Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

earth based beliefs

<< < (3/4) > >>

Spinster:

--- Quote from: vordan on October 27, 2012, 07:04:59 PM ---Cotttonwood is a sacred wood, you can use it for a variety of things. Spanish moss can stuff poppets and the willows grow in the arroyos.

--- End quote ---

O good to know about cottonwood. Haven't found any yet, or willows although I know they are here. Spanish moss is everywhere!

Spinster:

--- Quote from: Tirya on October 27, 2012, 12:54:24 PM ---Fir and birch may be hard to come by (though you may find some birch near river bottoms). Mistletoe is common, however. Once the hackberry and cedar elm trees finish dropping their leaves, you should be able to spot some mistletoe (particularly in pastures or non-landscape areas). Around here (North Texas) it' very common, even in parking lots at the mall. Different species, but the same family, I believe.

--- End quote ---
I did not know that. I barely found mistletoe in New England. I haven't been to "non landscaped" places much. Still finding my way around. Pastures here are all fenced and posted.

dragonspring:
My daddy used to take his .22 and shoot mistletoe out of the trees at Christmas.  We lived in Ellis county.  I think he went to the creek where the trees grew a little taller to find it.

vordan:
I might mention also that many European trees are planted as ornamentals around buildings. Littlehip Hawthorne will grow along fences in Texas. How long have you been down there and are you fit enough to do some serious hiking? Are you alone, or do you have friends or family to walk with? You can find some awesome preserves and parks in Texas.

Spinster:

--- Quote from: dragonspring on October 27, 2012, 08:52:26 PM ---My daddy used to take his .22 and shoot mistletoe out of the trees at Christmas.  We lived in Ellis county.  I think he went to the creek where the trees grew a little taller to find it.

--- End quote ---

That is just TOO funny!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version