Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your Esbat tradition?  (Read 14972 times)

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Pagan
What's your Esbat tradition?
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »

I'm always curious to learn more about how my fellow Pagans incorporate their beliefs and practices into their lives.

What do you guys typically do for an Esbat ritual, if anything?

PS I'm also looking for some unique ideas to add to the usual blend of Esbat festivities.
"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein

earthmuffin

• Mystical Woodland Sprite
  • Global Moderator
  • Mood:
  • Spiritual Path: hedge witch/earth bunny
  • A lunatic and proud of it
Re: What's your Esbat tradition?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »

I haven't done anything for over a year (other than acknowledging the moon) but was just wondering if I will feel up to doing a ritual tonight.

I used to do the whole ritual bath and full solitary Esbat ritual, always after others had gone to bed (I have small children) and as close to midnight as possible. But it often was too late and I would end up going to bed before I could do the ritual. I've been thinking about redoing my ritual format but have not really come to any firm plans yet about what I will change. If I do something tonight, I will probably just wing it. Previously I looked up each full moon's significance and the astrological forecast to help decide the focus of my Esbat ritual.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »

I don't guess I really have a tradition per se for Esbat.  I used to do Solitary rituals on occasion but mostly, I would look at the Moon if I could and think about the particular Esbat giving thanks for the Lady's bounty and influence in my life.  I often do Tarot readings at the Full Moon for whatever issues I am facing - I did one yesterday in fact. 

Lately, I have been attending open circles whenever possible for Full Moon and I imagine I will continue to do so.  We do Red Tent Temple around the New Moon which is pretty cool too.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »

Lately, I have been attending open circles whenever possible for Full Moon and I imagine I will continue to do so.  We do Red Tent Temple around the New Moon which is pretty cool too.

Red Tent Temple? I've never heard that term before. Attending open circles is a really good idea, I'll have to look into that. On witchvox there hasn't been much listed in my area of Upstate NY though, and one inquiry I sent out a couple of months ago to a local group was never given a response. I'll have to check back periodically to see if something else becomes available.

My Esbat to celebrate the Harvest Moon was very simple. I sat outside and basked in the moonlight, letting the night songs of insects wash over me while enjoying a cup of warmed milk sweetened with honey. It won't be much longer before the nights are relatively silent in my area but for the wind through bare branches.
"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player." - Albert Einstein

AmberRaven

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Wiccan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »

Well I run a coven so we do Esbats most months (sometimes people are sick and what not) but we usually always follow the particular theme of that moon. Sometimes tho other needs arise and we will do other things

Schizophrenia: We are an army of two.... or more

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »

Red Tent Temple is a women's group who usually meet at the New Moon to discuss women's mysteries and issues.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »

Green Seeker, have you tried Meetup.com?
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »

There's got to be an enclave of witchy folks near you, GS. I've ordered some magical herbs from someone in Elmira (alchemy-works). That's not too far is it? Also Susun Weed is in upstate New York. I would think if you got into any of the herbalist circles you would find yourself some like-minded folks to hang with.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." The Dalai Lama

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »

Green Seeker, have you tried Meetup.com?

Nope. I'll have to check that out...

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »

There's got to be an enclave of witchy folks near you, GS. I've ordered some magical herbs from someone in Elmira (alchemy-works). That's not too far is it? Also Susun Weed is in upstate New York. I would think if you got into any of the herbalist circles you would find yourself some like-minded folks to hang with.

Elmira is a little bit of a hike...I live right near big ol' Lake Ontario in the central region of Upstate NY, so anything down in the southern tier is a pretty long drive. I've never heard of Susun Weed..but a quick google search led me to her site. Fascinating. I'd love to learn more about her ways. My biggest interest in the pagan path is incorporating the spiritual essences of herbalism into my daily life and practice. Thank you so much for the lead!

BronwynWolf

• Pagan Women
  • Spiritual Path: Ban Droi
  • If Momma Wolf ain't happy...RUN
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »

Em.... Elmire is south of ME... and Green is way north. He'd be looking at about a seven hour drive!
"...If my body dies tonight, my soul rides on the wind...." (From "The Man" by Mark Ryan, music from Wuthering Heights)

http://astheworldgoesmad.wordpress.com

earthmuffin

• Global Moderator
  • Mood:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:17 PM »

I thought he was in Syracuse. That's only a couple hours, right? We used to visit family near Binghamton so I am sort of familiar with that general area.

Green Seeker

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:47 AM »

Syracuse area is right. I'm a little north of three. It'd take me about 2 1/2 hours to get to Elmira.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »

I am the High Priest of my coven, unless too many people are unavailable we get together. We try hard to come up with variations on form and content as the years go by.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 26 queries.