Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Questions, Questions, and more Questions...

(1/11) > >>

The Divine Mrs.H:
I mentioned before that I would have questions, so, here they are:

1.)  Where do I start? I have read through a couple threads, but am still confused as to where to start.

2.)  Can you cast a circle if you're solitary?

3.)  Do you guys believe in these dieties? Or do you suspend disbelief when "performing"?  As I stated in my intro, my husband is a satanist, and when performing a ritual he calls upon these dieties. However, it's almost like he's giving a name to an emotion.
      For example; When he does a compassion ritual, he would probably call upon Bast, but not because he believes Bast is going to fill him with love and happiness. It's like instead of saying "Hail compassion"!, he says "Hail Bast"!, like he's giving a name to an emotion or feeling. It's very theatrical, and when he's done and leaves his chamber, he steps back into "reality" (for lack of a better word). He calls it "suspending disbelief".  Is it the same here?

vordan:
1.Everybody starts where they will, but the first place to start in my coven is to start think about what you believe and what you hope to achieve on this path. Try to connect to the cycles of nature, the world around you, the Wheel of the Year and the phases of the moon. This phase will last until you are about 80 or so.
2. Yes a solitary can cast a circle.
3. Yes I believe in the dieties, how I percieve their reality may differ from someone else and is subject to change. There is no suspension of disbelief there is simply expression of belief.

dragonspring:
1.  I would agree with vordan on this.  Connecting with nature is a very good way to start.  Some of my first work involved greeting the Sun and Moon everyday with a short meditiation.

2. Yes.

3.  I believe in the dieties.  Some people view them in an archetypal manner which would be similar to what you described with your husband. I would point out that you said that your husband was LHP and did not specify that he was Satanist in your intro.  Satanism is not the only LHP. ;)

BronwynWolf:
1} Vordan has a fair answer. Connections and goals are important. Other than that: READ. I usually tell people to read mythology that appeals to them.

2} But of course. I used to all the time, when I was starting on a Wiccan path. Actually, while more energy may be found in greater numbers, it is easier to have only one director.

3} Yes,  I believe in the existance of the dieties. I may not work with all of them, since my loyalty is to specific ones, but I do know they are real.
Interesting side note, but if I were naming a deity for compasion, Quan Yin would come to mind a lot faster than Bast.

Rovay:
1. In my opinion, you should find whatever gives you strength - spirit, deities - to get the needed answer on where to start. I find it best to learn from higher powers than humans.

2. In my practice, solitary is the only way to go.

3. I also believe in all deities, but do serve only two of them. I don't have a shred of doubt in my heart about that, I know I draw my power from something. I ask of you this - if you do not believe in deities, how do you think you will have the energy to do what you want? Because my experience has lead me to believe that those of us who have the potential to do something don't possess it just because they are born this way, but because it is given to them. And I find it impossible to believe in them only when performing, but not out of that; it is simply out of the question. Then again, I walk a straight RHP, situations are probably way different.

Also, you can be as theatrical as you like, hehehe. Found that remark to be funny.

@BronwynWolf - not familiar with satanist rituals, but I myself find Bast to kind of be closer to what I imagine the practice of that group would involve. Quan Yin is more... straight-forward compassionate, I'd say, as you said yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version