Welcome Guest! Pagan Journeys is an online community primarily geared toward Pagan paths, but all paths and spiritualities are welcomed here. Pagan Journeys is a place of community, learning, and growth for all of its members. You must either login or register to view all boards and features of this forum.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop Culture Paganism  (Read 9339 times)

Gandalf

• Spiritual Path: Heathenism
  • Hakuna your Matatas
Pop Culture Paganism
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »

What is your opinion on it? For me, I don't really mind incorporating it into my practices. For example, taking an elven phrase from Lord of the Rings, putting protective intent into it, then casting it is an example of Pop Culture Paganism.

Now, worshiping the seven gods from Game of Thrones is different. It's creating a thought form and putting energy into that thought form.

People tend to get PCP and actual fantasy mixed up a lot. Worshiping the three goddesses from The Legend of Zelda is fantasy.   Taking "Fus Roh Dah" from Skyrim and putting protection intent into that is Pop Culture Paganism.

Feeedback and comments are appreciated!

Eternal Seeker

• Wisest of Them All
  • Global Moderator
  • Spiritual Path: through the spiritual garden
    • CUUmbaya
Re: Pop Culture Paganism
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »

What you describe is something akin to Chaos magic. Personally, If I were going to invent a deity for a magical purpose, I'd invent my own name, rather than using a pop culture reference, jus because I'd know what *I* mean when I use the word.

peace,
ES
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons

dragonspring

• All Knowing Nymph
  • Administrator
  • Spiritual Path: Heathen Witch
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »

I am a traditional kind of girl - not into the pop culture stuff.  Privately, GW and I might have a good laugh about the tarot kit for "hip" witches we saw on the web last night, but I think people should practice whatever works for them.
Blessings,
dragon

"The word which shall come to save the world, shall be uttered by a woman." - Anna Kingsford

Ghost Wolf

• Master
  • Skeptical Inquisitor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »

Being a Witch, Pagan, or Heathen is to unplug from such puerile nonsense and listen to our own inner voice. One can not be in tune with the natural world while overloading on "pop culture."
"Welcome? to The Asylum, we have tea." -Emilie Autumn

Chadly

• Apprentice
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist
    • Contemplating Spirit
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »

Personally, I believe that if it has meaning for you, why not? In the past, I've utilized something called kuji-in, a Japanese martial arts chant/practice, which I was first exposed to in an anime I watch.

vordan

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Eclectic Wiccan Witch
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »

Feldrin who floats around here has a mad genius for thought form magic, he is creating his own grimoire. His he invents himself and puts much of his thought into them. The reason things like this can work at a deeper level is that types of energy are types of energy. It does not matter what you call lightening it is still lightening, a tornado is a tornado. The thought form connects to the power it represents.
"The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Mark Twain

FairyQueen

• Journeyman
  • Spiritual Path: Unitarian Universalist Pagan Witch
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »

I've actually only just recently encountered PCP while scrolling through Tumblr. I really have no say on it one way or another. I guess if it works for someone, let them have it. Our views on divinity are our own and whose to say Cthulu [or insert other pop culture reference here] as an icon is invalid?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.