Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Which religion?

<< < (2/4) > >>

vordan:
You can be white and practice Voodoo, I lived once in New Orleans and many white people practice it and simplier Hoodoo practices. The way I describe my beliefs simply to others is that I am a pantheist, I believe that the divine energy is inherent in all things and manifests itself in all things. Everything is connected, everything is made of energy which is why magic works. Energy can not be destroyed just change form, we are eternal

crystal wolfstar:
True, as long as you can find someone to initiate you, there's no race requirement. But do it with the right motivation, because you love the Lwa and not the magic.

If you just want to do magic, Hoodoo is better, since it's African American folk magic, not a religion. Be warned, though, it's done with Judeo-Christian prayers and whatnot. If you're uncomfortable with this, then it's better to find something you ARE comfortable with. A lot of spells call for recitation of Psalms, etc. TONS of Hoodoo info here: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

Kodama:

--- Quote from: crystal wolfstar on February 16, 2013, 11:22:06 PM ---True, as long as you can find someone to initiate you, there's no race requirement. But do it with the right motivation, because you love the Lwa and not the magic.

If you just want to do magic, Hoodoo is better, since it's African American folk magic, not a religion. Be warned, though, it's done with Judeo-Christian prayers and whatnot. If you're uncomfortable with this, then it's better to find something you ARE comfortable with. A lot of spells call for recitation of Psalms, etc. TONS of Hoodoo info here: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

--- End quote ---

Though I believe in magic, I am not very talented, nor interested in it. I revere spirits, more than practice magic.

-Kodama

Ghost Wolf:

--- Quote from: Kodama on February 16, 2013, 11:07:04 AM ---Thanks for the suggestions!

Out of curiosity, which shamanic religions exist that allow white people to practice, and do not involve cultural appropriation?

-Kodama

--- End quote ---

Seidr.  http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/seidr.html

DisreputableMog:
I thought I might offer a little bit of a different opinion here; the biggest problem that I have with mainstream religion is that everything has to have a name and be quantified and labeled. But why? The way I see it, you have very good and positive beliefs that will lead you to good karma and happiness. Who cares if it doesn't have a name or a long detailed history?

If I was in your spot, when people asked me what religion I was, I'd just tell them it's complicated. If they want a name and badger you, tell them you're agnostic to get them off your back. It doesn't matter what you call yourself, or even, I think, what practices you mix in together. As long as you're doing good, for yourself and for others, that's all that matters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version