Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Coven or Solitaire for studying Wicca?

(1/2) > >>

Aestarel:
To preface, I am 17 years old and beginning to study Wicca. I have had an interest in paganism for more than a few years, but this is my deepest foray into it so far.
My question is, is it better to seek out a coven and learn from them, or to learn in private and then decide whether or not to join a coven? Right now I'm leaning towards solitary learning for the purposes of a. making sure it's what I want to do and b. learning a bit by myself to try to prevent making a fool of myself in front of others. However, I can definitely see reasons to seek instruction. What should I do, in your opinion?

Crystal Dragon:
It's your path and that's a question you must answer ... no one can answer it for you. ;)

That said, being under the age of a legal adult (18 in most states) it is unlikely you will find a coven willing to take you on before you reach that age.

Aestarel:

--- Quote from: Crystal Dragon on October 18, 2011, 01:42:57 AM ---being under the age of a legal adult (18 in most states) it is unlikely you will find a coven willing to take you on before you reach that age.

--- End quote ---
I did not know that. Good to be aware of. I suppose I can study solitaire for the next 5 months and then decide. :) thank you for the information.

diniesaur:
I'm seventeen and studying Wicca/Paganism, too! I'm doing it mostly on my own right now, but my mom and dad both let me go to pagan groups sometimes. I haven't gone to covens, though. So far, the suggested reading lists in the Library forum are helpful to me. Maybe they will be helpful to you, too.

BronwynWolf:
Diniesaur, what you've attended are basically open celebrations... a little different, since there isn't much actual teaching involved.

Aestsrel (and Dinie): READ READ READ Get your basics down, come up with a code of personal ethics, then maybe....Sometimes, joining or not joining a coven is a matter of availablity. Other times, it is a choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version