense, see if you can put into words "why". That can help you start to see similarities between various paths or schools of thought and may help you decide on a direction as you go along...
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Tirya

• Zen Master of Cupcakes
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan with strong Wiccan influence
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »

On a more hands-on level, taking the "what resonates and why" - you've said that reading about Wicca gave you a "duh, this what you've been looking for" feeling. Wicca (and paganism in general) is very cyclical - what can you do to become more aware of the natural cycles around you? Day/night, sunrise/sunset, the moon waxing and waning, the seasons... Do you have a garden or a planter box where you can get involved with and nurture the birth/death/rebirth cycle on a small, hands-on scale? Just some thoughts on how to bring the awareness into your daily life, even if you're not sure yet about the more "complex" questions like rituals or Gods or Sabbats.
My train of thought derailed.

There were no survivors.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »

To answer your thread question: Yes.

Read, read, and read some more. Do not take everything you read on the internet as gospel truth. Stay away from "New Agey" nonsense and extreme Feminist stuff.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Celtic Dragon

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:25:30 AM »

Reading is the best start on your journey. May I suggest a book, "Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft." While this book does not completely explain every facet of Witchcraft, it provides many ideas. In reading your post I noticed you have a strong desire to learn; hopefully armed with these ideas you will formulate a plan. The book will give you a clearer view on Natures cycles, rituals, tools, and important Holidays and Festivals. I hope this helps.

OrchidRaven

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:37 AM »

I just want to say welcome lol I think everything else has been said... I am also new to this site but I'm sure you can ask question freely as they come up  :D
Always Be True To Yourself

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:36:12 AM »

Reading is the best start on your journey. May I suggest a book, "Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft." While this book does not completely explain every facet of Witchcraft, it provides many ideas. In reading your post I noticed you have a strong desire to learn; hopefully armed with these ideas you will formulate a plan. The book will give you a clearer view on Natures cycles, rituals, tools, and important Holidays and Festivals. I hope this helps.
There are better books out there for beginners, IMO. We have book lists elsewhere on this site.
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:19:14 AM »

I would have to agree with Bronwym.  Uncle Bucky's Blue Book is better suited as a teaching tool for those ready to weed out the truth from the misinformation.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

I recommend A Witches' Bible, by Janet and Stewart Farrar.

http://www.amazon.com/Witches-Bible-The-Complete-Handbook/dp/0919345921
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.