Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Traditional Witchcraft"---thoughts?  (Read 7494 times)

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
"Traditional Witchcraft"---thoughts?
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:11:17 AM »

Recently I was made privy to some books released by the Cultus Sabbati, a group that claims to be descended from what is known as "traditional Witchcraft." Regardless of whether or not I believe their claims there was an astounding wealth of information on herbalism in two books of particular note to me. The first was Viridarium Umbris, the Pleasure Garden of Shadow, and the second was Ars Philtron (the most comprehensive book on the brewing of potions/elixirs/etc I've ever seen).

However, most of the material regarding their practices wasn't suited for me. Given the dual-faith nature of their tradition their published works are saturated with Biblical refrences and mythos which doesn't really resonate with my core beliefs.

After looking a little bit into the community that identifies themselves as "traditional Witches" I was shocked to see that there is a certain level of disdain that many of them hold Wiccans in. I find that attitude to be highly detrimental to the Pagan community as a whole but I suppose that would be the subject of another post entirely.

Anyway, has anyone else come into contact with any of this material? If so, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the subject.

"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
Re: "Traditional Witchcraft"---thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »

They seem to claim some lineage "through both oral and written form" dating back to mediaeval European Witchcraft. Immediate red flag. It is a group which combines "trditional Witchcraft" with Chaos magic, based upon the writings of Austin Osman Spare. The tradition is not not ancient but likely efficacious, in that Chaos Magic can be an effective path. The grimoire AZOETIA seems to be well regarded in such circles.
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
Re: "Traditional Witchcraft"---thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »

Hrm. I haven't read any works by Austin Osman Spare, nor have I studied Chaos magic to any extent. The only real thing I found to be of interest amidst the pdf files of the Cultus Sabbati material are the books by Shulke regarding herbalism, and even then only bits of pieces of the folk lore and practices. I skimmed through Azoetia and it didn't really do much for me other than distract me with extremely provacative and slightly disturbing imagery here and there.

I absolutely love the depth of various ways to use herbal compounds. In Viridarium Umbris he talks of how to craft dusts and powders and fetishes in much more depth than authors I've read such as Scott Cunningham. The book also lays the groundwork for incorporating many practices into your life on a daily basis that I can see will help someone get more in tune with the green world.
"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 26 queries.