Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

The Necessity of Circle Casting

(1/12) > >>

FairyQueen:
I have noticed one consistency in my study of the pagan "sects*"  that use magick. Circle casting during spells/rituals/cleansings/etc. I vaguely, from what I read, understand that circle casting creates a "sacred" space. An almost spot light effect for the deity to hone in on you while you are doing your magickal workings. I might be wrong here, but I also understand a circle as a way to concentrate magickal workings to make the effects stronger - I could be wrong there though.

Okay, now the reason I'm creating this post: For a pantheist like me, who feels everything is divine and there is no "deity" per se, and that my energy (magick) is pulled from the Universe and the environment around me, how is casting a circle effective? Would that not be counterproductive? Wouldn't casting a circle block the energy from coming to me from my surroundings?

I realize that not everything that pertains to the magickal community will pertain to me, but I'm just concerned that if I do not perform something that is so uh...consistently performed in the magickal community that my workings will not be effective. (Not that I'm anywhere near comfortable yet, still learning)

*I know "sect" has a negative connotation, but its the best word I know to describe individual groups under the same umbrella religion. Sorry...no offense meant!

dragonspring:
The main reason for circle casting besides creating sacred space is to keep out undesirable energies and entities.  The circle does not block anything that should be in there or that you invite in. 

FairyQueen:

--- Quote from: dragonspring on November 15, 2011, 02:16:47 PM ---The main reason for circle casting besides creating sacred space is to keep out undesirable energies and entities.  The circle does not block anything that should be in there or that you invite in.

--- End quote ---

If everything is sacred or if all is divine is there any such thing as an "undesirable"? Could I not use its energy to my advantage as well? Does it not have its place? Am I making any sense what-so-ever?  :gaah:

BronwynWolf:
YOu are making sense, BUT... no, not all energy or entities are desirable or positive or easily worked with. I don't usually cast a circle if I am working on my home turf because I have the entire property warded. All things may be divine... but that doesn't make them all positive OR pro-human. Especially when you are first starting out, err on the side of safety.

Tirya:
Everything is sacred and everything is divine... that doesn't necessarily mean that everything is helpful or useful for a given work.

For example, chamomile might be great if you're doing something that requires you to be calm and relaxed, but it would not be appropriate to use in a working where you need to be alert and awake. Lemon or ginger would be better for that. Could you use chamomile? Sure. It wouldn't be as effective, though. For that particular work, chamomile is undesirable.

Let's say you have a whole bunch of loose herbs floating around. It would be easier to take the ones you need and put them in the tea ball, rather than throw everything in it and then try to pull out the ones you don't need after the tea has started brewing.

Another analogy - if you're in the library and trying to study with a group, is it easier for you to focus and get things done when there are only the few of you who are involved in the project, or when there's a kindergarten class running around you, coming up to see what you're doing, pestering you and looking over your shoulder? The children aren't "undesirable" in general, in the right situation with the right purpose. But in this situation, it would be better if they were kept away from what you were doing so you could focus on your project instead of having to worry about them.

Just my $0.02.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version