Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

My theology and where to begin?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nicodemus:

--- Quote from: FairyQueen on July 29, 2012, 01:12:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: BronwynWolf on July 29, 2012, 11:16:37 AM ---Another thing I think you need to watch out for.... you seem to want to boil it down and compartmentalize everything. Where is the LIFE in your path? The joy? Your two posts here come across as very cut and dried and rather...empty. Just my opinion, based on the written word.

--- End quote ---

I agree with Bron's last thought. And I wonder why it is that you even need to define and lay out everything anyway? Who are you trying to convince, and why?

It sounds to me like you have everything you need already and now all you have to do...is, well, do it!

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the thoughts, FairyQueen
It seems I am trying to convince myself in a way.  :confused: I read a post here which made me think it would be good to present my ideas and try to see where they take me.

The issue is that I am not sure if my current view comes any where close to any pagan group currently existing? If there is some overlap that you or others recognise, please say, then perhaps I can start to investigate in that direction and see if I can improve on my current limitations.

I want to bring more joy and passion to my worship/religion, that's for sure. My limited impression of Paganism is that it has much to offer. :)

FairyQueen:
If you ask 5 different Pagans what Paganism is you'll get 20 different answers (or something like that). Probably even in the same group or coven. So, even if you did find a group to participate in, it is far more likely they still won't think exactly as you do.

diniesaur:
Hey there! :tongueroll:

I have my differences with both your and BronwynWolf's philosophy, but I won't go into it because in the time it would take for me to explain every nuance of my beliefs about the Universe (and once you get me started it's hard for me to stop), I would have already experienced something new that would force me to rewrite them. Part of your first post intrigued me, though, and I want to address it.

--- Quote from: Nicodemus on July 29, 2012, 05:59:10 AM ---I hope by summarising my existing theology someone might be able to recommend where I start looking? I accept that I will have to practice alone and that my theology will be eclectic in nature.

--- End quote ---

When I was first drawn to Paganism, I had a pretty similar philosophy to yours. As a fellow beginner, I can say that one of the most helpful things I've been doing is to try to read just about any resource I can find, even if it's from a completely different philosophy than my own. It's helpful to see different perspectives on things, and sometimes I find one that makes more sense to me than the one I already had, and I adopt that one. I'd be shocked--and slightly suspicious--if I found anyone with my exact same beliefs as me. This is a good thing!

I agree with FairyQueen and BronwynWolf about the life in your path. That's the most important part! I see Paganism as something that is with you all the time. It enriches everything I do, and it helps me deal with stress pain in my life. Before I go, I have one more thing to add:

--- Quote from: Nicodemus on July 29, 2012, 01:20:53 PM ---It seems I am trying to convince myself in a way.

--- End quote ---
Why are you trying to convince yourself? Or, rather, why do you have to convince yourself? They're your beliefs, not anyone else's. I wonder if this is where the problem lies.

Nicodemus:

--- Quote from: FairyQueen on July 29, 2012, 03:04:40 PM ---If you ask 5 different Pagans what Paganism is you'll get 20 different answers (or something like that). Probably even in the same group or coven. So, even if you did find a group to participate in, it is far more likely they still won't think exactly as you do.

--- End quote ---
You are right! As you said in your above post, it is just down to doing it! :)

Nicodemus:

--- Quote from: diniesaur on July 29, 2012, 08:05:37 PM ---Hey there! :tongueroll:
.... removed for space ...

--- Quote from: Nicodemus on July 29, 2012, 01:20:53 PM ---It seems I am trying to convince myself in a way.

--- End quote ---
Why are you trying to convince yourself? Or, rather, why do you have to convince yourself? They're your beliefs, not anyone else's. I wonder if this is where the problem lies.

--- End quote ---
Hello Diniesaur
Thanks for a reassuring post. It seems it I may be trying to fit myself into a pre-conceived idea of paganism or squeeze myself into a certain type of paganism before I begin. This has led me to doubt my philosophy above, as if it won't work. Like you it changes all the time, so it is useful to hear that you experience it  that way also. I will continue to read and build on it, but as I mentioned above to FairyQueen I will also put it in to practice.

Yes, the issue lies with trying to convince myself, it is a kind of perfectionism... I am trying to get it just right before I begin (which isn't productive). It is a mind trap that I am becoming aware that I tend to slip into  :omg:. I need to just get on with it! I will try and learn and improve as I go instead of trying to come up with something perfect first. :)

Thanks for your help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version