Sabbats/Holidays and Esbats > Samhain or All Hallows Eve

A little history behind Halloween

<< < (2/4) > >>

earthmuffin:
I wonder how difficult that will be as they are solid. We once carved the decorative gourds instead of pumpkins. They were pretty hard on the outside compared to a pumpkin but carved OK and were a fun alternative.

Eternal Seeker:

I've always found the turnip story hard to believe for that very reason, Earthmuffin. Also, turnips aren't very big compared to pumpkins- how could you fit a candle in it? One version of the Jack story I heard said that he carried a coal from Hell in the turnip as his only light, and that was why he could never find his way back- the light of Hell could not shine on hallowed ground. That makes sense as far as the story goes; the turnip to protect his hand from the coal. But I don't see how it would work in real life.

peace,
ES

earthmuffin:
Maybe it wasn't a real jack-o-lantern, ES, but more like a candle holder? I could see that-- it would be far easier to carve out a space for the candle and to use the turnip as a holder to protect your hand from dripping wax and the flame.

Ghost Wolf:
Back in the old days, beeswax candles were for the rich. Most likely they would have had tallow in them with a wick.

Tirya:
If you Google "turnip lantern" there are some images, so evidently they can be hollowed out...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version