Pagan Journeys > Beginner's Chat

Question on Shielding

<< < (3/8) > >>

Quotensilence:
I have been told and feel that I posses really one gift, and that gift is of love and empathy. When someone is hurt, in need of love and affection, needs a hug, is crying etc. I find myself feelign their pain. I have from time to time been known to cry with them.
I guess I wondered if I can practice and build up shielding myself, my home and whatnot, I wonder if i can practice shielding others outside myself. Does anyone think this is possible?

dragonspring:
Yes, it is more than possible.

However, my personal beliefs are that I shouldn't practice magic on someone else without their express consent.  By shielding another person, you may be preventing them from learning a lesson that they need in this lifetime.  Every time we manipulate energy, it is like throwing a rock in a pond.  There are waves of effect that spread across the pond from where the rock went in.  I'd rather not make waves in someone else pond unless they ask me to.

Fox:
I agree with Dragon in that unless someone asked me to, I would not include them in a shield.  Even then I think I'd be more likely to teach them to shield themselves rather than try to keep a shield of mine over them.

For me, I don't often find a need to shield, though I have and will (I also don't get out and around other people outside of family much either).  I really think the need to shield and what kind of shield depends on how easily you are affected by those around you and what it is that is affecting you.

If you are just able to experience another's emotions but it really doesn't impact your own emotions or ability to function, then you may find that you don't need to shield.  For those that are deeply affected to the point of not being able to separate the emotions and energies around them from their own or that they impact everything they do, then shielding becomes vitally important.

bluefire:
Quotensilence, You bring up two issues here, both the empathic state and shielding.

--- Quote from: Quotensilence on April 03, 2010, 08:46:39 AM ---I have been told and feel that I posses really one gift, and that gift is of love and empathy. When someone is hurt, in need of love and affection, needs a hug, is crying etc. I find myself feelign their pain. I have from time to time been known to cry with them.
--- End quote ---

Being empathetic to others is the natural human state of those who have not turned off their ability to care outside of themselves and it enhances our lives.  When that state is exagerated, it is a challenge that must be controlled or our own lives become chaotic.  That's probably a whole other thread.

--- Quote ---I guess I wondered if I can practice and build up shielding myself, my home and whatnot, I wonder if i can practice shielding others outside myself. Does anyone think this is possible?

--- End quote ---

The way we can control the empathic chaos is through shielding.  I agree with Fox and Dragonspring that I would not shield another person.  (Well, okay, when my children were young I did shield them sometimes.)  I am empathic and although I have shielded for a long time, I have recently gotten much better with it.  CD talked about multiple level shielding and since I've been doing that it is much more effective for me.  The actual layers need to be personal, but to give you an idea, this is an example of how I will shield when I know I am going to be bombarded with a lot of negative energy.

I start with a bath or shower to remove the negative sludge that may be accumulated around me.  I then imagine layers, starting with the layer closest to me.

* A soft pink light to embrace me and maintain my ability to care.
* A thin strong layer like mylar to hold in the pink light and repel any energy the makes it through the other layers.
* A thick filtering layer like insulation to catch the negative energies of others and keep those energies away from me.
* A thin repellent layer like Goretex to keep the most negative energies away.
Is this physological or magical?  Both.  By paying attention and preparing myself for succeeding through a difficult situation, I am setting myself up for success.  That said, I believe energies are real and we can impact those energies.  We draw from the Divine, the environment, ourselves, whatever our beliefs lead us to do.

Eternal Seeker:

I tend to treat shielding as a function of grounding; not creating a barrier, but a conduit to bleed energies into the ground. Not a shield, but a lightning rod.

peace,
ES

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version