Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Karma and Beliefs Discussion  (Read 15168 times)

Starbrightmoon

• Wandering Beneth A Starry Sky
Re: Re: Karma and Beliefs Discussion
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »

Actually, based upon what you have said, perhaps you should read a book like The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Have you considered New Atheism?

Or, if you're up for a quiz, Religious Tolerance has link to a neat "Belief System Selector" quiz that hits pretty close.  When I started poking around pagan paths I used that to narrow my search. ;)

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/
This is the first time I've taken one of these quizzes and Satanism wasn't in the top 3 (heck it wasn't even listed!)
Looks like either I've changed over the years or the quizzes are getting better.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Stormjester

• Spiritual Path: Wicca
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »

I am not by nature or profession a peaceful man.

The Quakers are good people.  I wish more people were like them.  I am not like them.

Neo-Paganism is, by nature, a peaceful religion. Harm None and all that. So I don't see how it gets you anywhere. This entire exercise appears to be one of self-deception.

Man Yellow

• Apprentice
  • Mood: Normal
  • Spiritual Path: Currently being re-assessed.
  • More Fun Than You Really Wanted
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »

The Quakers are good people.  I wish more people were like them.  I am not like them.

Neo-Paganism is, by nature, a peaceful religion. Harm None and all that. So I don't see how it gets you anywhere. This entire exercise appears to be one of self-deception.

Balls.  I bet some of those Norse guys still like to get rowdy.
Think of this world as a prototype; a flawed and half-complete model for something better, which was later built somewhere else, and for other people.

Man Yellow

• Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »

Hmmm...

Zen and/or Shinto.

Hinduism?

Requires more reading.
Think of this world as a prototype; a flawed and half-complete model for something better, which was later built somewhere else, and for other people.

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »

Ah, but, you see, we are not "pagans."
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Man Yellow

• Apprentice
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »

Depends on who defines the term.  By my prior belief system, everyone's a Pagan unless they're some kind of Christian sect.

You'll forgive my ignorance when it comes to terminology.  This is all very new to me.

Moonshine Thistlewish

• Apprentice
  • Tell me true.
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »

Depends on who defines the term.  By my prior belief system, everyone's a Pagan unless they're some kind of Christian sect.

You'll forgive my ignorance when it comes to terminology.  This is all very new to me.

The rede only applies to Wiccans. The rest of pagan kind couldn't care less. In my experience.
"While my city sleeps / Where the lurkers creep / Is there still hope for me? / On these haunted streets." -  VooDoo Glow Skulls

Man Yellow

• Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »

The rede only applies to Wiccans. The rest of pagan kind couldn't care less. In my experience.

Oh, good.  Hinduism was starting to look like my only option, and it's really complicated.  It's a fantastic read, though.  All heroes and demons fighting, and then the hero gets the girl.  Or sometimes the guy, because a surprising number of their heroes were female.  Which is sort of refreshing when you reflect on the usual place of women in the Christian bible.

Jezebel comes to mind.  She was killed for staying faithful to her husband, so obviously her name is now a term for a prostitute or loose woman.

Moonshine Thistlewish

• Apprentice
  • Tell me true.
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »

Oh, good.  Hinduism was starting to look like my only option, and it's really complicated.  It's a fantastic read, though.  All heroes and demons fighting, and then the hero gets the girl.  Or sometimes the guy, because a surprising number of their heroes were female.  Which is sort of refreshing when you reflect on the usual place of women in the Christian bible.

Jezebel comes to mind.  She was killed for staying faithful to her husband, so obviously her name is now a term for a prostitute or loose woman.

Yeah, the Bible is full of whack-noodle stuff like that. I feel it can be summed up in one line. "Do this because we say so, but odds are we're going to kill you anyway and then lie about why." It's sort of an analogous to governments, I think, in my darker moments.
"While my city sleeps / Where the lurkers creep / Is there still hope for me? / On these haunted streets." -  VooDoo Glow Skulls

StarlingFire

• Apprentice
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »

It creeps me out when someone says, I'll pray for you.
...My response might be, "Ill pray for you too. Guess which god."

Personally, I wouldn't say that to someone nice enough to offer prayer in a crisis.
OTOH, it's PERFECT for LDS types.  :crazylaugh:

Are you suggesting that individuals who belong to LDS aren't capable of being kind?  I have a number of friends in LDS and have never had any of them offer to pray for me ... in fact, they are more accepting of my beliefs than friends who are Christian.

I have known some very kind LDS members, my maternal grandparents among them. And Mormons for Marriage Equality turned up in force at Pride this weekend.

StarlingFire

• Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »

Most Folkish groups believe that Asatru is a Northern European religion and may limit membership to those with that ancestry.  There is a lot of emphasis on the Ancestors and traditionalism in Folkish Asatru.  Not all Folkish people are racists, although there are some who might think so based on the exclusiveness.  Based on what you have said, I think you would be better off looking at Universalists - you might want to try The Troth. However, from what I can tell, both groups follow pretty much the same ritual formats and obviously use the same lore.  It might be advantageous to see different viewpoints if it is something interesting to you.

I don't know much about Asatru, despite having a close Heathen friend. However, I do want to say that I can understand ancestor-based religions actually calling for followers to have that ancestry... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, from that perspective, to venerate someone else's ancestors, although even that has some obvious exceptions, like marriage and adoption.

Then again, it's easy for me to say because I have ancestors from three continents.

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »

Asatru are reconstructionist Heathens and are not Neopagans.  As you pointed out above, inclusion in the general umbrella of paganism depends on your definition of paganism.  The Asatru men that I know (including my husband GW) are pretty serious about defending their kindred, and quite a few of them are ex-military.  I hear that some groups might get rowdy with excessive consumption of alchohol and such, but our family focused group is pretty tame especially when there are children there.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.